68 grain Bthp. 223 AR

gohring3006

What are you guys using for powder with the 68 grain Bthp?
20" Colt Hbar 1-9 is what I'm using.
I have a local range with a 600 yard match. The 55 grainers don't cut it.

The Hornady 68 BTHP and 75 BTHP are the same length, presumably made using the same jacket and different amounts of lead. Both will feed from the mag and work well with a 9 twist.

I have had excellent results with these two bullets using LC brass, CCI 450's, and either IMR 8208XBR or AR-Comp.

If you are shooting in a discipline that involves single feeding, rather than rapid fire stages, the 75 AMAX is worth a look. From a 9 twist, it won't give you much of a bc advantage, but I have found the AMAX to be unbelievably consistent. These especially work well in a 5.56 NATO chamber.

Hornady 9th Edition load data is pretty good for this application.

I have some AR comp, BL-C 2, CFE 223, H4198, IMR 4064 to try.
I ordered the 68s before I read Benchracers post or I would have ordered the 75s.
Good info thanks to all.

Have you tried the 53gr vmax? From what I've read the .290 BC is a bit high but it's a pretty sleek little pill.

Hey Gohring, I have used h335 with the 68's, and TAC with the 75's. Both do well for me to 300 yards. Haven't gotten farther out yet. I want to try AA2495 with the 75's while it is still cool weather and compare later with summer results. Hornady 7th edition had good results with it.
Good luck , Erik.

Thanks to the info, I have the Hornadys newest edition, but mainly posted here for a shortcut to a good powder.

My biggest gripe, is why wouldn't Hornady make a 70 grain ELD for the slow twist guys..

I have used IMR4895 with 69 gr SMK out to 600 yards. However, my 1-9 shoots 77 gr SMK bullets better than the 69 gr SMKs at that range. Also, that particular barrel shoots 69 gr SMK better at 600 yards than the 75 gr Hornady OTM.

I suggest you try the 77 gr SMK at a distance in you barrel, then 75 gr OTM, then 69 gr SMK, etc to see which one shoots best.

IMR4895, H4895, or Varget should give you the best consistency.

Good luck

Jerry

I have loaded the 68 bthp with both cfe 223 and varget. I can't say I'm overly impressed with either but the varget held slightly better groups. But neither did better than 7/8" groups with any charge at a 100 yrds.

By comparison the same rifle will shoot 1/4" groups with the 60 gr v-max and cfe 223 @ 100

My next choice to try on the 68's is RL15, or RL16 if I can find it

I had trouble keeping the ES and SD's low with CFE 223 with most of the match bullets I tried, though I did get good speed. The lone exception was with 69 TMK's. I suspect that experimenting with different primers might have shown better results.

Strangely enough, I had the same problem with 69 SMK's, regarless of the powder I tried. Still scratching my head over that one.

I have found the 68 BTHP, 75 BTHP, and 75 AMAX bullets to be easy to tune for low ES and SD with both IMR 8208XBR and AR-Comp. Both powders also have good reputations for temp stability.

I had trouble keeping the ES and SD's low with CFE 223 with most of the match bullets I tried, though I did get good speed. The lone exception was with 69 TMK's. I suspect that experimenting with different primers might have shown better results.

Strangely enough, I had the same problem with 69 SMK's, regarless of the powder I tried. Still scratching my head over that one.

I have found the 68 BTHP, 75 BTHP, and 75 AMAX bullets to be easy to tune for low ES and SD with both IMR 8208XBR and AR-Comp. Both powders also have good reputations for temp stability.
Thanks, I'll try some AR comp first.

I shot the 68 Hornady out to 340 ish yards (the longest range I had access to at the time). 75 AMAX/ELD-M has been shot out to 600 yards from a 5.56 chambered rifle.