6.5x284 Loading for best accuracy?

stoti

Hello all.
I've been building a new 6.5x284 rifle over the past 6 months and have finally finished the build and been working on load development. I have my best load figured out, but I was told to try making a slight change and I'm afraid it's going to not only make some changes for the good but maybe some for the bad too. I've tried Nosler RDF's, Hornady ELD-X and M as well as the Berger Elite Hunter and Hybrids all in 140gr except the Hornady bullets in 143gr. For my most accurate load, I'm using 49.3gr. of H4350, Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primers and the Berger 140gr. Hybrids with a velocity of 2950fps. The bullets are loaded at 3.16" coal, just touching the lands. I've got the loads shooting about .4"-.5"moa but I know they can do better. The only thing I can identify that might be causing a slight problem is the maximum deviation in velocity which has caused me to call and talk to Don at Redding to get some loading advice...He told me before I try anything else, I should start by trying magnum primers, after that neck sizing only with the Redding type S dies.
So my first question is this; will the magnum primers increase velocity noticeably, therefore changing my accuracy node? Will the magnum primers do anything else that will adversely effect my accuracy node; pressure spikes, faster/slower burn altering my dope? Any other pertinent information as it applies to this cartridge and load would also be greatly appreciated too, anything at all for that matter. I've loaded rifle ammunition for many years but for hunting at normal distances. Now I want to be able to shoot better groups out to 1000yds and also be able to hunt at longer distances ethically!
My other question has to do with the Quickload program. Because I'm probably going to change the accuracy node on my rifle and I've already shot a lot of rounds figuring out this particular node, I was wondering if someone out there that has Quickload could punch in my load data and tell me where my next accuracy node should be? Having two of the accuracy nodes should help me dial in the nodes while using the magnum primers...Or, if you would willing to punch the numbers in with the magnum primers too, that would be even more greatly appreciated. 24" Bartlein barrel with a 1:8 twist, Lapua brass, H4350 powder @ 49.3 grains, CCI BR2 and Winchester magnum primers. As I said before, my accuracy node falls right around a velocity of 2950fps but if we can find the next node up and add velocity and accuracy without excessive pressure that would be phenomenal. Whether I'm using the BR2 primers or the magnum primers just doesn't matter to me one bit. I just want the best accuracy and I'm hoping for consistent .3"moa or better at 100yds.
I know this was a very long post yet had some pretty simple questions. I really do appreciate those of you that have stuck with it and answer the questions for me. If someone could run the Quickload numbers that would really help me out tremendously. I don't want to use up this barrel's life just doing load development so some Quickload information would really help out and cut down on the learning curve. PLEASE SOMEBODY THROW ME A BONE WITH THE QUICKLOAD INFORMATION!!! It will only take you a couple of minutes and will save me hours of reloading and range time while at the same time saving me a ton of barrel life that I can use at long range competitions or hunting! Thank you all very much in advance.
Sincerely, Kevin Stoughton(Stoti)

Considering your particular rifles barrel length I would be trilled with 2950. I think you are about there. I doubt there is much more to be had. My 26" 6.5/06 usually top
Out with best accuracy right between 2,970 and 3,000 and I can't reach the next node up safely. I would hesitate to burn up barrel life looking at H4831sc or Retumbo. You won't likely be able to make use of anything much slower. Magnum primers may yield a bit more velocity, maybe. You will need to reduce your load about 10% and work back up.
My advice is to buy all the 140 Berger hybrids you can afford from the same lot and enjoy that rig. I have never had an animal scoff at me and run off for only shooting the Berger 140 hybrid at 2970 and a consistent .3 MOA. They all just fall over very dead.
A longer barrel may get you 100-150fps 6.5/284 is a great round, but it was never intended to do much more than you already are doing with it and 140 class bullets. It isn't a 264 win mag and **** sure isn't a 26 Nosler.
Have fun with that good shooting rig and be safe.

Hello again.
I went out yesterday and tested a bunch of loads with the Berger 140gr. hybrids and shot a .255" 6 shot group at 100yds and a 1.20" 5 shot group at just over 300yds which is the best I've gotten since I started load development. The velocity for these loads was still right around 2950fps and I still have quite a bit of room in the case to try and reach the next node. I don't think I'll have any problems with pressure and I'm hoping since it will be at 100% of case capacity they might be a little more accurate. So, other than trying the magnum primers and trying to reach the next node, I really don't want to mess with these loads much more.
I forgot to mention in the previous post, I did try Retumbo and 4831sc in my initial load development and the H4350 shot more accurately than either of those. As you know though, that was in the initial stage of load development so after some tweaking they might shoot great. But...since the barrel life with this caliber is crappy, I'm going to stick with what I came up with the other day and call it good. I shoot out to 1000yds out here in Northern California often and past 400-500yds the gun shoots better than I do, so I'm fine with .255" at 100yds and 1.20" at 335yds.
Anybody out there with Quickload, I'd still like to hear where the next accuracy load would fall into place...I'm thinking about 3%-4%(going by OCW) more than my load of 49.3gr. (which would be about 50.78gr - 51.27gr.) should be about right for the next node and 100% case capacity but I'd like to hear from someone with Quickload to confirm or dial me in so I don't have to shoot so much. Thanks for the response. Kevin
Below are the two targets with the best groups I was talking about. The target with the orange dot is 6 shots although you can only see 4 holes. The first three shots were literally in the same hole! Exactly in the same hole. If I stopped there it would have been a 0.00" center to center 3 shot group. The other picture is of a tractor disc with a 1.20" 5 shot group at 335yds. I threw in a picture of my gun too since I love it so much. LH Remington action, Bartlein barrel, blueprinted and put in a Masterpiece Arms chassis topped with a Vortex Razor 5-20 scope. If you look closely there are other extras too. Lightweight Tubbs firing pin and heavy spring, fluted bolt shroud, bolt work, Cerakote, Remage barrel system, 2lb Timney straight trigger, custom brake etc...

