6.5CM v. .308?

tdregs13

Hi all,

I was just wondering what you all would recommend to a relatively new long range shooter for a starting rifle caliber? I was pondering either the 6.5CM or the venerable .308. I will have to buy factory ammo for each (as I do nit reload yet), and seeing as the average cost of match 6.5 is about $2 cheaper than .308, it had me wondering. I am looking at a savage rifle in both instances, and just want some advice to maybe help me make a definite decision. Thanks

I just picked up a 6.5 creed and the hornady match rounds and it shoots lights out. What amazed me the most is the recoil, this round is very tame especially compared to .30's. The .308 is definitely the more popular of the two, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Creed.

Those are both excellent choices. I would go with the creedmore for the reduced recoil over the 308. I did have a 308 and loved it could shoot it almost forever without having to worry about shooting out the barrel. I'm pretty sure the CM gets really good barrel life as well. I don't have any first hand experience with the creedmore but I do have a 6.5x47 Lapua and it is a dream to shoot all day long. Buy some 130-140gr ammo loaded with Bergers or Hornady A-Max's and do a proper barrel break in, when you get your new rifle and have fun. What glass are you planning on putting on said rifle? Good luck with your decision.

Hi all,

I was just wondering what you all would recommend to a relatively new long range shooter for a starting rifle caliber? I was pondering either the 6.5CM or the venerable .308. I will have to buy factory ammo for each (as I do nit reload yet), and seeing as the average cost of match 6.5 is about $2 cheaper than .308, it had me wondering. I am looking at a savage rifle in both instances, and just want some advice to maybe help me make a definite decision. Thanks

What are your goals? Targets only...animals? If animals...which ones and how far do you want to attempt a shot?

With high BC bullets like a Berger VLD 140, the Creedmoor is going to be easier to use well in the wind, and have noticeably less recoil. To get a comparable BC in a .30 cal you have to get pretty heavy, and in a 308 you give up a lot of velocity. Barrel life is theoretically less with the CM, but if you don't run it white-hot you should be having fun for a long time to come. I have a Ruger M77 with a 25.5 inch varmint contour barrel and a brake, total weight right at 10 pounds, and it is a real sweetheart to shoot all day.

Creedmoor hands down for me. Its going to have less recoil than the 308 and the 6.5 mm bullets have a very high B.C. even in the lighter pills. In order for a 30 cal bullet to match that B.C it has to get very heavy and the 308 will be pushing it much slower than the Creedmoor with a 140 grain bullet. If your buying ammo then the Creedmoor is a no brainer. Its cheap and shoots lights out. The Creedmoor is an excellent hunting round as well out to id say around 800-1000 yards with the proper shot placement. Cant go wrong with the 6.5 cm both my dad and i have one and they both shoot consistent 1/2 moa or under with occasionally a 1/4 moa.

Creedmoor.

Learn LR with it. Also practice with your 22LR to 200 yards and more.

Quality factory ammo.

Savage 6.5CMs just shoot well. No info on any others.

Those are both excellent choices. I would go with the creedmore for the reduced recoil over the 308. I did have a 308 and loved it could shoot it almost forever without having to worry about shooting out the barrel. I'm pretty sure the CM gets really good barrel life as well. I don't have any first hand experience with the creedmore but I do have a 6.5x47 Lapua and it is a dream to shoot all day long. Buy some 130-140gr ammo loaded with Bergers or Hornady A-Max's and do a proper barrel break in, when you get your new rifle and have fun. What glass are you planning on putting on said rifle? Good luck with your decision.

I plan on topping it with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP, still up in the air as to get it in mil or moa reticle though

What are your goals? Targets only...animals? If animals...which ones and how far do you want to attempt a shot?

Just targets; I like the thrill of bowhunting a little more so no animals. Regardless of the target I'd ultimately like to be able to stretch out to 1000.

I'm going to go against the grain because It's my nature.

.308 Win gets my vote. TONS of factory loaded quality ammo and match ammo available on shelves.

Both good choices. If it's dedicated paper, 6.5 CM could be tough to beat next to the 308. If game is involved, I'll take the 308 any day.

You can fling a 190 in a 308 nearly as fast as a 140 in a CM. Windage will be slightly better for the CM, recoil again to the CM favor but down range energy and barrel life will hands down go to the 308. The real question is which of those qualities matter to YOU the most?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.