Help Deciding on "Budget" Rifle & Scope for Once in a lifetime Elk tag (narrowed down list)

Some really good advice thus far. The PRC is sweet, but I think you may want to wait if you don't hand load.
I would sink more into the scope on an current rifle.
While I like more magnification, I would rather have something with no more than 3 on the low end of the variable, very good glass, a lot of features and FFP. I actually hunt with a 2.5-10 most of the time and shoot to to hunting accuracy to 1k. A 3-15 or 2-20 would be the best.

ND243-----congrats on the tag, what a wonderful opportunity! Take it all in, enjoy the whole journey. Get in shape, have good boots and glass which I'm guessing you're already good with.

Sounds like you've decided on a 300 WSM, IMO that's a great choice! Consider practicing with it to the ranges you'll shoot to via shooting at paper plates. Hit the turf and get 3 rounds on the plate in under 10 seconds.

If you're still considering rounds and haven't for sure locked on the 300 WSM then a Tikka in .308, 06, 270, 25/06, 7 RM, 7/08 and or 6.5 CM will all do you well. Plenty of reach and easy to work with.

Enjoy it my friend!

300 whiz bang,it works the bull was 500+,200NAB,handload factory browing 325wsm,good mountain gun

Attachments

• SP 6X6.jpg
    SP 6X6.jpg
    931.5 KB · Views: 78
  • mule 6x7.JPG
    mule 6x7.JPG
    936.7 KB · Views: 58
Just a reminder, the boring old 30-06 is right on the heels of that 300wsm, for velocity and energy.
And it's killed more elk than all the wsm's, saum's, and ultra's! And it's way cheaper.
Just saying

Lots of good advise from the guys about gear. I live in elk country in ND and have harvested one. If you drew E3 or E4 and plan to hunt public I can provide a ton of waypoints and information regarding the area and where I've seen animals. Pretty familiar with E2 as well. I'd love to help, shoot me a PM!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts