6.5x284 Loading for best accuracy?

I have shot 147s, but the 143s shot better. I shoot the 140 berger elite hunters now. I have also tried 140 partitions. My next bullet is going to be the Barnes LRX.

You actually got some very good advice a few posts above. 2950 with a 140 is very close to max according to most published data. It shoots very well in your rifle. Instead of chasing that elusive 50 fps load up some rounds and spend some time at distance learning your rifle. Verify your drops. Shoot in some wind. You will likely benefit more in the field from more trigger time than trying to improve on the load or squeeze out a few more fps.

Just finishing up some load development. I ended up loading 55.4 grains of retumbo at .015 off the lands. Shoots just about same hole in 5 shots at 100. Barrel 26 inches and is just about through the break in process. I can tell it is already speeding up. This load gave me about 2850, which was somewhat depressing. I am getting slight ejector marks with this load, but no troubles with extraction. Just for my own curiosity I picked up some RL26. I loaded up a few cases just to try, and 54 grains looks quite promising. I have yet to tune it exactly and plan on stretching it out when possible. I would like to see the gun shoot near 3000 like it is supposed to without seeing excess pressure.

Hello all.
I've been building a new 6.5x284 rifle over the past 6 months and have finally finished the build and been working on load development. I have my best load figured out, but I was told to try making a slight change and I'm afraid it's going to not only make some changes for the good but maybe some for the bad too. I've tried Nosler RDF's, Hornady ELD-X and M as well as the Berger Elite Hunter and Hybrids all in 140gr except the Hornady bullets in 143gr. For my most accurate load, I'm using 49.3gr. of H4350, Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primers and the Berger 140gr. Hybrids with a velocity of 2950fps. The bullets are loaded at 3.16" coal, just touching the lands. I've got the loads shooting about .4"-.5"moa but I know they can do better. The only thing I can identify that might be causing a slight problem is the maximum deviation in velocity which has caused me to call and talk to Don at Redding to get some loading advice...He told me before I try anything else, I should start by trying magnum primers, after that neck sizing only with the Redding type S dies.
So my first question is this; will the magnum primers increase velocity noticeably, therefore changing my accuracy node? Will the magnum primers do anything else that will adversely effect my accuracy node; pressure spikes, faster/slower burn altering my dope? Any other pertinent information as it applies to this cartridge and load would also be greatly appreciated too, anything at all for that matter. I've loaded rifle ammunition for many years but for hunting at normal distances. Now I want to be able to shoot better groups out to 1000yds and also be able to hunt at longer distances ethically!
My other question has to do with the Quickload program. Because I'm probably going to change the accuracy node on my rifle and I've already shot a lot of rounds figuring out this particular node, I was wondering if someone out there that has Quickload could punch in my load data and tell me where my next accuracy node should be? Having two of the accuracy nodes should help me dial in the nodes while using the magnum primers...Or, if you would willing to punch the numbers in with the magnum primers too, that would be even more greatly appreciated. 24" Bartlein barrel with a 1:8 twist, Lapua brass, H4350 powder @ 49.3 grains, CCI BR2 and Winchester magnum primers. As I said before, my accuracy node falls right around a velocity of 2950fps but if we can find the next node up and add velocity and accuracy without excessive pressure that would be phenomenal. Whether I'm using the BR2 primers or the magnum primers just doesn't matter to me one bit. I just want the best accuracy and I'm hoping for consistent .3"moa or better at 100yds.
I know this was a very long post yet had some pretty simple questions. I really do appreciate those of you that have stuck with it and answer the questions for me. If someone could run the Quickload numbers that would really help me out tremendously. I don't want to use up this barrel's life just doing load development so some Quickload information would really help out and cut down on the learning curve. PLEASE SOMEBODY THROW ME A BONE WITH THE QUICKLOAD INFORMATION!!! It will only take you a couple of minutes and will save me hours of reloading and range time while at the same time saving me a ton of barrel life that I can use at long range competitions or hunting! Thank you all very much in advance.
Sincerely, Kevin Stoughton(Stoti)
Where

