6.8 western be 6.5prc

This was an interesting thread. It got off the rails a bit, but interesting none the less. I believe there are a great number of people on this forum that like to be different than the masses. Whereas, I have owned many of the extremely popular rifles in 308, .284, 223, etc., I still like to be a little different every once in while. Not too different (wild cats), but less main stream than say a 6.5 Creed. If you reload, it opens up the options. You can source and buy a couple hundred pieces of quality brass, you will be set for the life of the rifle IMHO. Different strokes for different folks. Now where can I buy 200 280ai pieces of quality brass? Sorry…I couldn't help that last question jumping out there.
Graf's has some Nosler for sale…

What it needs is a demand that just doesn't exist.

For a factory round to succeed tens of thousands of rifles need to be sold in that caliber and millions of rounds of ammo bought annually in the first ten years.

There just isn't any great demand for a new .277.

If they could have put rifles and ammo in the hands of the top shooters in LR competition to shoot and win with and done a huge rollout campaign as was done for the Needmore it might have had a chance of really gaining some traction.

That's what's driving the market these days and has for more than a decade.

It's not even a substantial improvement over the 7mm wsm and Winchester wasn't bright enough to roll out a new cool Model 70 chambered in it.

Browning doesn't sell enough rifles to have any significant impact on the market and the Winchester Offerings aren't lighting the world on fire either.

It'll gain a dedicated but small following and that's about it.
WOW>>> There is surly a bunch of us that love the .270 or 6.8 cal and have for years. I also believe that the new 6.8 Western is a new shinning star that will be around for a long time. The problem with the old .270 win and the .270 WSM is they cannot shoot the heavy bullets with the higher BC's. This cartridge for now is an awesome round that will fill the bill for a lot of hunters that are looking for that one cartridge that can be used for everything from coyotes to moose. Being a fit all cartridge alone is a big selling point. I plan on having one in my arsenal here in the new future. I have always wanted a cartridge that could be a one cal do it all rifle and the 6.8 Western seems like it will fit perfect.

WOW>>> There is surly a bunch of us that love the .270 or 6.8 cal and have for years. I also believe that the new 6.8 Western is a new shinning star that will be around for a long time. The problem with the old .270 win and the .270 WSM is they cannot shoot the heavy bullets with the higher BC's. This cartridge for now is an awesome round that will fill the bill for a lot of hunters that are looking for that one cartridge that can be used for everything from coyotes to moose. Being a fit all cartridge alone is a big selling point. I plan on having one in my arsenal here in the new future. I have always wanted a cartridge that could be a one cal do it all rifle and the 6.8 Western seems like it will fit perfect.
Yet the 6.5's, 7mm's, and 30's and they keep grabbing an ever growing portion of the market share.

Arguably the most versatile cartridge ever is the .30-06 and it too is steadily losing ground to the others.

As I said, the .270 has a small niche following that shrinks year by year.

It's not about love or hate, it's just a matter of fact and the realities of economics.

It costs hundreds of thousands or more for a mass manufacturer to tool up to produce a given round and for the major rifle makers there's only so much time and so many production lines so inevitably they produce what they can sell the most of.

Whether we like it or not there's simply a much greater demand for the others and it is growing.

IMO the 300win mag is the best do it all for North America. 6.8w has a number of things going for it but I think they should have not sacrificed the case capacity for a short action. The new bullets that are coming out are long and longer. They arent going to shrink in length by any means. A simple rebarrel of a 270, upgrade to 270AI or a 270WSM with a faster twist match barrel nets better ballistics for the most part. But if it gets the shooting community more options for 270 bullets it's a win win for all.

The simple fact is that for now, as it stands, the 6.8 W has 20 grains more of long for caliber bullet, in a shorter fatter case. It has more energy upon impact with 170's at any ethical range than the PRC. I don't care if it has a niche or not, or if it will make it. But if I where shown these two side by side, there would be no question which one I would buy
I don't own a 270 (6.8) anything. But I will soon. Most likely a 270 AI, Sherman, WSM, RPM, exc, exc with a long throat and fast twist.
To the OP, don't buy into hype. like WildRose said:
I've seen every "hot new round" that's hit the market since the mid sixties most of which quickly fade into obscurity.

The simple fact is that for now, as it stands, the 6.8 W has 20 grains more of long for caliber bullet, in a shorter fatter case. It has more energy upon impact with 170's at any ethical range than the PRC. I don't care if it has a niche or not, or if it will make it. But if I where shown these two side by side, there would be no question which one I would buy
I don't own a 270 (6.8) anything. But I will soon. Most likely a 270 AI, Sherman, WSM, RPM, exc, exc with a long throat and fast twist.
It will still be relegated to a small niche market which is usually the death of any new cartridge coming onto the market.

There's nothing that can be done with it that can't be done just as well by an existing 6.5, 7mm, or 30 cal.

The 6.5's have been proven literally the world over on even the largest and most dangerous game to be more than capable, the bigger, badder, faster, more engergetic rounds are mostly there to pump up ego's and give us a bigger margin of error when we make poor shots.

Not more than a literal handful of hunters are ever going to shoot at game at ranges greater than 200 yards so all that extra energy is mostly a waste.

