6.8 Western or 300WSM

300wsm is awesome, 130gr TTSX @3100 for normal WT deer that is a pussycat to shoot. Or same bullet @ 3500 for Western shooting very flat shooting. Then 200gr for anything bear or buffalo related. It has such a wide array of bullets and is so versatile. 6.8 western just isn't there and I honestly don't think it will last. Its ballistics just are smashed between so many other great rounds. Why have it? I would much rather have the 270 WSM with a custom barrel with higher twist. But then again the 300 WSM can do everything it could do better also.

Tried short fat cartridges. Never liked how they feed in real life hunting situations.
where is your sporting clays course?
JD from SC

Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
The 300WSM is a great cartridge. Don't get a Browning. Their magazine box is very short. Love mine.
300 wsm 165 Barnes ttsx ca traverse. Sexy

The 27 Cal will handle any North American game but you don't reload and ammo is hard enough to get as is, so what your supply line ? for that round ! I only have one 270 Win gun and it sits in the vault because I wanted a 270 so I have one now ! Was loading Nosler 130 gr, partitions & silvertips back then. What is your game- dream. What animals you thinking of hunting ? A 6.5 x 300 WBY , 30-378 Wby , 300 Wby or a 7 MM just another answer or suggestion !! its easy spending others dollars . I do see that the westerner is in a Magnum class cartridge . but only have 2 suppliers for ammo Win & Browning ( which Win loads for ) so its only Winchester just about the same as there 264 Win Mag back then.

Last edited:
PS 300WM loaded with 150 grain bonded core bullet at mild velocity will knock our little deer DRT and be ready to up load for trip out west.
jD in SC

Stay on task fellas. He's not a handloader. Components don't matter. Brass doesn't matter. Bullets don't matter. The guy wants to walk in a store buy a few boxes of ammunition and go shoot. He isn't shooting 215 Bergers or Lapua brass. Factory ammunition for 300 wsm means 150, 165-168, 178, and 180's. That's 98% of the ammo. If he special orders I'm sure he could find a 200 eld-x or 210 Berger at $65 to $100. The 6.8 Western is geared towards this kind of shooter. 162, 165, 170, 175 grains bullets available. 2900 to 3000 fps is stellar performance. $50-$60 box and I saw stacks of it at my local Sportsmens Warehouse. In the Browning rifle or Winchester it doesn't matter what animals he's hunting it's a coin toss. I have a 300 wsm and like it. I also have a 270 wsm with an 8 twist (basically a 6.8 Western) and I adore it. Accuracy I lean 300 but for pleasant shooting I go 6.8. I see your dilemma here. Years ago I bought a 308 Marlin Express. Super charged 30-30. It didn't have a big following and only Hornady produces one Leverevolution 160 grain type of ammo. It died out. This was in 2008 I believe. If you go look in my truck right now guess what rifle is riding shotgun to go out to the ranch every day?. The Marlin Express. I'd buy the 6.8 Western and let'er rip!!

Tried short fat cartridges. Never liked how they feed in real life hunting situations.
where is your sporting clays course?
JD from SC
I too have had issues with the short fat cartridges 300 WSM, 284 win. Both have taken a lot of game for me, but I recently switched to a 280 AI in the Browning X Bolt. Clip is long enough to allow extended bullet seating length. It performed so well on elk this year, I bought two more X-bolts in the same caliber.

I have both and love them both, could not give either of them up. I shoot long range 600 to 1200 yards. The 6.8 Western is made for this type of shooting where the 300 win mag is more cumbersome. It shoots those distances but not with the same ease as the 6.8 Western. I hunted with both this past fall. I used 175 gr Sierra bullets in both for hunting. I reload so use many types of bullets for target shooting. Either way is a good choice. Suggest buying both.😀

Hey Fellas I am new to the site and I am looking for some suggestions. I am 52 years old and have been hunting and shooting all of my life. I live in the Lowcountry of South Carolina and I own and operate a sporting clay range and I have a private rifle range also.
I am thinking about buying a new rifle and I really like the way the 6.8 western looks on paper but not really sure its going to be around long enough to prove itself unless some other companies start making ammo for it (I'm not a reloader). So my other thought was 300WSM. I know one is a 30Cal and the other is a .270 so there is that. I don't want a 270WSM because I can't go past 150gr. Thoughts?
300 given the 2 choices!