6.8 western be 6.5prc

westcoasthunter

So I'm looking to build my son a custom rifle for his 13th bday. I was thinking about doing a 20-22" carbon barrel to keep it short . But I'm torn between then 6.5 prc and 6.8 western trying to pick something with factory ammo also this rifle will have a brake on it. It will be a hunting rifle from yotes , on up but mostly deer elk and black bear. What do you guys recommend?

Look at the bullet selection for 270 caliber vs 6.5 caliber. 6.5 PRC has far more support. If 6.8 western was as good as they say it is, that ammo would not be on the shelves. If you want to shoot sub 500 yds then it doesnt matter.. shoot a 22lr lol.

I'm not having to hard a time with components other than powder. Seems there's quite a few smaller operations selling high quality stuff if you are willing to pay $75-$150 a box for PRC. I havnt seen much hornady stuff. You are right with the 6.8, I see empty shelves minus 6.8 haha but that might not be the case in a year or two.

I'd go 6.5 PRC because out of those two. The PRC will live on, not sure about the 6.8. The 6.8 will let you shoot little heavier projectiles. Probably slightly better for elk, but both will get the job done within their limitations. My 2 cents.
This.

I definitely would not count on the the 6.8 Western to be around a decade from now as anything but a niche/boutique round.

For medium game the 6.5's and .30's will own the market in this century.

I like the 6.5 prc also. Just sucks you can find ammo .. the only plus I see really for the 6.8 is I see the ammo everywhere .
You know
I'm going to be a decenter here and say the 6.8 western will be a huge success.
I really hate to say that cuz it is so redundant with the wsm and saum, personally I think the 270 wsm is a way better cartridge for handloaders and I wish they'd just start offering 8 twist barrels with the same heavy factory ammo.
Leave it to the industry to pump up marketing instead of increasing/improving existing options

So I'm looking to build my son a custom rifle for his 13th bday. I was thinking about doing a 20-22" carbon barrel to keep it short . But I'm torn between then 6.5 prc and 6.8 western trying to pick something with factory ammo also this rifle will have a brake on it. It will be a hunting rifle from yotes , on up but mostly deer elk and black bear. What do you guys recommend?
If I was to choose from the two calibers above it would have to be the 6.8 Western. I have seen 6.8 ammo on the shelves around here but haven't seen any of the PRC's of any caliber for more than a couple of years. You can't hardly go wrong with Federal ammo either. One other thing to consider if putting a brake on it is a 300 Win Mag. Ammo is pretty much available everywhere and when I put a brake on my 300 mag it dropped the recoil down to that of a heavy loaded .243. It's actually a pleasure to shoot. My girlfriend is 5'4" and weighs 130, she prefers the 300 to either the .270 or 30-06.

If I were in your shoes I would consider an AR in 7.62 x 39. Minimal weight plentiful ammo
All kinds of butt stock configurations.
Just a suggestion….

This.

I definitely would not count on the the 6.8 Western to be around a decade from now as anything but a niche/boutique round.

For medium game the 6.5's and .30's will own the market in this century.
I agree. The 6.8western ammo is around because they haven't sold enough guns. That's the single biggest stepping stone to gettting a new cartridge mainstream, have available ammo and budget friendly to exotic firearms chambered in it so people try it out. Everybody says Hornady marketing made the 6.5creed, yes and no, they also designed a cartridge/reamer and provided ammo that was accurate in an age of cnc machining so suddenly a budget rifle printed SubMOA groups and guys raves about it to friends. 6.5, 7mm, and 30 will dominate market, there's too many good 7mm cartridges and bullets. For the majority of North American big game hunting a 7mm is really hard to beat for performance vs recoil package