6.8 western be 6.5prc

I agree the old 270 W is losing ground but it is still very popular and will be for long time. Those other rounds need all those different bullets to do what it does with a 130 just fine;) By the way old 30/30 beats the 7rm and 300 win in sales too. Any case the new battle rifle will be a 270/6.8. They looked at 6.5 and others and chose 6.8 on whatever their criteria is. I have seen lot of people think it was bad choice but it is only caliber in the running so will be a 6.8. Once that gets rolling doubt it will change anytime soon. Probably generate some new target offerings in the caliber

Lou

I agree the old 270 W is losing ground but it is still very popular and will be for long time. Those other rounds need all those different bullets to do what it does with a 130 just fine;) By the way old 30/30 beats the 7rm and 300 win in sales too. Any case the new battle rifle will be a 270/6.8. They looked at 6.5 and others and chose 6.8 on whatever their criteria is. I have seen lot of people think it was bad choice but it is only caliber in the running so will be a 6.8. Once that gets rolling doubt it will change anytime soon. Probably generate some new target offerings in the caliber

Lou
I knew they were looking at different 6.8's for a medium machine gun but hadn't heard a thing about a new battle rifle in 6.8 till I saw this.

As resistant to change as they have been for decades now in spite of the limitations of the 5.56 I'll be surprised if they actually follow through but if they do, it's going to breathe some life back into the .277/6.8 market but that's probably going to be a decade or more in the future.

Right now it appears to be down to a battle between Sig and GD which gives me hope the next generation of troops is going to start out with a far superior weapons system than my generation did.

The industry used all its pickup lies and false promises to finally get a fresh shot of leg from the closing time whale. Bam it worked. Only problem was they were too drunk to realize it was the prom queen on her bachelorette party. When it sobered up and realized what it picked up it spilled its nuts on the way to the room. Everyone saw it happen and it can't get a napkin.

I have to agree about the 7MM and have a few comments about, UGH!!!! the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have no idea why it was so hyped by the gun writers. but then again gun writers are being paid to write and who pays them, of course the gun/ammo manufacturers who are looking to sell a zillion new guns and millions, perhaps billions of rounds of a new caliber ammunition. I watched as the glowing reports from the gun writing industry lauded the 6.5 Creedmoor causing an instantaneous demand for this new, "Miracle Cartridge." Rifles were sold, ammo was sold and over the ensuing few years a lot of rifles chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor are finding their way onto the used/auction market. Why? Simply because the hordes of hunters who were duped into purchasing these new rifles in thin miracle cartridge found out the truth. It wasn't what was promised. Are these rifles still available? Certainly, and they most likely will be for awhile as the manufactured love affair with the 6.5 Creedmoor winds down as just another shot in the dark as a hunting cartridge that is excellent at punching holes in paper failed as a long-range hunting cartridge.
How well regarded is the 6.5 Creedmoor these days? Look on the shelve of your local gun store? Do you find any 6.5 Creed ammo there? Probably not since the ammo manufacturers are producing their bread and butter rounds, which you are seeing on the shelves these days.
On a lighter note, you can order ammo direct from the manufacturer from both Federal and Sig Sauer for a couple of sourcee, all sold at current MSRP and mostly shipped free of charge. My suggestion is to quit whining and look at all the available avenues for ammo and components. Don't sit back in your chair at your computer and whine when time would be better spent searching for available outlets.
First off who is whining about what? Ammo? I make my own thanks for ur shopping tips. You quoted me on a different thread and left me confused what the intent of your post exactly was. My point about 6.8western ammo on shelves is simple, there's not enough guns sold to demand it.

this is what id do if you reload..
short action 6.5saum or 6.5ss then down the road 7saum, 7ss or 300wsm
all these cartridges will work wonders with 20" tubes and its easier to find brass than 6.5prc short stubby cartridges are the way lol

First off who is whining about what? Ammo? I make my own thanks for ur shopping tips. You quoted me on a different thread and left me confused what the intent of your post exactly was. My point about 6.8western ammo on shelves is simple, there's not enough guns sold to demand it.
Well I am sorry if you take offense to trying to help others out. If the 6.8 Western got the publicity and Love from the Gun Writers lauding it like they did the 6.5 Creedmoor there would be lines, like there were for the Creedmoor at the gun counters everywhere. I guess that Federal and Browning probably don't pay enough or refuse to pay for good write ups in all the hunting magazines. A year after the first rush firearms in 6.5 Creedmoor started showing up on used gun shelves in droves as hunters found out that they were not as good as the hype. You also find gun writers are now somewhat ambivalent about the chambering especially when comparing it to loads like the 270 and 30-06 out to reasonable hunting distances of 500 yards. (Yes I know that many of you don't consider this long range) We all have our likes and dislikes as well as preferences. So be it. That is what makes discussions like this interesting as well as educational.

Well I am sorry if you take offense to trying to help others out. If the 6.8 Western got the publicity and Love from the Gun Writers lauding it like they did the 6.5 Creedmoor there would be lines, like there were for the Creedmoor at the gun counters everywhere. I guess that Federal and Browning probably don't pay enough or refuse to pay for good write ups in all the hunting magazines. A year after the first rush firearms in 6.5 Creedmoor started showing up on used gun shelves in droves as hunters found out that they were not as good as the hype. You also find gun writers are now somewhat ambivalent about the chambering especially when comparing it to loads like the 270 and 30-06 out to reasonable hunting distances of 500 yards. (Yes I know that many of you don't consider this long range) We all have our likes and dislikes as well as preferences. So be it. That is what makes discussions like this interesting as well as educational.
Another reason to go with the 6.5prc I guess, since federal or browning won't spend enough to promote their cartridge as Hornady will?

