6.8 Western or 300WSM

Probably need to share more on requirements and expectations to get better feedback. What do you hope to hunt with it? What ranges do you want to cover?Do you handload? How much do you expect to shoot? Is it part of a bigger arsenal? Are you planning to build a rifle or buy factory? Is recoil a concern? Target weight of rifle? Muzzle break?

Some thoughts without this info…
- if your going to stick to the lower 48 both will cover typical game. If you figure on Africa I might lean towards 300
-if recoil and noise are a concern go 6.8
- If you're worried about whether ammo will be available in 15-20 years you're not shooting enough… when you burn the barrel out you can rebarrel it to whatever short mag is popular at that time
- we won't know whether 6.8W will be popular until shortages are over… manufacturers aren't making anything new while they can't cover current demand for established cartridges
- I know the writers are excited about the 6.8… and I believe it'll gain greater traction once manufacturers start to get ahead of the horders… only thing that might prevent that is a well timed 270 PRC intro… my guess is Hornady's next intro will be the 280/7mm PRC though
- while 300WSM can be expected to be the last WSM standing it's not clear that you can expect the variety of factory offers to do anything but decline.
- if you handload then it's irrelevant… buy enough brass to last as long as the barrel and you're covered.

Good luck

I have both and love them both, could not give either of them up. I shoot long range 600 to 1200 yards. The 6.8 Western is made for this type of shooting where the 300 win mag is more cumbersome. It shoots those distances but not with the same ease as the 6.8 Western. I hunted with both this past fall. I used 175 gr Sierra bullets in both for hunting. I reload so use many types of bullets for target shooting. Either way is a good choice. Suggest buying both.😀
More cumbersome? How so?

As eluded to there are considerations other than all important ballistics and ammo/component available. The newer cartridges exhibit little case taper. This can be an issue under less than idea conditions. Make fun of the older rounds if you must, but feeding, clambering, extraction and ejection are enhanced significantly by some taper. In high temp areas, Africa or Arizona, wet climates like coastal Alaska or again Africa or a dirty chamber combined with a straight case body can spell trouble. I'd suggest an examination of the "entire cartridge." Food for thought.

Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
Well I will throw in my two cents.Id go with the 6.5 PRC. IF you need a 30 caliber I'd go with 300 PRC.
I shoot both.If you reload the components are easier to find.And Hornady pushes them hard enough to easily find ammo.
The 6.8 Western is a good round but may not stick around long.Goid Luck in your choice.
I use to shoot a 7mm Rem. Mag most of my adult life.I still hunt with it because I love my old Winchester 70 and my new Browning White Gold Medallion 7mm Rem Mag.If it wasn't such a beautiful rifle I'd put a heavy barrel on it for a lo g range gun.But it would be almost a crime to do it.lol

Last edited:
Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
I'm from Williamsburg county. Nice to see another Lowcountry member on board. A lot has to do with the distance you're hunting and if you plan on hunting in other parts of the country. I've been shooting the 7 mag for decades and it works fine out to 1100 yds on deer. I had no problems with it in Africa on plains game animals either.

Probably need to share more on requirements and expectations to get better feedback. What do you hope to hunt with it? What ranges do you want to cover?Do you handload? How much do you expect to shoot? Is it part of a bigger arsenal? Are you planning to build a rifle or buy factory? Is recoil a concern? Target weight of rifle? Muzzle break?

Some thoughts without this info…
- if your going to stick to the lower 48 both will cover typical game. If you figure on Africa I might lean towards 300
-if recoil and noise are a concern go 6.8
- If you're worried about whether ammo will be available in 15-20 years you're not shooting enough… when you burn the barrel out you can rebarrel it to whatever short mag is popular at that time
- we won't know whether 6.8W will be popular until shortages are over… manufacturers aren't making anything new while they can't cover current demand for established cartridges
- I know the writers are excited about the 6.8… and I believe it'll gain greater traction once manufacturers start to get ahead of the horders… only thing that might prevent that is a well timed 270 PRC intro… my guess is Hornady's next intro will be the 280/7mm PRC though
- while 300WSM can be expected to be the last WSM standing it's not clear that you can expect the variety of factory offers to do anything but decline.
- if you handload then it's irrelevant… buy enough brass to last as long as the barrel and you're covered.

Good luck
Deer, hogs, bear... 0-800, I may start handloading again, I shoot once or twice a week, I'm leaning on a build now, recoil is not an issue, 7-8 lbs, muzzle break yes. I am thinking 270WSM with a 1:8 twist if I build.

The new exotic cartridges give marginal gains over the old classics at higher component costs and limited availability, IMHO.
What higher component costs? The price of bullets, powder and usually even brass doesn't vary much from cartridge in the same family. Most small and medium cases brass will be at a given price, The belted Magums in another, and the very large cartridges like the Rum and .416 etc will be in yet another price range.

As much a fan as I am of the belted magnums, especially the 7RM, 300wm, and 7mm STW I recognize that the day of the belted mag and cases based off of the venerable 06 are on their way out.

Don't believe 6.8 Western will get wide support from the industry. It's a great cartridge but to get the most from it loading your own is necessary IMO.
And finding reasonably priced brass for it in the foreseeable future is certainly not guaranteed. If it doesn't grab a healthy share of the market in the next year or so proprietary brass is all that's going to be available.

Love the 6.8 Western. Everything I shoot is under an inch , factory 165-175 and loaded 145 eldx and 175 game changer. 1/2 Moa with reloads.

While the wsm has been around a while it pails in comparison to the popularity of the 300 win mag. The 6.8 western will handle effectively 165 to 175 gr bullets with its faster twist rate and even heavier bullets then that are available form smaller bullet producers. In reality the 300 wsm and 6.8 wéstern are near ballistic equals to the point that no critter woukd know the difference. The 300 win or a host of other cartridges trumps both of these cartridges and especially in the case of the 300 win you can't beat it for ammo availability, long range energy and availability of ammo when compared to the other two calibers you mentioned. The 300 PRC would also be an excellent choice to handle even heavier bullets although the sun msg dies very well with bullets up to 210 gr which meets North American hunting needs. Good luck.

Last edited:
Deer, hogs, bear... 0-800, I may start handloading again, I shoot once or twice a week, I'm leaning on a build now, recoil is not an issue, 7-8 lbs, muzzle break yes. I am thinking 270WSM with a 1:8 twist if I build.
Good for you… building is much more fun… and if your shooting on your own range a couple time/wk you probably should pick up handloading again… I've always liked the 270wsm if you're building with a faster twist barrel… I think you'll be pleased… recommend a medium length or CRF action. 7-8# with a break won't recoil much at all anyway. Good luck