6.5 PRC with Berger 144 Hybrid

I like a heavier bullet. I'd go with the 144 . The 153.5 is .694. the 156 is .679.
The VLD hunting .600. 142 Accubond LR .625 for comparison.

That Accubond LR may be the ticket as I believe it's rated a Hunting bullet as well. I've loaded those for some Gents and they performed very well in Hunting applications. I've personally used the 6.5 129 ABLR in a Creedmoor and have taken 2 Coues bucks with it. Here's one shot at 570 yards.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Eld's are another option. 153 is 704. 147 697.
Running the 135 at 637 has been an interesting test and proving pretty dang worth while. It's kind of crazy how many bullet choices we have in the 6.5. It's to the point of splitting hairs and spending hours with a ballistic app nitpicking what your desires are.
I know you meant 143. I've done a few loads with 143 ELDX in PRC. mostly in Creedmoor. They shot well. In 2018 I used on 3 whitetail does from 300 to 442 yds. from a Creedmoor. Last year on 2 mule deer bucks with PRC.Both short shots. 115 and 75 yds. Performed well. 75 yds was a spine shot. Made a little mess. Also used on 2 doe lope last year at 221and 324 yds. Worked well. Shot a lope doe and whitetail doe last year at 213 and 105 yds with a 140 VLD out of a 6.5x284 . The lope was walking and hit in sternum. Made a little mess. All were 1 shot DRT .
I'm trying to figure out the difference between 143 ELDX is 704 and Berger 153.5 is 694 ?

Last edited:
Eld's are another option. 153 is 704. 147 697.
Running the 135 at 637 has been an interesting test and proving pretty dang worth while. It's kind of crazy how many bullet choices we have in the 6.5. It's to the point of splitting hairs and spending hours with a ballistic app nitpicking what your desires are.
Which 135 ?
Thanks

That Accubond LR may be the ticket as I believe it's rated a Hunting bullet as well. I've loaded those for some Gents and they performed very well in Hunting applications. I've personally used the 6.5 129 ABLR in a Creedmoor and have taken 2 Coues bucks with it. Here's one.

View attachment 196881
Very nice coues buck. Like the cactus on mount. I've heard the ABLR has a thinner jacket for expanding at longer ranges. I'm going to try to use a 142 on a doe lope this year. Hopefully at least 300 yds.

That Accubond LR may be the ticket as I believe it's rated a Hunting bullet as well. I've loaded those for some Gents and they performed very well in Hunting applications. I've personally used the 6.5 129 ABLR in a Creedmoor and have taken 2 Coues bucks with it. Here's one shot at 570 yards.

View attachment 196881
I used to hunt the Cheriqowa mtns. In area 29. Miss it.

"Chiricahua Mountains". I know it well. South of Wilcox. Cool little town called Portal down that way. Anyways.... don't want to hijack the post. Very nice area.
That's the place. Always hatvgoid luck in Whitetail Canyon of all places . I'm done hijacking also ! Sorry

Yes. I run RL26. Retumbo needs a long barrel. Probably same with 33. H1000 and 4831 would be worth a try too. I just really like 26 so I stick with it usually.
N570 needs a looooong barrel as well. RL26 isn't shabby in a long barrel but I guess it's trademark wonder is short & mid length barrels

I used a 153 A-tip on coyotes last fall, ranges were 380, 640, 860 in a creedmoor..........seemed to me they didn't expand much, granted velocity would have been low, but the one at 860 took another shot to put it down....was after a September snow storm and they would just stand out there and look at you while you ranged them and dialed up.