There are many times the number of recreational shooters as there are hunters as well and they are going to continue following the trends of the successful rounds on competition circuits.

It's about market forces, not emotions.

I've seen every "hot new round" that's hit the market since the mid sixties most of which quickly fade into obscurity.

That isn't hype, it's simply true. Only a handful of new cartridges ever stand the test of time.

It will still be relegated to a small niche market which is usually the death of any new cartridge coming onto the market.

There's nothing that can be done with it that can't be done just as well by an existing 6.5, 7mm, or 30 cal.

The 6.5's have been proven literally the world over on even the largest and most dangerous game to be more than capable, the bigger, badder, faster, more engergetic rounds are mostly there to pump up ego's and give us a bigger margin of error when we make poor shots.

Not more than a literal handful of hunters are ever going to shoot at game at ranges greater than 200 yards so all that extra energy is mostly a waste.

There are many times the number of recreational shooters as there are hunters as well and they are going to continue following the trends of the successful rounds on competition circuits.

It's about market forces, not emotions.
WHO CARES!!!!!

Actually, the market (and marketing) has changed and thousands of firearms or million of rounds sold are no longer required for a successful product. New design and manufacturing technologies have greatly reduced the minimum number of units required for a production run to be be profitable. Design and production can be tuned to create many more NEW!, BETTER!, products and that is what today's marketing hype is all about. It's not about dominating a market or competitors; is is all about maximizing production and 100% sales of that production. Look at the model of the fast food industry, where millions of lemmings rush to get their "limited time only" special sandwiches and "seasonal" drink concoctions. All sold with a premium price tag... While sales of the classics like the Model 70 may remain flat, people are buying the new and different.
You're kind of making my point for me. The manufacturers are going for a big flash in the pan to maximize sales for the short term, they aren't trying to come up with new rounds that will stand the test of time.

That's why most are quickly relegated to obsolescence and small niche markets if they survive at all.

Last edited:
Heres a good read.

That's a really good, very well reasoned article.

The only reason I ever moved away from the 7RM was simply velocity. The velocity bug had bitten me bad and so I moved up to the larger 7mm STW case.

We have to remind ourselves what a tiny part of the market Long Range Hunting is.

Only a handful of hunters will ever shoot at game at ranges exceeding MPBR so performance beyond about 300yds is irrelevant to over 98% of hunters.

On average WT are killed at 100yds or less, Muley's 200 or less, Pronghorn under 200yds, feral hogs are rarely taken beyond 100yds. Even Elk typically are shot at average distances well under 200yds.

I like his finish because it's right on track.

Best Medium Caliber Conclusion

As shown in the charts there is a sliver of hope with bullets like the 165 Nosler Accubond or the Berger 170 Elite Hunter but what if you blow your budget on a rifle only to find it does not like the couple of available bullets that meet your goals? The .264 and the .284 currently cover the bases much better than the .277. The .277 doesn't do anything better than the surrounding calibers to warrant painting yourself into a corner. For smaller game and lighter recoil, the .264 is just a better option. For larger game and cleaner quicker kills, the.284 is a much more lethal choice.

You're kind of making my point for me. The manufacturers are going for a big flash in the pan to maximize sales for the short term, they aren't trying to come up with new rounds that will stand the test of time.

That's why most are quickly relegated to obsolescence and small niche markets if they survive at all.
I have 4 270win the rifleman's rifle they are great 2 in pre 64 win Fn Belgium 1909 argentine they are all shooters . I love my 6.5s and my 7mm s and 30 cals . Quarter bores etc . Now let's get realistic .007 difference in bullet diameter from 277 too 284 is not ever going too make the 277 more popular than the 7mm bullet offerings look all the 7 mm bullet offerings . The 270 is too close too the 7mm too change anything.The 270 is what it is you may get a few more offerings as time goes by but that's going too be it .The 6.5s ,7mm s 30 cals 33 cals are here too stay with more bullet offerings years too come.

You're kind of making my point for me. The manufacturers are going for a big, flash in the pan to maximize sales for the short term, they aren't trying to come up with new rounds that will stand the test of time.

Again Who Cares. Anytime someone speaks about performance, you come back with marketing, niches, obsolescence, market focus, economics, market share, BLA BA BLA BA BLA BA _______ BLA. Who cares
The .277 AND .284 are much closer in size to an all around bullet. There's guides in Alaska that won;t allow 6.5's on there hunts.
What makes the 6.5 SO magical over .277's and .284's, besides all the marketing BULL?

I'm coming in late for this conversation, But I own a Needmoor and love it. Here's why. I owned a CZ 550 in 6.5x55. I shot it, shot it some more, way more, till it wouldn't shoot worth a poop. That's a lot of bullets down the tube. Wanted another, or to have it re-barrled , that's about five years after the CM came out. Ballistics were near a perfect match to the swead. Tons of Creedmoor stuff, I saw the writhing on the wall, bought a Sauer mod. 100 6.5 CM I have killed about Fifty to seventy deer with it. None escaped. Just like the swead. Easy recoil, seriously accurate. Perfect deer rifle for 500 yards and in. It WILL become a classic. I also own a 7mm08, if I want more ump. Both are easy to shoot. When you get old and have been slammed into submission by magnums you'll understand.