6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

I built a 7SS on a Savage 116. I bought it new as a package deal in 300 WSM. I parted out the barrel and put the scope on an old '06. This is an inexpensive way to go and it shoots .2's........Rich
Not that it really matters for the purpose of this discussion, but out of curiosity, was the new barrel a pre-fit or one a smith mounted?

Not that it really matters for the purpose of this discussion, but out of curiosity, was the new barrel a pre-fit or one a smith mounted?

Rhian did it on a 3b Bart. By selling the barrel and scope, you can build one for about $2000 with a Boyds laminate pillar bedded stock......Rich

Here is a pic:
7SS Savage.jpg
I do think the Tikka would be a good way to go though!

I looked into that to. Thought I could just buy a wsm bolt and go with it. Legacy won't sell a bolt without you sending in the rifle and letting them check headspace. They didn't care if it was for a custom build. The extractor was the issue with opening up the bolt face.

Get it from Weatherby. That is the same part.

I emailed them but have not heard back yet. If I don't hear back in the next day or two I will try calling. I will post up once I hear something.

Call ask me to and I'll go over there and get it. I can also give you the bolt face dimensions.

Call ask me to and I'll go over there and get it. I can also give you the bolt face dimensions.
Called Weatherby, they said the same thing as Howa said to TC338, "it is a factory installed part so I would need to send the gun in". Not sure how that would work since the original barrel would still be on it and not the new chambering.

So since it looks like the Howa I was looking at is out I am now looking at a Tikka 300WSM or Savage with a new bolt face from Midway. Leaning towards the Tikka.

Called Weatherby, they said the same thing as Howa said to TC338, "it is a factory installed part so I would need to send the gun in". Not sure how that would work since the original barrel would still be on it and not the new chambering.

So since it looks like the Howa I was looking at is out I am now looking at a Tikka 300WSM or Savage with a new bolt face from Midway. Leaning towards the Tikka.

The Tikka is a great choice!! I built my 300 SS on a T3 also and can not believe how accurate this rifle is. If you are going to run a COAL more than 2.840ish I would recommend getting a 7mm or 300 win mag since the actions are the same for the long and short actions but you will already be set with a magazine that will allow COAL of around 3.380ish and you wont need to shorten the magazine stop either.

Good Luck

The Tikka is a great choice!! I built my 300 SS on a T3 also and can not believe how accurate this rifle is. If you are going to run a COAL more than 2.840ish I would recommend getting a 7mm or 300 win mag since the actions are the same for the long and short actions but you will already be set with a magazine that will allow COAL of around 3.380ish and you wont need to shorten the magazine stop either.

Good Luck
Well, I guess that then leads me to ask, what are most of you running your COAL at when loading up a 140 VLD? I can't afford to shoot the VLD very often so most of my shooting is done with a slightly shorter A-Max but would still like the ability.

Also, does anybody know if a Tikka bolt face can be opened up safely or if I would need to go with a WSM? I think I found a WSM at a price I am willing to pay but just curious if it falls through if I can open my search up to standard Tikkas as well?

Well, I guess that then leads me to ask, what are most of you running your COAL at when loading up a 140 VLD? I can't afford to shoot the VLD very often so most of my shooting is done with a slightly shorter A-Max but would still like the ability.

Also, does anybody know if a Tikka bolt face can be opened up safely or if I would need to go with a WSM? I think I found a WSM at a price I am willing to pay but just curious if it falls through if I can open my search up to standard Tikkas as well?

I shoot the 150 Matrix at 2.850". I really like that bullet. b.c. is just slightly less than the 140 at .310 g7.

UPDATED PROCEDURE TO FORM 6.5SS BRASS:

Equipment and materials:

Press
7 SAUM die shortened .090"-.100" (RCBS)
6.5 SS die set
Case Trimmer
Neck turner
Calipers accurate to .000
Chamfer tool (inside and outside)
7SAUM brass (prefer Norma)
Remoil spray
Shop towels
Q-tips

(1) Trim 7 SAUM cases to 1.968" (plus or minus .002") but try to get as equal as possible.
(2) chamfer case mouth inside and out
(3) Apply a VERY light film of Remoil inside and out of case neck with a piece of shop towel for outside and Q-tip for inside.
(4) Push shoulder back .084" with shortened 7 saum die (you can measure before and after with bump gauge included in 6.5SS die set (REMEMBER as little Remoil as can be applied) use one extra stroke thru the expander to help iron out the doughnut.
(5) Set the neck turning tool to cut the wall to approx. .014". Neck should be turned to 1.640" measured from the case head
(6) Set the 6.5 SS die approx .010" short of where you will normally size a fire formed case. This will help headspace the case. (use more if necessary) test fit for a little tension on bolt closure. Necking to 6.5 from 7 will thicken the case wall about .0005".

I usually run through an entire lot of cases a step at a time. i.e. Trim all cases first and so on.
Your case with a bullet loaded should measure .294" neck o.d. to get .004" chamber clearance. Minimum of .003" should be maintained, but .004"-.006" is better. Use a bushing that sizes the neck .002" under (i.e. loaded diameter of .294" should use a .292" bushing). Your brass will be approx .005"-.010" over chamber length before fire forming. (THIS IS GOOD) It will shrink approx. .015" in length when fire forming. The extra length will center the case in the chamber making the forming more concentric.
*CAUTION* MAKE SURE FIRST FIRING TO FORM THE CASE IS AT LEAST 5 GRAINS BELOW MAX! as extra case length could cause excessive pressure!
Load a bullet and fire away. It is not necessary to jam the bullet if the above procedures are followed. You can also use the COW method if you want to.
AFTER FIRE FORMING trim the cases to 1.950". Your chamber is 1.960".
DSCF1321.jpg

DSCF1312.jpg

DSCF1328.jpg

DSCF1315.jpg

DSCF1322.jpg

DSCF1319.jpg

To make your 7mmSS would you need o neck down 300saum or can you do basically the same procedure since your turn the neck??