6.8 western be 6.5prc

The 6.5 Creedmoor is what the 30-30 was 100yrs ago and more animals will be killed with it than the 30-30 in the not to distant future I would expect.

I don't think that will happen because it really needs a long action to be all it can be and the 6.5 Creedmoor is the best designed round for pure short actions that has hit the market so far.
If the 6.5/284 which is identical couldn't dominate the market Then even with Hornady's great marketing it will never catch the Creedmoor but I could be wrong.:)
When you really start to analyze it's its just about the perfect "allarounder" for kids /women/men hunting /target/long range/ it does it all and now all guns are made in it dropping cartridges like 243 etc so I think it's the new king for now.

Last edited:
I don't think that will happen because it really needs a long action to be all it can be and the 6.5 Creedmoor is the best designed round for pure short actions that has hit the market so far.
If the 6.5/284 which is identical couldn't dominate the market Then even with Hornady's great marketing it will never catch the Creedmoor but I could be wrong.:)
When you really start to analyze it's its just about the perfect "allarounder" for kids /women/men hunting /target/long range/ it does it all and now all guns are made in it dropping cartridges like 243 etc so I think it's the new king for now.
Huh?

The CM and .260 are virtually identical and the 6.5PRC was specifically designed to run in short actions.

Well there seems to be a lot of controversy about the 6.8 Western as compared to most of your favorites. I think that one of the issues that you are looking at is that while it is called a 6.8 it actually shoots .277 caliber bullets which a lot of you seem to dislike for one reason or another. Rifles are made for the 6.8 by Browning in the popular X bolt and by Winchester in the XPR. Ammo is made by both manufacturers but as some decry is not available, or others claim is sitting on the shelf simply because rifles are not available. I did a little shopping around and both the Browing X bolt and Winchester XPR are readily available, especially at the larger retail stores. If you want the real skinny on the 6.8 Western take a look at this You Tube video of Ron Spomer Outdoors. It might open your eyes.

Well there seems to be a lot of controversy about the 6.8 Western as compared to most of your favorites. I think that one of the issues that you are looking at is that while it is called a 6.8 it actually shoots .277 caliber bullets which a lot of you seem to dislike for one reason or another. Rifles are made for the 6.8 by Browning in the popular X bolt and by Winchester in the XPR. Ammo is made by both manufacturers but as some decry is not available, or others claim is sitting on the shelf simply because rifles are not available. I did a little shopping around and both the Browing X bolt and Winchester XPR are readily available, especially at the larger retail stores. If you want the real skinny on the 6.8 Western take a look at this You Tube video of Ron Spomer Outdoors. It might open your eyes.

We all know it shoots a 6.8/.277 cal bullet. It doesn't shoot a .284/7mm bullet and the two are not interchangeable.

What exactly does the 6.8 Western do that isn't already being done by the 6.5's, 7mm's, .270 win or 270wsm?

What demand is there for it?

Last edited:
We all know it shoots a 6.8/.277 cal bullet. It doesn't shoot a .284/7mm bullet and the two are not interchangeable.

What exactly does the 6.8 Western do that isn't already being done by the 6.5's, 7mm's, .270 win or 270wsm?

Wild Rose,. Since it seems that you like to argue with me, here is yet another video about the 6.8 Western.

I do understand that some men don't like listening to what a woman has to say, even though she might have more years experience shooting as well as an instructor than most of you here have been alive. So be it.
I take whatever you have to say with a grain of salt. I imagine others do too.
This is a free forum so we all are able to express our opinions and experiences.
Most people will read, examine and make their own assumption about a comment without being so negative.

In answer to your question. View the videos here, with discussion by what I would consider experts and if you don't, so be it. They have more intelligent things to say both pro and con about anything either of us can say.

To me it's obvious all that you are doing is trying to argue. As I said watch these videos and comparisons and they will answer your questions above.

If you continue to argue for no apparent reason then I will block you from further discussions with me. Do whatever you may. I spent 30 years in the Army so men do not intimidate me the slightest little bit. Pick on someone your own size and with less experience than you. You might be able to intimidate them.

Have a good night.

What exactly does the 6.8 Western do that isn't already being done by the 6.5's, 7mm's, .270 win or 7mmSaum?

Wild Rose,. Since it seems that you like to argue with me, here is yet another video about the 6.8 Western.

I do understand that some men don't like listening to what a woman has to say, even though she might have more years experience shooting as well as an instructor than most of you here have been alive. So be it.
I take whatever you have to say with a grain of salt. I imagine others do too.
This is a free forum so we all are able to express our opinions and experiences.
Most people will read, examine and make their own assumption about a comment without being so negative.

