308 vs 30-06 and other rounds? WHY is a 308 better?!?

I always think its interesting when a newbie drags up an old thread and the responses start all over again as if it was a new topic that didn't already have 15 pages of discussion.... :rolleyes:

I just enjoy the conversation, I don't care how old the thread is if someone wants to discuss something I'll try to help. Maybe we should tell all newbies not to post and if they have any questions concerning old post that they will be thrown off the forum.

I just enjoy the conversation, I don't care how old the thread is if someone wants to discuss something I'll try to help. Maybe we should tell all newbies not to post and if they have any questions concerning old post that they will be thrown off the forum.

I don't mind anyone asking questions at all. That's why we're all here!

This one was dragged up by someone posting two smiley graphics and then it started to take off again. I would consider that action by the 2-post newbie to be immature but that's only my thought. Perhaps others think it's an appropriate way to continue an old thread.

I always think its interesting when a newbie drags up an old thread and the responses start all over again as if it was a new topic that didn't already have 15 pages of discussion.... :rolleyes:

Well...HellBells Dude....you're probably azzhole deep to a tall geeraffe in snow so what more can ya do?? Go work on ya snow blower while I go to the range!!:Dgun)

Well...HellBells Dude....you're probably azzhole deep to a tall geeraffe in snow so what more can ya do?? Go work on ya snow blower while I go to the range!!:Dgun)

Nah, wrong area of Michigan; you're thinking many miles north of here. Only an inch or so locally right now. The biggest danger are all the drivers who think they can drive at normal speeds on black ice. Ditches were full of evidence to the contrary this morning.

the 30-06 can be loaded down to an equivalent 308 load . the sako mannlicher in 308 is nice and light and points like a dream , the 30-06 sako mannlicher is quite heavy.

Guys, there are so many factors to determine this long asked question. I've shot both and they are excellent calibers. The most important factor of all though, is what you as a shooter are most comfortable with and yet the surrounding factors play a significant roll here as well. Start with your rifle and what you expect of it. Play with various loads (if possible), made for your end result such as projectile sizes and types, different powder burn rates, brass lots, ect. You have to find out what you and your rifle are most happy with. Happy Shooting!gun)

A lot of the old timers like the 30-06 because that's what they used in the war. And it became one of the most popular hunting rounds because that's what those guys knew and felt comfortable with after they got out of the military.

A lot of guys my fathers age like the 308 because that's what they used in the war. And it became one of the most popular hunting rounds because that's what those guys knew and felt comfortable with after they got out of the military.

Many soldiers over the last few decades like the 223 because that's what they used in the more recent wars. And that is proven by the fact the the AR15 is currently the most popular rifle in America.

Manufacturers ramp up production in whatever is popular at that time. So eventually the "military" rounds end up being popular for all of us because there are so many rifles available in those cartridges. (I am a veteran but never carried a firearm for my job role while enlisted).

There is a great chance nothing I've stated above is true. It's just the way things seem to play out to me. :)

This one will never end, equivalent to Chevy vs Ford.

I own quite a few rifles of differ calibers but when i go out i always seam to grab the 308. Not that its any better but it just seams much nicer to shoot. I let my boy handle the biggies.

I have read through the years or responses and it is interesting because everyone says one or the other is better based on totally different criteria. If the question is which one is faster...obviously the 30-06 used to be 150-200 fps faster. Is this still true? Depends on who you ask. By this logic the 300 win mag is better than both and we all should be shooting 300's (no thanks). A lot of people seem to think there is a benefit to a short action. The bolt is shorter, it's lighter and some folks think the shorter action is stiffer and that makes it more accurate. Having hunted and shot competitively for more than 30 years...I have owned more than a dozen different bolt guns in calibers based on 308 and 30-06 cases. My experience has been that guns like the 30-06, 25-06, 270 and 280 can be very accurate rifle but always seemed to take a little bit of load development to find a really accurate load for the rifle. Rifles based on the 308 case (243, 260, 7-08 and 308) seem to be a bit less finicky about the particular load. When I was younger I was always looking for the flat shooting screaming hot rifles in the next caliber. As I get older...I have found that a 308 is more than enough rifle for anything I need and is not at all finicky about what you feed it.

Is the 308 the best? For what I want in a rifle it seems to work the best for me. Based on what you need/want in a rifle there may be other calibers that work better (and the 30-06 may just be the best for you). Thank goodness we don't have to live with just one rifle/caliber.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.