.223 68 gr bthp

I shoot the Hornady 68gr. HPBT's with 25.4gr RL-15. Average is 3,020 f.p.s. I am using L.C. brass and CCI Benchrest primers. Lee Factory Crimp Die. I would start at 24.8 and work up. The reduced loads for the Lake City brass is because of the thicker wall ie. less powder capacity, but I have actually seen some mil spec brass that had the same capacity as Rem or G.F.L brass. This is where you get the higher pressure of the 5.56 versus .223. Not to mention the chamber specs. Look for traditional pressure signs. I have used these to 600 yards and maintain .5 M.O.A. The 77gr Sierra HPBT's are better at 600 but at 300, these will do fine. I am working on a 2520 load and will keep you informed .gun)

brokenharley711
While your on the "powder merry-go-round" you might try VV N540 {26.2grs} Win case CCI mil #41 primer; using one of the better 69gr bullets in your 1-9 twist. It might give you what your looking for in your AR.
Oh.... by the way if I was going to use any of the AA powders I'd start with AA2015.... just a thought from my past use of the powder.

I shoot 69smks out of my custom 16 inch dpms with 23 grains of h322 with lake city brass and federal 205m primers I can put 3 rounds under .35. at 100 yads. Its not a speed round im only getting 2525Fps but it shoots **** good. Last weekend my buddy used my ar-15 with this load and took a large doe at 200 yards and it almost passed all the way through her. she died in less that 15 steps. Good luck with your load work.

got tired of the wind so i loaded up one round with winchester brass, 25.5 grains of reloder 15 with a remington bench rest primer and the hornady 68 grain bthp for a quick one-shot chrony. 2994 fps 10 feet from the barrel. now i just need to wind to die down for some grouping. load was a little compressed but not nearly as bad as the varget.

I am just starting to work up a load with this bullet with varget and getting super accuracy. I have got a couple 1 hole groups at 25.3 and 25.5 and the rest sub 5/8". I am .005 off the lands in a Tikka Super Varmint 24" barrel, sorry no crono readings yet. For me, this bullet groups better than the 69 sierra matchking. I will have to admit that i have never shot a fine crosshair before and at 24X it is like cheating!:)

A group of members at range shoot the 223 Longrange to 1000y and using 69gr bullets and up to the 90gr VLD bergers.
we have all found the ball powders do not work they work great with 53gr match bullets but not the heavy bullets
Best velocity's
RL 15, VT 540 & 550 all Lapua brass benchrest primers and CCI magnum primers.
Varget gets very good accuracy but a little less speed.
Note most guns are custom barreled Hart's Krieger & True Flyte, 1/7 twist 28" barrels, the Savages with 1/7 26" shoot very well also
All guns will group 5 shots under 1" best being 80gr Bergers VLD at .520 at 300y and second is Hart with 80gr sierra's .600"
manitou

Last edited:
haven't got anything to group very well so i went back to my ultramax .223 52 match hollowpoints and they sucked to. only thing that has changed since then is the threaded barrel with a custom muzzle brake with compensator holes. taking it back to the gunsmith to check the crown and throat. the 68 brhp was going to be my coyote load but several people have raised some objections with its terminal performance due to lack of expansion. i've shot the hornady 52 bthp on coyotes and they work great. i'm just looking for some better bullet performance than the relatively low BC's on the light varmint bullets. i could try bergers 62 and 64 grain varmint bullets or sierra's 65 grain spitzer boat tail. anyone familiar with the 68 grain performance on coyotes? how about the sierra 65 sbt? i see both ultramax and black hills makes to ammo with the 68 bthp. i shoot the bergers in my .260 and have worked with walt berger on those so i don't doubt the effectivity of the bergers. fur prices have generally sucked and i shoot coyotes year round so keeping the pelts isn't a huge priority for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.