6.5CM or 300WM for Once In A Lifetime Hunt?

What part of central texas exactly? Shooting over 5/600 yards would not seem likely in my mind. Even that is a little bit of stretch. Unless maybe south central texas. At least in areas I'm thinking of.

300wm is my go to. I hunt north central Texas and always try to keep a pig or 2 in the freezer. You will be fine with either on deer but those big pigs can be tough.

As far as I am concerned there is no such thing as over gunned, but it is possible to be under gunned.

Steve

Thanks for all the replies.

I think this is a good chance to get the 300WM dialed in like the 6.5CM is now. I'm sure the confidence will be there after some quality, focused range time.

I'll be back with pics after the hunt.

Ha, I've been there. FYI it's not "the prettiest town that Ive ever seen". I actually hunted about 30 min north of there. But, if you get the chance, go to Joe Allens for dinner. Absolutely amazing food. It was one of the many highlights to my Texas trip. If you enjoy a good beer from time to time, try a Zeigen Bock. I was told it's made and only sold in Texas. I brought a few home, but they didn't last long. I really enjoyed my Texas hunt, I'm sure you will to.

Different country, but I always carry the largest caliber I'm comfortable with. I live and hunt in Alaska, so I plan on the occasional encounter with big mean animals. But, if you're never getting another chance at this hunt, I'd carry the larger of the 2. Get it tuned up and don't look back. You could honestly use the SMK's, but the ELD-X would be better suited for the hunting. Have fun, smoke a few hogs.

I may be odd man out on this one but have been in the same dilemma myself with two superbly shooting LR rifles, a 6.5x284 and a 300WM. I hunt medium game; whitetails, mulies, and antelopes almost exclusively and generally limit my shots 1000 yards(except for varmints and the occasional antelope). There is no question in my case that the 6.5x284 is my darling. Lighter, pleasant to shoot, and downright deadly in terms of accuracy. But like yourself, I was initially concerned about the killing power at longer ranges. Now after 7 years and dozens of game and a bunch of coyotes taken between 500 and 1200 yards with both rifles I have made some observations. I don't consider them gospel, just my personal experience. Firstly, at long range, the heavier 30 caliber, high BC bullets(210/215's) rarely expand on medium game and pencil through. The smaller 6.5 bullets will still expand tending to offset any energy/caliber difference between the two. I have had more medium game DRT with my 6.5x284 then my 300WM. Second, bullet placement trumps any difference in caliber. A bullet hole only .04" bigger in the wrong place gives a comparable bad result. For these reasons I have settled on my 6.5x284 for my LR medium game and reserve my 300WM if larger game is on the menu. The lighter 6.5's like the CM and 260 I would set my max range on medium game a couple of hundred yards less then the 6.5x284 but given that +90% of the reasonable opportunities at game I have shot is under 800 yards, I would still use the smaller 6.5 if I was more confident, and the rifle was a handier hunting weapon.
Just my thoughts.

I may be odd man out on this one but have been in the same dilemma myself with two superbly shooting LR rifles, a 6.5x284 and a 300WM. I hunt medium game; whitetails, mulies, and antelopes almost exclusively and generally limit my shots 1000 yards(except for varmints and the occasional antelope). There is no question in my case that the 6.5x284 is my darling. Lighter, pleasant to shoot, and downright deadly in terms of accuracy. But like yourself, I was initially concerned about the killing power at longer ranges. Now after 7 years and dozens of game and a bunch of coyotes taken between 500 and 1200 yards with both rifles I have made some observations. I don't consider them gospel, just my personal experience. Firstly, at long range, the heavier 30 caliber, high BC bullets(210/215's) rarely expand on medium game and pencil through. The smaller 6.5 bullets will still expand tending to offset any energy/caliber difference between the two. I have had more medium game DRT with my 6.5x284 then my 300WM. Second, bullet placement trumps any difference in caliber. A bullet hole only .04" bigger in the wrong place gives a comparable bad result. For these reasons I have settled on my 6.5x284 for my LR medium game and reserve my 300WM if larger game is on the menu. The lighter 6.5's like the CM and 260 I would set my max range on medium game a couple of hundred yards less then the 6.5x284 but given that +90% of the reasonable opportunities at game I have shot is under 800 yards, I would still use the smaller 6.5 if I was more confident, and the rifle was a handier hunting weapon.
Just my thoughts.

Well said.

I am a bigger is better guy, but I really like the 6.5 cal. A bit magical in my opinion.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts