6.5 X .284 or 7mm Rem Mag.

Deerhntr71

Of the two, which one makes a better long range rifle. A friend of mine swears by his 6.5 X .284 for mild recoil and sub MOA out to 650 yards with handloads and Berger bullets. I have always leaned to the 7mm, what does everyone else think.

6.5-284 has better brass and outstanding ballistics with little recoil Like you said. The 7mm is a great cartridge but I don't care for the belted magnums just my personal preference. The 280 Ackley would be a good one or even the straight 284 win. With 168-180 grain bullets they should be able to provide the same great wind bucking ability of the 6.5 and provide more energy on target with not a whole lot more recoil.

Of the two, which one makes a better long range rifle.

I have both chambers, one custom one factory. Both will shoot sub 1/2 5 shot groups. The custom is a pure joy to shoot but at an additional cost. The factory is also a great gun. If I was having to choose a chamber from what you stated were the goals and only used on deer, I would pick a day of good fortune, take a coin print 7 on one side and 6.5 on the other, flip it then run to the store.

You can't go wrong with either in a good gun....just take that gut feeling and run with it.

Tough comparison for me. I currently own a 6.5X284, have owned 7mmRM in the past and it will be the next barrel I purchase, probably first of 2014. Absolutely love the 7Mag and have grown to love the 6.5x284.
Quoting the write up in Nosler's #5 Reloading Guide "Since the mid-1990s, the 6.5-284 has dominated 1000-yard competition. The 1000-yard ballistics of a 140gn 6.5mm bullet at 2900 to 3000fps muzzle velocity equals a .30 caliber 220-grain bullet at 2800 to 2900fps, and you are subjected to half the recoil!" This one quote had a lot to do with me obtaining a rifle in this caliber. No doubt about it, it is a accurate round, with negligible recoil.
The 7Mag, IMO, has just the right combination of power, speed and accuracy. I think with a good rifle and tailored handloads, it can and does hold its own at all ranges. For hunting out to 650yds, either will do/flip a coin. Past that I'd probably lean on the 7Mag because of its power edge.
Better yet, get one of each! :) JohnnyK.

I have spent a lot if time with both calibers, and agree that if you reload, you can't really go wrong with either for the hunting you describe. I personally use the 6.5x284 for medium game out to 1000 yards, and coyotes farther. Don't know whether it's the low recoil or the inherent accuracy of the cartridge, but with a good rifle and load, my hunting rigs running 10-11 pounds shoot like my Benchrest rifles. I can understand the strong reputation that the 6.5x284 has earned. If I need more energy for bigger game, or greater distance, I have in recent years moved up to the 300WM and passed by the 7mm. With a good break, the recoil is about the same, as is the reloading cost and rifle weight. There is also a wider selection of reloading components. IMO

I have to agree with JohnnyK. The 7mm mag seems to be the perfect blend for elk, deer and antelope to 1K. My Rbros 7mag is pushing 180 VLD's @ 3056 and I was able to take a NZ Tahr at 500 yards with this rifle with a TX heart shot as he was just about to go over a mountain range.

I have hunted with lighter and heavier caliber rifles, but the 7 mag seems to be just about right for me for 1 k and under. However, having said that, I plan on using a 7 WSM or 260 on an upcoming Wym antelope hunt.

Just pick one or both and go hunt. One can never have too many rifles!

Just my 2 cents

With modern ballistics you are always splitting hairs. Getting numbers from an online calculator vs real world when you factor in conditions and someone pulling the trigger, I doubt you'd be able to distinguish or get the benefits of one over the other. If you are setup for one or the other, stick with it and work on your loads till perfection. That being said, if you can do the same or more with less, why wouldn't you?

I have both and would go with the 6.5. I'm shooting a 140 Berger at 2900 fps. It has plenty of power for medium to larger game shoots about the same drop wise with far less powder and recoil. If I wanted to go with a 7mm I would go for a 7mmSAUM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.