6mm _________ you fill in the blank

This wasn't very nice of me:( I've been a part of a thread jacking. Sorry Sable :rolleyes:

Quite a few years ago with the advent of the 6.5 RSAUM, GAP or whatever you choose for a name, there occurred the usual, 'what would happen if we necked it down to 6mm?' As has happened with virtually every new case brought into existence, some crafty person immediately necks that case up and down as far as is physically possible just to be the first and to lay claim to that title and the naming rights.

Well, when we necked the 7mm RSAUM cases down to 6.5mm and got a handle on the process for the sake on consistency, we took a few cases with the necks turned and squeezed them down once more. Voile! 6mm RSAUM or whatever... :rolleyes: Now, stuff a premium 105gr. VLD target or hunting bullet into that case and you have the potential for a real screamer. It can be loaded down to 3150 fps to qualify for the PRS folks or filled to the rim with Retumbo and exit the muzzle at a sizzling 3,400 fps. And all of this accomplished (OMG!;)) in a short action using a standard SA magazine (2.825"), no muss, no fuss, no mess using a WSM box with cutouts. Actually the OAL was running 2.825" with those currently available VLDs.

Fast forward to the current day where we are reaping the benefits of yet another batch of new cartridge cases. Enter the 6.5 PRC.

Take some of the readily available 6.5 PRC brass and neck size it down to accept the 6mm bullet and you have the 6mm _____ (you name it;), I didn't...). Once again we have achieved a larger capacity 6mm cartridge which has an OAL of 2.806" using a 105 gr. VLD of your choosing and less powder than the 6mm RSAUM! Better yet, no mag boxes with little triangular windows needed. You can do a minor clean up on the neck but it hasn't been necessary yet. Velocity? 3150 fps up a bit over 3,400 fps., all with a 26" barrel.

Pretty neat, huh? :D What do you think?

You could call it the "6mm SCM" (Sub Compact Magnum). Ruger would maybe even be interested if they don't already have some test barrels:D

Last edited:
Yes, I did that a while ago also. Won the first PRS shoot I took it to. I didn't have any problem sorting brass since I was only one using the WSM case.

I'm a little disappointed since I was attempting a little seriousness blended with some tongue-in-cheek humor.:( But we can let it run and see what else gets thrown at it.

Sorry Sir. Carry on!!

More data just came in: 6 SST
RL23/115 vld ladder test and velocity @404 yards. shots 4 and 5 touching
6 sst RL26 ladder velocities.jpg
6 sst 115vld ladder RL26:404 yds..jpg

Last edited:
I like it: Very timely thread!!
The shooter "Lance Kenyon" Axis built PRS rifle, is at the range (AS WE POST) and just sent this first group.View attachment 112422View attachment 112423
6 SST @ 3500' max with 110 Sierra or:
3170' at low pressure H1000 load at 2.8' coal with ADG brass.
No forming necessary!!
**pic should say 6 sst not 6.5
Your supposed to shoot more than 1 shot when you shoot groups sir:D I've read a ton of Lance's reloading adventures. He can flat out shoot. Looks like you have another winner in the Sherman line. Talk about a sweet antelope/deer/dogsmasher rig.

Do what Nosler should have done with the 24 Nosler. Neck down the 26 Nosler case. That would be a screamer for a couple hundred rounds until the barrel was toast.

Every time I read about a new cartridge being necked down (or occasionally necked up) I think of the 284 Winchester. Many articles are written about the wildcatting that occurred with this futuristic case back in 1963. Imagine a rebated rim and a 35 degree shoulder back in 1963!

Hornady had this to say:

"The 1963 introduction of the 284 Winchester brought forth a furious round of wildcatting with the new cartridge.

I get a kick out of that furious part.....and it is still going on today with new cartridges.

I'd just call it the "6 Creedmoor Short Action Magnum", regardless of components. Because if it has the name "Creedmoor" or "Short Action" or "Magnum", it will sell like hotcakes. I can't tell you how many times I've heard in the last year or so people tell me "I'm gonna shoot a thousand yards, so I am buying a 6.5 Creedmoor". It's almost as if they think no other cartridge is capable of doing it. And no, I am not trying to turn this into a Creedmoor bashing fiesta...I have two.;)

In all seriousness, I do like the idea, and will probably add it to my list of guns I would build if I didn't have to worry about paying bills and stuff.

Quite a few years ago with the advent of the 6.5 RSAUM, GAP or whatever you choose for a name, there occurred the usual, 'what would happen if we necked it down to 6mm?' As has happened with virtually every new case brought into existence, some crafty person immediately necks that case up and down as far as is physically possible just to be the first and to lay claim to that title and the naming rights.

Well, when we necked the 7mm RSAUM cases down to 6.5mm and got a handle on the process for the sake on consistency, we took a few cases with the necks turned and squeezed them down once more. Voile! 6mm RSAUM or whatever... :rolleyes: Now, stuff a premium 105gr. VLD target or hunting bullet into that case and you have the potential for a real screamer. It can be loaded down to 3150 fps to qualify for the PRS folks or filled to the rim with Retumbo and exit the muzzle at a sizzling 3,400 fps. And all of this accomplished (OMG!;)) in a short action using a standard SA magazine (2.825"), no muss, no fuss, no mess using a WSM box with cutouts. Actually the OAL was running 2.825" with those currently available VLDs.

Fast forward to the current day where we are reaping the benefits of yet another batch of new cartridge cases. Enter the 6.5 PRC.

Take some of the readily available 6.5 PRC brass and neck size it down to accept the 6mm bullet and you have the 6mm _____ (you name it;), I didn't...). Once again we have achieved a larger capacity 6mm cartridge which has an OAL of 2.806" using a 105 gr. VLD of your choosing and less powder than the 6mm RSAUM! Better yet, no mag boxes with little triangular windows needed. You can do a minor clean up on the neck but it hasn't been necessary yet. Velocity? 3150 fps up a bit over 3,400 fps., all with a 26" barrel.

Pretty neat, huh? :D What do you think?

6mm284W. 3500 fps with 87 gr AMax. Best group .21" @100yds. 30" barrel w/ brake on 700 action. Prairie dogs only.

Or you could just run ~48 grains of Reloder 26 in a standard .243 Win and push the 105's to 3,400fps ....
There are lots and lots of options.

i am currently gathering components to build a 7mm saum on a stiller predator with the west texas ordnance switchlug system. my second barrel is going to be the 6mm PRC. i dont care what its called i just want one!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.