6.5 ss final design

Order a die blank from PTG and ream it with your chamber reamer. Then bore it for Redding bushings. Pretty simple with a lathe.

I thought about something like that but I would probably have my custom dies by that time. I guess I need to calm down:D. I want to shoot this thing!!......Rich

This is like .... smelling apple pie and knowing that you can't have any. It's just sick and wrong.

On another note: if this is produces what you want how does a guy go about duplicating such a project? For example I would want the same barrel for my savage and then have to get brass etc. Probably not a good round for a guy like me due to the set up process but this is similar to what I want for our outfitter rifle. Short action, 6.5, fast, low recoil, and accurate.

This is like .... smelling apple pie and knowing that you can't have any. It's just sick and wrong.

On another note: if this is produces what you want how does a guy go about duplicating such a project? For example I would want the same barrel for my savage and then have to get brass etc. Probably not a good round for a guy like me due to the set up process but this is similar to what I want for our outfitter rifle. Short action, 6.5, fast, low recoil, and accurate.

Brent....case forming is fairly simple. When I get my custom dies in, I may find it is really simple if I can run the parent case thru in one pass. After that it is just a matter of turning the necks slightly and trimming to length. If enough guys decide to build this, and I think they might when the results come in, I may have headstamp brass available? There isn't ANYTHING out there that is quite like this and I can see some real potential........Rich

NZlongranger has built something similar, but it doesn't fit in a SA as well. He has shortened a 338 lapua down to WSM length and then necked down to 6.5. Projectiles are screaming out, but I expect barrel life is short!

Sweet. Love the fact a few brave souls experiment and bring options to the table.

Not sure if it's bravery or ??? It is kind of fun spending the kids inheritance though:D. Here are a couple of pics showing where the 160 Matrix would be seated. There is PLENTY of room left for sufficient powder to push this over 3000' and it will fit in a std. Rem 700 S.A. box. This case is not fully formed and you may notice the .264 bullet stuck into a .277 neck. This shoulder is only 30 degrees and the completed case will be 40 degrees and .008" less taper.....Rich DSCF0513.jpg

DSCF0516.jpg

Looks like a pretty cool round Rich!!

When you get some testing done and the reamer cools off maybe you can send it down here!!

Looked at the Matrix. Don't see the 6.5 in 160 on their site. Is that 7mm or am I missing it? Also, it the 160 a hunting bullet or target?

Looked at the Matrix. Don't see the 6.5 in 160 on their site. Is that 7mm or am I missing it? Also, it the 160 a hunting bullet or target?

You're not dreaming! Marshal doesn't have it listed yet but he has been very helpful in getting them out. Rhian (bigngreen) has used the .270 version very successfully on game and we think this 6.5 will be a serious long range threat to just about anything that sleeps!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.