Attachments

• IMG_2387.JPG
    IMG_2387.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 684
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 647
  • 000_1061.jpg
    000_1061.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 791
I have done quite a bit if work, owning a few 6.5x284's over the years and most recently built one with a Bartlein barrel, 1;8 twist, 26", Sendaro/Varmint contour. Some observations and answers to your questions:

-The difference between Fed 210M and Fed215M primers is about 40FPS. This equates to .5-1 grain of powder. This seems to hold true for the Winchester and CCI primers as well. Accuracy between the two seems to be powder/rifle dependent. Overall, in my rifles, I have gotten the best accuracy with standard primers and greater powder to a sweet spot of 2975-3000FPS. I'm partial to the Federal 210 Match primers.
-On all three of my rifles I have produced my best accuracy, lowest ES, and excellent temp stability using Retumbo at 57-58gr with 140gr Berger VLD Hunting and JLK VLD's. The slower burning Retumbo fills the case and seems to be easier on the barrel throats. Pressures are lower then the faster burning H4350 and H4831SC at 2950 while generating velocities that are 50-75FPS without effect on accuracy. I get get complete burn out of 24" barrels with minimal velocity loss compared to my 26" barrels. Seating depth is barrel dependent. Two of my rifles shoot best at .075" off the lands, My Bartlien is best at .020" off the lands with Berger 140 Hunting VLD's.
-I only use Lapua brass and size the neck to .292" and use an expander plug. Runouts are .001-.002". I use both NS and FL Redding S dyes. While I have found my very best groups(<.25MOA) are achieved with 1-2x fired, NS brass, I can get consistent .25-.4MOA with all three rifles using either neck sized brass, or FL sized with headspace set at .001-.002" less then fired brass.

I wouldn't claim my loads to be the best, but I have had very good success hunting for the past several years with game shot from 500-1200 yards. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 596
That is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!!! Thank you so much. Most of the time I ask questions here or on other boards, most people want to tell me what they want to tell me and don't really answer the question or give useful information. Again, THANK YOU! I do appreciate it and will use the information starting right now. Thanks again! Kevin

I have done quite a bit if work, owning a few 6.5x284's over the years and most recently built one with a Bartlein barrel, 1;8 twist, 26", Sendaro/Varmint contour. Some observations and answers to your questions:

-The difference between Fed 210M and Fed215M primers is about 40FPS. This equates to .5-1 grain of powder. This seems to hold true for the Winchester and CCI primers as well. Accuracy between the two seems to be powder/rifle dependent. Overall, in my rifles, I have gotten the best accuracy with standard primers and greater powder to a sweet spot of 2975-3000FPS. I'm partial to the Federal 210 Match primers.
-On all three of my rifles I have produced my best accuracy, lowest ES, and excellent temp stability using Retumbo at 57-58gr with 140gr Berger VLD Hunting and JLK VLD's. The slower burning Retumbo fills the case and seems to be easier on the barrel throats. Pressures are lower then the faster burning H4350 and H4831SC at 2950 while generating velocities that are 50-75FPS without effect on accuracy. I get get complete burn out of 24" barrels with minimal velocity loss compared to my 26" barrels. Seating depth is barrel dependent. Two of my rifles shoot best at .075" off the lands, My Bartlien is best at .020" off the lands with Berger 140 Hunting VLD's.
-I only use Lapua brass and size the neck to .292" and use an expander plug. Runouts are .001-.002". I use both NS and FL Redding S dyes. While I have found my very best groups(<.25MOA) are achieved with 1-2x fired, NS brass, I can get consistent .25-.4MOA with all three rifles using either neck sized brass, or FL sized with headspace set at .001-.002" less then fired brass.

I wouldn't claim my loads to be the best, but I have had very good success hunting for the past several years with game shot from 500-1200 yards. Hope this helps.

GreyFox, your post is very informational. Thank you. I have just started my load workup on my new 6.5-284 Norma. I am wondering if you or anyone else has experience with the Hornady 147 ELD-M. I have a bunch of retumbo and some H1000 to try, but I am contemplating trying some RL26. Any suggestions? So far the gun shoots best at .020 off the lands with lapua brass and federal 210M primers. I got the rifle with a 26 inch tube and a 7.5 twist to shoot those long heavy laser beams. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Try 54.5 grains with 140 JMK VLD's I use LR primers not magnum?
I get right at 2860 with no strain Not fast really but they never vary!
It's a bit faster than Retumbo.

I have a 1:7 26" barrel. I had a hard time finding accuracy. I started with rl19 which I couldn't get smaller than 1.5" group. Switched to rl26 and got it down to 1" finally retumbo was my calling. Got it to .62 moa

53.5 gr retumbo, lapua brass, 215, 143 eldx.

Unfortunately I'm at 2800fps. Wish I could get it higher but my accuracy falls off the table if I go even .2 gr either way

I have found that if you use mag primers with reloder 26 it really tightens the groups. At least in my gun, 210s shot just about an inch, and 215s shot a 1/2 inch

Anybody have any experience with the 150 SMK? I plan to shoot the 147 and the 150 until the 156 bergers come out. Thank you for all of your input!