6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

I don't have that one yet but the nitrided barrel on my 30/375 S.I. is great. It is a nice looking finish that is extremely durable. It makes the action very slick and the barrel cleans like a breeze. I picked up about 25-30' of velocity. Time will tell if it increases barrel life. So far, I can see no downside.........Rich

I have an ar10 in .243 nitride shoots really nice. So far it got a little over 1000 rounds with almost no movement in the lands. I am just curious as to how it works on bolts.
Thanks again

image.jpg

Left is 25-06 with 115 gr Berger and right is the 6.5 Sherman with 143 gr eldx

If I had a Howa 6.5 CM what would it take to rechamber it for the 6.5 SS? Is it just the reamer/headspace rental from Rich and $200 or so for a smith to do the work?

If I had a Howa 6.5 CM what would it take to rechamber it for the 6.5 SS? Is it just the reamer/headspace rental from Rich and $200 or so for a smith to do the work?

You would have to open the bolt face and probably modify the magazine. I have the reamer and dies in stock. You would have to talk to a smith about actual cost.....Rich

You'll have to use a different receiver. The Howa bolt can't be safely opened up to accept the SS. I was planning on doing the same thing till my smith looked into the bolt.

You'll have to use a different receiver. The Howa bolt can't be safely opened up to accept the SS. I was planning on doing the same thing till my smith looked into the bolt.
Thank you, that is very good to know. I guess I will not pick up the Howa after all.

Thank you, that is very good to know. I guess I will not pick up the Howa after all.

I obviously have not got my hands on one yet, but the Curtis Custom Axiom looks like an awesome alternative to a trued Remington or any other factory action for that matter.