6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Can I use 300 SAUM brass for a 6.5SS? I found a really good deal, $1.38/ea, for new Norma.

If not, what COAL are you running your 7SS at, apparently this impacts which caliber Tikka I buy? I'm not married to the 6.5 but I am needing to keep the cost down where possible and if the 7 is cheaper to build than the 6.5 then okay.

Yes, you can use 300 SAUM brass. I run 2.920" with a 180 VLD in my 7SS.......Rich

Just curious if there is a "preferred" brand of die for the 7SAUM FL die to be used in the case forming process? I have found the RCBS for $39.94 or the Forster for $46.79, both include shipping. Is there a difference in how the dies work or does one have a rep for creating more run out or anything? Or is one maybe easier for a smith to file down than the other? I tend to lean Forster but I have never used a die in this manner so just checking.

Just curious if there is a "preferred" brand of die for the 7SAUM FL die to be used in the case forming process? I have found the RCBS for $39.94 or the Forster for $46.79, both include shipping. Is there a difference in how the dies work or does one have a rep for creating more run out or anything? Or is one maybe easier for a smith to file down than the other? I tend to lean Forster but I have never used a die in this manner so just checking.

I have the RCBS and it works fine

Rich, I saw in another thread that you mentioned being able to get the hyro die as well. How much are those and what is your thoughts on them? In your opinion, how many cases would you have to form to justify the cost over forfeiting some barrel life with the COW/lands methods?

Jeff

Rich, I saw in another thread that you mentioned being able to get the hyro die as well. How much are those and what is your thoughts on them? In your opinion, how many cases would you have to form to justify the cost over forfeiting some barrel life with the COW/lands methods?

Jeff

They work pretty well but I usually just load a bullet and fire form now. I will have to check on the current price but I think it would be around $175? i don't think the COW method has any affect on barrel life, but of course every loaded round fired does, even if it is a reduced load. I guess it is a toss up IMO and a matter of personal preference......Rich

Thank you for all of the info, this thread has been very helpful. Would a 1 in 8 twist barrel work alright for the 143gr ELDX?

-Paul

Hey Rich (and other knowledgeable people), I have a question that I am pretty sure I already know the answer to but wanted to get your take. I am finally getting around to sizing my brass. I have not been in a rush as I am still 3-5 weeks out from having a stock as mine has been on back order and just received it yesterday. Now it is going to CDI for bottom metal. Anyway, I purchased Norma 300 SAUM cases, a 7 SAUM full length sizing die, had said die shortened .090" by a local smith, K&M carbide neck trimmer. As per the directions I trimmed some of the cases to 1.968 (most are actually 1.9685), chamfered inside and out, lubed with some sizing wax, then ran them through the 7 SAUM FL die (incrementally till bottomed out). When I measure with the included bump gauge instead of the expected 2.511 I am getting 2.536. Do I need to have my smith take off another .025 of the FL die or could I be missing something? Maybe I am not setting the die up correctly? Do you still set it up as a normal RCBS die so you lock it down as soon as it touches the case holder or should I be turning beyond initial contact?

Thank you.

Hey Rich (and other knowledgeable people), I have a question that I am pretty sure I already know the answer to but wanted to get your take. I am finally getting around to sizing my brass. I have not been in a rush as I am still 3-5 weeks out from having a stock as mine has been on back order and just received it yesterday. Now it is going to CDI for bottom metal. Anyway, I purchased Norma 300 SAUM cases, a 7 SAUM full length sizing die, had said die shortened .090" by a local smith, K&M carbide neck trimmer. As per the directions I trimmed some of the cases to 1.968 (most are actually 1.9685), chamfered inside and out, lubed with some sizing wax, then ran them through the 7 SAUM FL die (incrementally till bottomed out). When I measure with the included bump gauge instead of the expected 2.511 I am getting 2.536. Do I need to have my smith take off another .025 of the FL die or could I be missing something? Maybe I am not setting the die up correctly? Do you still set it up as a normal RCBS die so you lock it down as soon as it touches the case holder or should I be turning beyond initial contact?

Thank you.

If you are using the .420" bump gauge included with the Whidden dies, you will have to screw it down some more. You will be ok at 2.515"........Rich

So I determined that I need a stronger bench. I was not using enough force to neck down the brass apparently because my bench was flexing. Once I started to "ignore" that little detail the brass started coming out between 2.511-2.515.

so i determined that i need a stronger bench. I was not using enough force to neck down the brass apparently because my bench was flexing. Once i started to "ignore" that little detail the brass started coming out between 2.511-2.515.

Good deal!