Best die setup for 6.5x284?

I just ordered a CA ridgeline in 6.5X284 for me nephew and will be handloading everything for it. My proposed die setup:
Forster FL sizer
Forster micrometer seater
Whidden type S bushing FL sizer.

My idea behind two sizers, I'll measure the neck OD after sizing w/ the non bushing die, and if it falls in that 289-290 od measure, and then expand w/ mandrels to 291, then seat a bullet to 293. I'll run the FL die. If I have to use bushings, so be it. From sounds of it, lapua is a bit tight to the 297 chamber ID, so I'll probably end up turning. You guys have better suggestions for dies! Thanks!
The dies you have are both quality with the whidden being the higher end ! I've used wilson dies for my 6.5x284 with eld bullets and its 1/2 inch consistently ! I've taken pigs and sheep with the rifle and it does the job

It will serve you well. I still don't know why guys buy neck dies with a body die. Why run your brass twice to get sized when you can run it one time.
Shep
Right or wrong you don't body size until you have a problem.

It will serve you well. I still don't know why guys buy neck dies with a body die. Why run your brass twice to get sized when you can run it one time.

Shep
Right or wrong you don't body size until you have a problem.
I got the neck die for necking down peterson 284 to 6.5x284.

Last edited:
The dies you have are both quality with the whidden being the higher end ! I've used wilson dies for my 6.5x284 with eld bullets and its 1/2 inch consistently ! I've taken pigs and sheep with the rifle and it does the job
I have 6x sets of redding type S bushing dies and they've been more consistent then my whiddens. I've had to return two sets for excessive runout then the other came with a horribly bent expander stem. I've had gooduck. With their seaters tho. They're okay at best in my book due to their inconsistencies in the last couple years.

Another vote for Redding type S dies. I'm using a .292 bushing for about .0015 neck tension on the 130 Accubond. Getting good case life out of Nosler brass. Still on my first box of 50. Shoots great!

629E580F-D2EE-48E7-BDE2-728141D390C0.jpeg

My last set of whidden dies were actually in 6.5-284 and you couldn't even get a new brass to go in the die. I sent it back with some fired brass and they promptly sent me a new die. My 6slr whidden set was perfect. I have had zero issued with Redding s dies.
Shep

I did have on Redding standard die fail. It was a 243 and I run a piece in and it stuck. Proceeded to rip the rim off the brass so I drilled and tapped the brass and made a bolt to fit and it just pulled the threads out. They sent me a new one no questions asked.
Shep

I just ordered a CA ridgeline in 6.5X284 for me nephew and will be handloading everything for it. My proposed die setup:
Forster FL sizer
Forster micrometer seater
Whidden type S bushing FL sizer.

My idea behind two sizers, I'll measure the neck OD after sizing w/ the non bushing die, and if it falls in that 289-290 od measure, and then expand w/ mandrels to 291, then seat a bullet to 293. I'll run the FL die. If I have to use bushings, so be it. From sounds of it, lapua is a bit tight to the 297 chamber ID, so I'll probably end up turning. You guys have better suggestions for dies! Thanks!

Sounds good. i use redding type s fl with no ex ball. Then measure the neck bump. I expand with sinclair mandrel for .002 and then use forester ultra to seat. Concentricity improved over rcbs standard fl dies alot

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.