6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

I'm fireforming too, but I'm using more Cream of Wheat than you... :)

Think I miss-read your Post. Is your lightweight rifle ready to roll yet?

I'm fireforming too, but I'm using more Cream of Wheat than you... :)

Think I miss-read your Post. Is your lightweight rifle ready to roll yet?

I found that c-o-w was just $%^$%^% the bears off, so I started using bullets:D My lightweight is in for Nitride and then back for testing. I can't wait to shoot it! I picked it up a while back at the smiths and it is easy to hold at arms length and shoot one handed except it would likely break my wrist coming in right at 7 lbs. field ready.......Rich

I found that c-o-w was just $%^$%^% the bears off, so I started using bullets:D My lightweight is in for Nitride and then back for testing. I can't wait to shoot it! I picked it up a while back at the smiths and it is easy to hold at arms length and shoot one handed except it would likely break my wrist coming in right at 7 lbs. field ready.......Rich

Wear the tooth guard so you don't chip any teeth.

Just give me the high sign......rich

I read you sent out a barrel for nitride. Who is doing your nitride work and do they accept others barrels?

Also how much are your dies? Rental for reamer? And brass?
Would it be easier to buy gap 6.5saum4s brass and bump back the shoulder than buying 7saum?

Just give me the high sign......rich

I read you sent out a barrel for nitride. Who is doing your nitride work and do they accept others barrels?

Would it be easier to buy gap 6.5saum4s brass and bump back the shoulder than buying 7saum?

My smith "Bigngreen" from this forum, sent the barrel in and I am not sure which company he used. but I am sure they accept any barrel that can be nitrided.
I have heard from multiple sources that the 4s brass is not holding up well at all, so I would highly recommend that you use the Norma SAUM which holds up VERY well!
You can pm me on the dies, brass, and reamer.......Rich

My smith "Bigngreen" from this forum, sent the barrel in and I am not sure which company he used. but I am sure they accept any barrel that can be nitrided.
I have heard from multiple sources that the 4s brass is not holding up well at all, so I would highly recommend that you use the Norma SAUM which holds up VERY well!
You can pm me on the dies, brass, and reamer.......Rich

How do you like your nitrided barrel?
Any draw back in performance?

How do you like your nitrided barrel?
Any draw back in performance?

I don't have that one yet but the nitrided barrel on my 30/375 S.I. is great. It is a nice looking finish that is extremely durable. It makes the action very slick and the barrel cleans like a breeze. I picked up about 25-30' of velocity. Time will tell if it increases barrel life. So far, I can see no downside.........Rich