Preferred 6mm blank

KurtB

Building a lightish weight 6x45. 7-8 twist for shooting 95 and up grain bullets from 2,000 elevation and up. Never built a 6mm. Have owned Benchmark, Hawk Hill, Hart, Pacnor and Lilja with good success in other calibers. Bolt gun.

I built a 6mm x 45mm (6mm.223) and used a Hart 1-12 twist for up tp 87g bullets. Anything heavier just can't get up to speed when propelled from such a small capacity case. Mine loves Hornady 75g V Max and Sierra 80g Blitz for vermin (like coyote)

Just checked the Hart site. My old Harts were #2 contour and quite accurate. Definitely in the running.

MDT magazines let me seat out to 2.5 or so. Figuring I'll get a 95 Berger up to around 2550-2600. That'll check the boxes I want checked, though I won't rule out other bullet choices.

Got dies in route so will play around with seating length.

Last edited:
The IBI barrels I picked up last fall both shoot very well. Shoot as well as the benchmark/bartlien barrels I have, and they seem to be able to get barrels to me fairly quickly.

They better be nice for the price!!! dayum!!!
and I'm not willing to pay for an export permit and wait an additional 4-8 weeks for export processing.........
Consider yourself lucky. I've had to do exactly that many times as here in Canada we just don't have the options or availability. Becomes costly and I don't blame you for not wanting to go that route.

I didn't see that it was in canada...in that case...HARD PASS!!!!! I'll take American Made all day every day.
Nothing against Canada but we have many fine barrel makers and I'll be getting another Hawk Hill, Benchmark or Lilja it looks like. Checking turn times now.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.