68 grain 30cal Wildcat

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
I was just wondering if anyone had tried Richard's 68 grain 30 cal varmint bullet. I bought some from him just play around with in my 300 RUM but have no idea where to start. What powder and how much?

Richard suggested quickload but I don't have it and am not going to pay what they are asking as this is likely the only time I will need it. Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
B.J.

Bill I would start with at least 100g 7828 and go up from there.'m thinking about trying some of them but don't know if my 10" twist will stabilize them? Let me know how they do in your rig??

I talked to Richard and he said they shot well out of a 1/10" twist. I'm going to have to get the chrono out this w/end and try some different loads with them. I hope I have enough left to shoot some prairie dogs once I find a load.

Bill,
Middle of last year when I was playing with some tungsten sabots, I got some data from eabco for full velocity loads with 55gr bullets, and the 6 grain sabot. 61gr is fairly close, at least it will put you in the ballpark. You might see if they have data for 300RUM. last I checked biggest they had was weatherby, but that was 9mos ago...
http://www.eabco.com/reload02.html
Ive got a reduced recoil load I can share for 65gr, but im assuming you are after full power stuff.

OH, almost forgot, I think that JRP bullets have a bullet thats very close to this weight (70gr?? I know they go as low as a 55gr 308) It's been a while so the contact # I have may not work. 518-282-0084 I dunno if they might have data... worth a shot.
Make some really neat light for caliber bullets with shape and length of conventional weight bullets.
best of luck!

with that light of a bullet, you will be better off with a faster powder--maybe even down to varget, but no slower than 4530

wont stabilize in a 1:10tw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif it would stabilize in a 18twist! probably 20tw!

im guesing they will just POP in a 10 twist at max velocity.

sounds like a waste of case capacity to me, the 30BR would probably get 3500fps with this bullet!

JB

B.J.,

I have been doing some testing of the 68s from Wildcat. I will relate what little I know at the time and the direction I may go with them.

I have been testing them in my 300wm, and a full case of 4350 gets me to 3950 fps. This may seem fine, but this is through a 30" barrel. Looking down the barrel after a shot, you can find some remnants of burned powder. There is enough pressure to seal the neck, but there is no sign of pressure on the primer. My opinion is 4350 is still too slow for these bullets, IF you are looking for top speed. I don't know what kind of velocity you are looking for, or if it even matters. You mentioned you wanted to shoot pds with them. A mild load would permit you to see everything in the scope.... and I think the accuracy would be more than acceptable.

My next powder choice would be H380, and then 4064. That is if I pursue this any further. I can relate to your problem of not having enough bullets left after you develop a load. I think I am going to the 130s for my 300wm anyhow. I just got the 68s to play with. Would you be interested in the bullets I have left. They are yours for the cost of shipping. I am away from my loading bench, but think I may have 50 or so left. Let me know.

Jim

[ QUOTE ]
B.J.,

I have been doing some testing of the 68s from Wildcat. I will relate what little I know at the time and the direction I may go with them.

I have been testing them in my 300wm, and a full case of 4350 gets me to 3950 fps. This may seem fine, but this is through a 30" barrel. Looking down the barrel after a shot, you can find some remnants of burned powder. There is enough pressure to seal the neck, but there is no sign of pressure on the primer. My opinion is 4350 is still too slow for these bullets, IF you are looking for top speed. I don't know what kind of velocity you are looking for, or if it even matters. You mentioned you wanted to shoot pds with them. A mild load would permit you to see everything in the scope.... and I think the accuracy would be more than acceptable.

My next powder choice would be H380, and then 4064. That is if I pursue this any further. I can relate to your problem of not having enough bullets left after you develop a load. I think I am going to the 130s for my 300wm anyhow. I just got the 68s to play with. Would you be interested in the bullets I have left. They are yours for the cost of shipping. I am away from my loading bench, but think I may have 50 or so left. Let me know.

Jim

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess my varget suggestion is sounding better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

JB,
[ QUOTE ]
I guess my varget suggestion is sounding better

[/ QUOTE ]

Ultimately, this experiment would end up with Blue Dot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Bailey,

e-mail sent.

Jim

I just have to know what a 68gr 30 caliber bullet looks like? and what is it made from? any measurements or pics sure would be cool?

I spoke with Richard today and he said the 68 grain .30 cal bullets are just over .900 inch long and they have enough bearing surface to align themselves correctly in the bore (unlike the often claimed problem with noslers 55 gr .243 ballistic tips.) He also let me in on a little secret about how they are internally configured. Suffice it to say the lead is loaded forward to decrease weight and and aid stability. They also have a front area cavity to aid in their expansion. He said that they have been pushed at over 4000 fps without coming apart (unlike the speer TNT design).

I have tried these in my 300 RUM. I used Fed Large Rifle Mag MATCH primers, with a charge of 95.0 grains of H-4831sc. A 5 shot group of about 1/2" to 3/4". Not too bad. I could not get these bullets to shoot past 100 yards, might need to change powders, or slow them down. Also, I hit a few gophers at about 100 yards with these and that load. E-X-P-L-O-S-I-V-E!!!!! Did a better job then my .220 Swift!

Thanks for the info. That gives me a good place to start. I'll post my results and hopefully later, some pics of the carnage.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.