25-06 for LR shooting

Bkknupp

I am new to LR hunting and shooting. I have a Rem 700 sps with factory barrel in 25-06. I have installed a B&C medalist stock on the rifle and a Timney trigger. Is it possible to shoot this set up , with a good hand loaded 115 Berger ,out to 800yrds ? Can I expect any consistency with the factory barrel out this far ? I mainly just want to ring steel with it.

Yes..you can do it with no trouble at all. I use a 115 gr Berger in mine. I have shot steel with mine out to 700 yds and still have more elevation in my leupold scope to go out farther. It's good practice for judging wind because that light bullet really gets moved around when its blowing!

I think the 25-06 is a very under rated caliber. Buddy of mine has one and it shoots very well. I used one for most of my teen years for whitetails. Good caliber and very deadly.

I have a bone stock remington 700 bdl that wears a 3-9x40 that easily rings steel at 500 (furthest I've shot it) with 117 gr SGKs and 100 gr NBTs both over h4831. It is my favorite all around caliber, from groundhogs to elk at resonable distances I wouldn't have a problem carrying my 25. I plan to build a LR rig in this caliber, I just can't mess with the one I have because it shoots so good as it is.

BK,
It will do what you're asking of it. Last weekend I shot steel with mine at 900yds. I was using the 115gn Berger in my stock Sendero SF. I'm using 54gn or RL22 w/BR2 primers. My velocity is 3104fps and OAL is 2.7730". While this load is not max in my rifle it is accurate. Be careful because, as they say "YMMV". :) JohnnyK.

If you ever want more umph out of your 1/4 bore, you could always rechamber to .257 Wby Mag and have the bolt face opened to Magnum bolt face.

I am most concerned if the available bullets for the .25 caliber guns will allow for good long range performance. I know the caliber itself is powerful enough to shoot out to 1000 im just afraid the bullet selection will not be suitable to accurately shoot that far.Also, I have a.257WB that I use to deer hunt with. It is a great caliber. However, the 25-06 is cheaper to load and shoot so thats why I want to use it for LRS.

I've added up the difference (minus brass), and it's oy a out $0.10-0.15 difference to load .25-06 and .257 Wby Mag. However, if you're buying factory loaded ammo, it is signidicantly cheaper to shoot the .25-06.

I shoot the 110gr Nosler Accubonds. Berger makes some 115gr VLD's that should help tou reach out and touch something. Hope this helps.

I am new to LR hunting and shooting. I have a Rem 700 sps with factory barrel in 25-06. I have installed a B&C medalist stock on the rifle and a Timney trigger. Is it possible to shoot this set up , with a good hand loaded 115 Berger ,out to 800yrds ? Can I expect any consistency with the factory barrel out this far ? I mainly just want to ring steel with it.

The only way to find out is to shoot it. There are no guarantees with factory actions and barrels. It's like rolling dice. I have a Sendero 25-06 and it shoots sub 1/2 MOA. Great gun.

I am most concerned if the available bullets for the .25 caliber guns will allow for good long range performance. I know the caliber itself is powerful enough to shoot out to 1000 im just afraid the bullet selection will not be suitable to accurately shoot that far.Also, I have a.257WB that I use to deer hunt with. It is a great caliber. However, the 25-06 is cheaper to load and shoot so thats why I want to use it for LRS.

The rifle and barrel have a lot more to do with LR accuracy than bullet selection. Mine shoots anything quite well. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.