6.5x284 Loading for best accuracy?

Funny I didn't notice the date. One of the reasons I love this site. Everyone loves to talk about the 6.5x284. There is so much great info especially anything written by greyfox. Never gets old.
I did note the date. 2017 I think. I knew it t was an old post.
I've been loading for many years just for fun and my own enjoyment. I always try to be SAFE with my loads. I find something that my gun likes and stay with it
I expect that your Cooper is throated similar to mine at the 6.5x284 Norma spec(.188"). This being the case, you should have no issue shooting 51.5gr of H4831sc using 140 class bullets. I agree with others that you may be confusing this powder with H4350 which is a faster burner and should not be loaded to this level. I use 53.0gr of H4831sc in my Cooper which is near max, but no pressure signs, as well as with three other similarly throated rifles. I do recommend that this load be worked up in .3gr and pressure signs checked. Using Fed210 or CCI Br2 primers with Berger 140 VLD's and Lapua brass, this load generates 2930-2950FPS with low ES and superb accuracy(<.5MOA) in my 24-26" bbl. rifles.
My go-to hunting load is 57-57.5 gr of Retumbo using the same components. This load generates 2975-3010FPS in my rifles rifles giving higher velocity with comparable accuracy and ES to H4831sc.
Thanks Gray Fox. I did confuse the two powders. Your info was a big help.

Hello - new to the forum and new to the 6.5x284. Have chosen to post here because of the respect and helpfulness from the read above. With that said I am a hobby hand loader and like learning about new things. Recently picked up a Savage 116 in 6.5x284 Norma in used but nice condition. 1-8 with 24" barrel. Still waiting on a couple items to complete before test drive. The info given above has been very helpful o thanks to all. Any feed back on this particular gun would be much appreciated.

I have a Savage 110 LRH in 6.5x284N with a 24" barrel. Make sure your barrel is free floated. If not, clear it with sandpaper. Shoots sub .5MOA with H4831sc(53gr) and Retumbo(57gr) and Fed 210m(or Fed215M) primers/Lapua brass. Likes Berger 140HVLD's, 142SMK's, and Hornady 143/140 ELD-x and ELD's…Start loads a couple of grains or lower and work up!
IMG_0780.jpeg
IMG_0779.jpeg

Hello all.
I've been building a new 6.5x284 rifle over the past 6 months and have finally finished the build and been working on load development. I have my best load figured out, but I was told to try making a slight change and I'm afraid it's going to not only make some changes for the good but maybe some for the bad too. I've tried Nosler RDF's, Hornady ELD-X and M as well as the Berger Elite Hunter and Hybrids all in 140gr except the Hornady bullets in 143gr. For my most accurate load, I'm using 49.3gr. of H4350, Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primers and the Berger 140gr. Hybrids with a velocity of 2950fps. The bullets are loaded at 3.16" coal, just touching the lands. I've got the loads shooting about .4"-.5"moa but I know they can do better. The only thing I can identify that might be causing a slight problem is the maximum deviation in velocity which has caused me to call and talk to Don at Redding to get some loading advice...He told me before I try anything else, I should start by trying magnum primers, after that neck sizing only with the Redding type S dies.
So my first question is this; will the magnum primers increase velocity noticeably, therefore changing my accuracy node? Will the magnum primers do anything else that will adversely effect my accuracy node; pressure spikes, faster/slower burn altering my dope? Any other pertinent information as it applies to this cartridge and load would also be greatly appreciated too, anything at all for that matter. I've loaded rifle ammunition for many years but for hunting at normal distances. Now I want to be able to shoot better groups out to 1000yds and also be able to hunt at longer distances ethically!
My other question has to do with the Quickload program. Because I'm probably going to change the accuracy node on my rifle and I've already shot a lot of rounds figuring out this particular node, I was wondering if someone out there that has Quickload could punch in my load data and tell me where my next accuracy node should be? Having two of the accuracy nodes should help me dial in the nodes while using the magnum primers...Or, if you would willing to punch the numbers in with the magnum primers too, that would be even more greatly appreciated. 24" Bartlein barrel with a 1:8 twist, Lapua brass, H4350 powder @ 49.3 grains, CCI BR2 and Winchester magnum primers. As I said before, my accuracy node falls right around a velocity of 2950fps but if we can find the next node up and add velocity and accuracy without excessive pressure that would be phenomenal. Whether I'm using the BR2 primers or the magnum primers just doesn't matter to me one bit. I just want the best accuracy and I'm hoping for consistent .3"moa or better at 100yds.
I know this was a very long post yet had some pretty simple questions. I really do appreciate those of you that have stuck with it and answer the questions for me. If someone could run the Quickload numbers that would really help me out tremendously. I don't want to use up this barrel's life just doing load development so some Quickload information would really help out and cut down on the learning curve. PLEASE SOMEBODY THROW ME A BONE WITH THE QUICKLOAD INFORMATION!!! It will only take you a couple of minutes and will save me hours of reloading and range time while at the same time saving me a ton of barrel life that I can use at long range competitions or hunting! Thank you all very much in advance.
Sincerely, Kevin Stoughton(Stoti)
The one 6.5x284 Norma I've owned had the same node. 2950 fps was by far the best for me. I shot Berger bullets with Retumbo and Federal 210M's and killed a whitetail at 750 yards on a perfect morning to take such a shot. My rifle never would shoot really good at 100 yards, but it started to shine at 400 and beyond. I never had a place back then to shoot over 800 yards, but it was a deadly little round. I stopped using it for a 28 Nosler, and I still think about building me another some day.

Thank you and Merry Christmas. Hopefully the parts will arrive before Christmas to get this finished. This has been very helpful. Excited to see how it does. This is my first 6.5 cartridge so I guess I had to see what all the buzz was about

Lots of good info in this thread. There are several other threads about the 6.5-284 if you search the forum. IMHO, Greyfox has the most experience about this cartridge so I consider what he says as 6.5-284 gospel. 😉
Mine is built on a LA with a 1:8 24" barrel. Load is Lapua brass, Fed 210M, 53.0 grains of H4831sc and a Berger 140 VLD. Shoots .25 MOA at 2950 all day long. I have tried to speed it up and found another node around 3020 but wasn't as accurate and saw no reason to hurt my barrel looking for speed. As others have said, 2950 seems to be the sweet spot with this cartridge and a lot of people have success with that.

Federal 210M primers, H1000 or Retumbo, 147 ELD-M and Lapua Brass. If you want some target or steel ammo try the Hornady A-Tip in 135 and 153 grain - very high B.C.s.

Great info. Looks like I get to do some shooting. 😁
We do shoot steel from time to time but main purposes for this setup will be coyotes and deer. Have an abundant population of coyotes this year