.30-06 v .308 for LR

jski

Considering one of these 2 round for competition shoots.

I noticed this immediately:

.30-06
Case capacity
68 gr H2O (4.4 cm3)

Case capacity
56 gr H2O (3.6 cm3)

That give the .30-06 a 21% greater case capacity, before considering anything else. Then I noticed that there are Xtreme powder (e.g., H1000) loads for the .30-06, none for the .308. And if I'm not mistaken, there is a greater selection of "super bullets" (e.g., Berger) for the .30-06.

So, before considering anything else, from the go the .30-06 appears to be a superior round for LR competition.

Last edited:
I guess the type of competition may come into play. The '06 will pound your shoulder more through repeated use. They're both great calibers when used within their intended range of use. Similar ballistics till you start pushing heavy pills and then the '06 gets the edge. My advice is to check out what everybody else is using in said competition. When it comes to the 308 and '06, there's no need to re-invent the wheel.

I prefer the .30-06, but will say it's so close the rifle would be more important.
There's an article over on Accurate Shooter, where a top level shooter used identical rifles over a season, and the .30-06 showed up a per cent or 2 over the .308. Just a little better in the wind I suspect.

+1 on what Mike338 wrote. Up to 150 grains, it's a wash with these calibers ballistic equals.

I would have thought the 3 items I mentioned in my original post would have given the '06 more of an edge? 21% greater case capacity is not a 1% or 2% advantage.

Are we talking hand loads or factory loads?

I'll have to find it again, but suspect handloads. 21% case capacity only translates into 2-4% more velocity. I'm not math oriented enough to more than read it, but Litz and others have some of these results calculated into probabilities of hits on the Applied Ballistics ap. The differences we stress about don't make much difference at 1000 yards.

Either/or...

There's more than a few kiss'in cousin calibers that have more powder, that don't offer significant ballistic gains until you change the weight of the projectile. The 308 has a great case design that's very efficient in the way the best powders ignite, or something like that. Plug the end of the case with a 180 gr. projectile though and the '06 is the clear winner. Just one of those things. Otherwise, they're pretty close. I personally prefer the '06 to hunt with because it's very versatile and the additional case volume gives me plenty of wiggle room to find an accurate load without worrying about velocity. Typically in competition though, you throw a fair amount of lead downrange and all the best shooters know that managing recoil to your advantage generally results in better scores. Similar ballistics, less recoil... seems like a recipe for success.

Same bullets work in both. If you check you will find that the .308 has been used
a LOT more than 30-06 in competition! It was really a mainstay for years.
Recoil isn't bad..Barrels last a long time..Components everywhere..
I would build a .308...

As mentioned earlier you really have to prioritize what competition you're speaking of. General rule I have found is my PSS 308 is very consistent and easy to make accurate loads for. Where my hunting 06 will shoot heavier bullets faster. Look up Montana Marine on 24HR and you'll see his 06.

Then I noticed that there are Xtreme powder (e.g., H1000) loads for the .30-06, none for the .308.
There are "Extreme Powder" loads for the 308 win. Look up Varget, H4895, Benchmark loads for the 308 Win. Other powder manufactures have tons of loads for temp insensitive loads for the 308 win.

I would have thought the 3 items I mentioned in my original post would have given the '06 more of an edge? 21% greater case capacity is not a 1% or 2% advantage.

I've read where the short action--.308--is supposed to have less spring/movement then the long action--30-06 because the action is a lot shorter, thus making it more accurate. That may be true, however I am not too sure that I buy that one, just another consideration to look into before you make a decision. Recoil sensitivity certainly "is" a concern when considering shooting a rifle for long periods of time. I personally have both calibers and I find both of them to be quite accurate (and really not that much difference in recoil), but....I'm not shooting them in matches out to 1000 yards. I prefer that 30-06 over the .308 personally. My $.02c worth!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.