I've never seen any evidence of this, can you cite a source?
I appears that you are big on source. When I worked at Cabelas I saw first hand the results. The only way one can prove this is to start searching the shelves of used gun shops as well as gun auctions. Instead of tying to discredit my comments why don't you do some research to counter what I have said. Otherwise don't do negative comments unless you can back up what you say. Keep in mind that you are not talking to a timid inexperienced Blonde here. I do not intimidate easily which is what you are trying to do. Put up or shut up. :rolleyes: BTW when I left Cabelas last Fall over 30% of the rifles on the wall of the Gun Library were 6.5 Creedmoor's traded in for other caliber rifles.

I appears that you are big on source. When I worked at Cabelas I saw first hand the results. The only way one can prove this is to start searching the shelves of used gun shops as well as gun auctions. Instead of tying to discredit my comments why don't you do some research to counter what I have said. Otherwise don't do negative comments unless you can back up what you say. Keep in mind that you are not talking to a timid inexperienced Blonde here. I do not intimidate easily which is what you are trying to do. Put up or shut up. :rolleyes: BTW when I left Cabelas last Fall over 30% of the rifles on the wall of the Gun Library were 6.5 Creedmoor's traded in for other caliber rifles.
You make a whole lot of claims that don't seem to be supportable with any actual verifiable facts based solely on your own biases rather than data anyone can evaluate.

When you make claims of fact, it's up to you to be able to support them.

What you may or may not have seen working in one store certainly can't be shown to be reflective of the country as a whole.

Funny, I just started checking the inventory for Cablea's gun libraries and found only 30 used 6.5 CM's available in the entire state of Texas out of more than 30,000 firearms listed.

I'm no fan of the CM either but the facts simply don't support your claims.

Last edited:
Creedmoor was introduced by Hornady in 2007, I think it's here to stay. Someone asking for evidence isn't intimidation. 90 percent of the people on this forum aren't going to cabelas for knowledge, products or experience, that's been gone before Creedmoors hit the scene.
To the original post, I'd say 6.5 prc or fast twist 270wsm. 6.5prc has real world data, short barrel/long barrel, suppressed or not, the evidence is available. A lot of the 6.5 stuff isn't just Hornady, George Gardner knows his stuff and people listen and invest. I built a fast twist 6 Creedmoor because of all the ammo sitting, just because I could, but didn't make that decision exclusively because what was on the shelf at the time.

Creedmoor was introduced by Hornady in 2007, I think it's here to stay. Someone asking for evidence isn't intimidation. 90 percent of the people on this forum aren't going to cabelas for knowledge, products or experience, that's been gone before Creedmoors hit the scene.
To the original post, I'd say 6.5 prc or fast twist 270wsm. 6.5prc has real world data, short barrel/long barrel, suppressed or not, the evidence is available. A lot of the 6.5 stuff isn't just Hornady, George Gardner knows his stuff and people listen and invest. I built a fast twist 6 Creedmoor because of all the ammo sitting, just because I could, but didn't make that decision exclusively because what was on the shelf at the time.
If I had a 12yo that I wanted to buy or build one gun they could shoot for a lifetime at all light and medium game In N. America and Africa it would be the 6.5PRC just because it's the wave of the future.

When they got a bit older and more tolerant of recoil I'd add probably a 30PRC to the mix to handle even the largest N. American and African plains game.

For my generation most kids started out with a 22-250 or .243 then eventually graduated up to the 7RM or 300wm and while they all performed excellently, those rounds have all seen their best days come and go.

All the evidence I can lay my hands on tells me the Needmore, 6.5PRC and 300PRC are going to dominate the market for at least the next 20-40 years and by then be so well established ammo for them will be as easy to lay your hands on as 30-30, 30-06, 22-250, and .270wm have been for the last fifty years.

Trade ins doesn't really tell much of anything unless you specifically ask them why. For example my brother traded in two .300 Win Mag hunting rifles for a 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10. Based on that info you would assume he didn't like the .300 bolt action and wanted a semi auto 6.5 but the truth was that he already purchased a different .300 that he liked the best and traded the others in on something different.

It could not even be about the cartridge, they could have simply not liked the action or the configuration and decided to trade that in on something new, who knows without asking them specifically. Or it could simply be due to the volume, a used 30-06 can be found in almost every gun shop in the country not because people are getting rid of them but simply because of the amount sold over the last 100+ years.

I can't speak for buying trends as a whole but I do know that the majority of the people that I hunt with own at least one 6.5 Creedmoor.

I think I will build it off a long action,for the reason when he shoots out the barrel I will make it a 300 prc when he is older
Just make sure to discuss this with your gunsmith so you ensure there is an understanding about getting the short fat cases to feed properly. There can be issues with them coming out of the magazine to fast causing them to miss-feed, but with the with proper prep these issues can be eliminated. I think either of the cartridge's you first proposed will be great for your purposes. The short fat cartridge's give very good performance for powder used in the shorter barrels. I love my 6.5 PRC and its been super accurate and used on many hunts in the last 3.5 years but I would try a 6.8 to try it.