Hello all.
I've been building a new 6.5x284 rifle over the past 6 months and have finally finished the build and been working on load development. I have my best load figured out, but I was told to try making a slight change and I'm afraid it's going to not only make some changes for the good but maybe some for the bad too. I've tried Nosler RDF's, Hornady ELD-X and M as well as the Berger Elite Hunter and Hybrids all in 140gr except the Hornady bullets in 143gr. For my most accurate load, I'm using 49.3gr. of H4350, Lapua brass, CCI BR2 primers and the Berger 140gr. Hybrids with a velocity of 2950fps. The bullets are loaded at 3.16" coal, just touching the lands. I've got the loads shooting about .4"-.5"moa but I know they can do better. The only thing I can identify that might be causing a slight problem is the maximum deviation in velocity which has caused me to call and talk to Don at Redding to get some loading advice...He told me before I try anything else, I should start by trying magnum primers, after that neck sizing only with the Redding type S dies.
So my first question is this; will the magnum primers increase velocity noticeably, therefore changing my accuracy node? Will the magnum primers do anything else that will adversely effect my accuracy node; pressure spikes, faster/slower burn altering my dope? Any other pertinent information as it applies to this cartridge and load would also be greatly appreciated too, anything at all for that matter. I've loaded rifle ammunition for many years but for hunting at normal distances. Now I want to be able to shoot better groups out to 1000yds and also be able to hunt at longer distances ethically!
My other question has to do with the Quickload program. Because I'm probably going to change the accuracy node on my rifle and I've already shot a lot of rounds figuring out this particular node, I was wondering if someone out there that has Quickload could punch in my load data and tell me where my next accuracy node should be? Having two of the accuracy nodes should help me dial in the nodes while using the magnum primers...Or, if you would willing to punch the numbers in with the magnum primers too, that would be even more greatly appreciated. 24" Bartlein barrel with a 1:8 twist, Lapua brass, H4350 powder @ 49.3 grains, CCI BR2 and Winchester magnum primers. As I said before, my accuracy node falls right around a velocity of 2950fps but if we can find the next node up and add velocity and accuracy without excessive pressure that would be phenomenal. Whether I'm using the BR2 primers or the magnum primers just doesn't matter to me one bit. I just want the best accuracy and I'm hoping for consistent .3"moa or better at 100yds.
I know this was a very long post yet had some pretty simple questions. I really do appreciate those of you that have stuck with it and answer the questions for me. If someone could run the Quickload numbers that would really help me out tremendously. I don't want to use up this barrel's life just doing load development so some Quickload information would really help out and cut down on the learning curve. PLEASE SOMEBODY THROW ME A BONE WITH THE QUICKLOAD INFORMATION!!! It will only take you a couple of minutes and will save me hours of reloading and range time while at the same time saving me a ton of barrel life that I can use at long range competitions or hunting! Thank you all very much in advance.
Sincerely, Kevin Stoughton(Stoti)
Where did you get your load data from? 49.3 grs. if H 4831 powder is not listed in any manual I have looked in. It is WAY over MAX. I have a Cooper 6.5x284 also and I'm looking for a good load for it. I have 142 gr. S. M. K with Lapua brass. What you have seems like it is WAY TOO HOT. Have I missed something ??

Where did you get your load data from? 49.3 grs. if H 4831 powder is not listed in any manual I have looked in. It is WAY over MAX. I have a Cooper 6.5x284 also and I'm looking for a good load for it. I have 142 gr. S. M. K with Lapua brass. What you have seems like it is WAY TOO HOT. Have I missed something ??
That's not necessarily excessive for H4831. Hodgdon Online lists H4831; 140gn with a 49.5gn 2722 FPS max; Sierra 142 HPBT is 50.3gn 2714FPS max; 143gn ELD-X 50.0gn 2713 FPS max.

24" Bartlein barrel with a 1:8 twist, Lapua brass, H4350 powder @ 49.3 grains, CCI BR2 and Winchester magnum primers
I read that he was talking about H4350, not H4831. You're probably correct that that is beyond book max load data for 6.5-284 Norma, which is what publishers would work off of. Depending on a lot of variables, many guys choose to not stop where the book says - especially in something that was wildcatted for so long before it was standardized. It was out in the wild for over 30 years before Norma papered it, so there was a significant amount of experience loading it before anyone did anything as silly as take pressure measurements 🤣
1678380662714.png

You are very near max @ 2950 with a 24 inch barrel. Gaining accuracy on a maxed out sub moa load would point towards a different bullet or powder. But in a barrel that you are going to get 1000 to 1500 max rounds from you might wanna save barrel life and go with 1/2 moa accuracy and as someone else said you will probably get more accuracy gain from practice with the gun then reloading to gain 50 or even 100 fps.

I expect that your Cooper is throated similar to mine at the 6.5x284 Norma spec(.188"). This being the case, you should have no issue shooting 51.5gr of H4831sc using 140 class bullets. I agree with others that you may be confusing this powder with H4350 which is a faster burner and should not be loaded to this level. I use 53.0gr of H4831sc in my Cooper which is near max, but no pressure signs, as well as with three other similarly throated rifles. I do recommend that this load be worked up in .3gr and pressure signs checked. Using Fed210 or CCI Br2 primers with Berger 140 VLD's and Lapua brass, this load generates 2930-2950FPS with low ES and superb accuracy(<.5MOA) in my 24-26" bbl. rifles.
My go-to hunting load is 57-57.5 gr of Retumbo using the same components. This load generates 2975-3010FPS in my rifles rifles giving higher velocity with comparable accuracy and ES to H4831sc.

I also use a lot of h4831sc one rifle does really well with 52.5 gr. At 2875 from a 24 in barrel with slight ejector marks. The other runs 2950 from a 26 in barrel at 53 gr no pressure signs. I did go higher but accuracy suffered. Half moa at 2950 fps is really good for most applications.

Zombie thread... 2950 is where most of the F-Class guys run the 140 Bergers. If OP didn't figure that out 5 years ago, he's probably already burned up his barrel... For future posterity, getting to the next node up would be a bit of a challenge with H4350 or H4381SC. Anything over 2950 in a 24" 6.5-284 is gravy

That's not necessarily excessive for H4831. Hodgdon Online lists H4831; 140gn with a 49.5gn 2722 FPS max; Sierra 142 HPBT is 50.3gn 2714FPS max; 143gn ELD-X 50.0gn 2713 FPS max.

I read that he was talking about H4350, not H4831. You're probably correct that that is beyond book max load data for 6.5-284 Norma, which is what publishers would work off of. Depending on a lot of variables, many guys choose to not stop where the book says - especially in something that was wildcatted for so long before it was standardized. It was out in the wild for over 30 years before Norma papered it, so there was a significant amount of experience loading it before anyone did anything as silly as take pressure measurements 🤣
View attachment 445656
Ok, I'm the goat. I mis read the post. MY MISTAKE. Now I can see the correct data.,I will have a starting point. Thanks for keeping me in line.

Recent Posts