In answer to your question. View the videos here, with discussion by what I would consider experts and if you don't, so be it. They have more intelligent things to say both pro and con about anything either of us can say.

To me it's obvious all that you are doing is trying to argue. As I said watch these videos and comparisons and they will answer your questions above.

If you continue to argue for no apparent reason then I will block you from further discussions with me. Do whatever you may. I spent 30 years in the Army so men do not intimidate me the slightest little bit. Pick on someone your own size and with less experience than you. You might be able to intimidate them.

Have a good night.

Oh get off of it, nobody cares that you're a woman. What matters is when you made ignorant and dangerous assertions. When you do, you're going to get called out for them no matter who you are or whether you're waring pants, a skirt or a diaper on your head.

You're the one that seems insistent on pushing this new round but for some reason you can't seem to tell us why it's needed or what role it's filling that wasn't already being filled.

Saying it's probably not going to make it commercially isn't expressing prejudice, it's simply stating a fact. Most new offerings will last a decade or less before fading into obsolescence and try as they might nobody seems to succeed pushing a new .277 except to a very small niche following.

😆 This post cracks me up. Like you can predict the future in times like these. this is a popularity contest.

The OP was gone a long time ago.

People need to quit drowning new options that come forth, just because there not the cool kid, and start promoting them, Or some day, like everything else, Hornady will own (buy out) everybody.
Just Imagine a country with only cartridges. 6.5 CM, 6.5 prc, 300 prc. :D

😆 This post cracks me up. Like you can predict the future in times like these. this is a popularity contest.

The OP was gone a long time ago.

People need to quit drowning new options that come forth, just because there not the cool kid, and start promoting them, Or some day, like everything else, Hornady will own (buy out) everybody.
Just Imagine a country with only cartridges. 6.5 CM, 6.5 prc, 300 prc. :D
Well yes, that's what companies do every day, it's how they plan for the future.

I've been in and around the firearms industry my entire life, we sold them in the family store and I've hunted all over the US and a fair part of Southern Africa not to mention 25 years as an outfitter myself.

I've seen every "hot new round" that's hit the market since the mid sixties most of which quickly fade into obscurity.

I've seen every "hot new round" that's hit the market since the mid sixties most of which quickly fade into obscurity.
But the PRC can't? (fade away), when there's a like cartridge that shoots a 160 to 175 the same speeds with a lot more energy?
Nope it's too cool.

All the 6.8 needs is educated salesman.

But the PRC can't? (fade away), when there's a like cartridge that shoots a 160 to 175 the same speeds with a lot more energy?
Nope it's too cool.

All the 6.8 needs is educated salesman.
What it needs is a demand that just doesn't exist.

For a factory round to succeed tens of thousands of rifles need to be sold in that caliber and millions of rounds of ammo bought annually in the first ten years.

There just isn't any great demand for a new .277.

If they could have put rifles and ammo in the hands of the top shooters in LR competition to shoot and win with and done a huge rollout campaign as was done for the Needmore it might have had a chance of really gaining some traction.

That's what's driving the market these days and has for more than a decade.

It's not even a substantial improvement over the 7mm wsm and Winchester wasn't bright enough to roll out a new cool Model 70 chambered in it.

Browning doesn't sell enough rifles to have any significant impact on the market and the Winchester Offerings aren't lighting the world on fire either.

It'll gain a dedicated but small following and that's about it.

What it needs is a demand that just doesn't exist.

For a factory round to succeed tens of thousands of rifles need to be sold in that caliber and millions of rounds of ammo bought annually in the first ten years.

There just isn't any great demand for a new .277.

If they could have put rifles and ammo in the hands of the top shooters in LR competition to shoot and win with and done a huge rollout campaign as was done for the Needmore it might have had a chance of really gaining some traction.

That's what's driving the market these days and has for more than a decade.

It's not even a substantial improvement over the 7mm wsm and Winchester wasn't bright enough to roll out a new cool Model 70 chambered in it.

Browning doesn't sell enough rifles to have any significant impact on the market and the Winchester Offerings aren't lighting the world on fire either.

It'll gain a dedicated but small following and that's about it.
So this your prediction ? Thank You🙏
I've finally found someone in my 60 yrs that knows absolutely everything gun related !!!!!! I can go to any post on this site and find your absolute 100% correct answer to everything. Thank you so much again