Hornady 285 Grain BTHP Pet Loads

99 grs. of Retumbo works well in an IMPROVED 338 Lapua. If you want to load a regular Lapua, I would start several 6 or 7 grains less and look for pressure signs.

Hey there,
94.1 gr retumbo in a Lapua case with cici magnum primers
2822 fps

Believe the oal put me off the lands about 20 thousandths

I just started messing with them a bit and they seemed to be giving good potential out to 1000yrds

Orch

Did you see any pressure signs at 94.1? I think i will start with 93.5 grains of retumbo at .020 off the lands with Lapua brass, federal 215 primers in a savage 110 fcp. Orch is this a custom rifle you are shooting them in? I would like to try to shoot a prairie dog this year at 1000 yards.

Savage 110ba....

No pressure signs at 94.1 .... In my gun.... You know the drill, start low and work up....

Good luck!
gun)

Orch

I loaded 5 rounds at 90 grains and worked up in .5 grain increments until i got to 92.5 and went out to the range and the first shot with 90 grains bolt lift was heavy and there was an ejector mark.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

First off I owe you a huge apology! i just happened to be going through my reloading notes and I guess my dislexia got the best of me when i first shared my load data for the 285gr hornady's....

my load is 91.4grs NOT 94.1

sorry sorry sorry...

i'm glad you started low and worked up and found out you were getting pressure signs at 90 and quit there

wow thats a sobering reminder for me always to start low and work up.... especially when you could be getting the recommendations from an idiot like me :rolleyes: ....

anyways again sorry about that...
if you are cursing me with each rap of the kinetic bullet puller as you disassemble the remaining rounds i certainly won't blame you!

orch

It gives me something to do that is related to shooting so, no, not mad. :D Some people on here with their 110 BA and retumbo with 300 grain bullets they didnt see pressure at 92 grains but they found accuracy. So i figured that 94 would make sense with a 285 grain booolit. Again dont feel bad at all.

I am going to load 3 at 87, 3 at 87.5, 3 at 88, and 3 at 88.5, And see what i get.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.