Berger 144 VLDH in 6.5 CM

Apnea

Here's my first batch of hand loads. Wondering if I can speed this bullet up a little or if those more experienced would advise staying where I'm at. Carefully looked and no pressure signs. I only loaded 5 and shot at 100 yards, but can place paper to 600 yards for more testing.

Berger 144 VLDH
1x fired Norma
CCI 200
H4350 43.0gr
CBTO is in garage but these are about 80 thousandths off the lands (magazine limited).
24" 8 twist Kreiger with min spec SAAMI chamber
Temp: 73 F
DA: 6255 ft
Avg MV: 2781 fps
SD: 6
ES: 18

Group under 0.5", which is about as good as I can shoot. If I didn't know the velocity I'd be done, but feel like a but more might give better performance 400-1k yards. Breaking above 2800 fps just seems tempting but not sure if worth chasing a number, or if even practical.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7714.JPG
    IMG_7714.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
BTW I didn't start at 43. I did a ladder up to 43 just measuring velocity and checking for pressure signs before loading this batch.

Not bad for 24inch barrel. I have a fast shooting 26 inch barrel so I do know that makes a difference.
This is a question for you to ask yourself. Will your shots primarily be by twisting a turret or holdovers??? Also will you be using a range finder or guessing your ranges?

I run the 143eld at 2830ish from mine with h4350 (41.5gr alpha brass, 41.7 nosler brass), from a 26" barrel. I havent had a 144 in my hand to measure but unless the bearing surface is really long I would think you could get over 2800.
Pushing it hard really isnt needed, if your groups at long range hold up why try and push for another 30-50fps?

Good questions, hadn't thought of that. For this gun it's dialing elevation and I usually have a pretty good idea of range to target. So I guess in that case, flattening the trajectory doesn't matter that much.

I shoot 147eldms at 2850 using h4350. I shoot a 29 inch barrel so my speed might be slightly higher than a shorter barrel. But for you to check is will it shoot better at a higher speed and what speed will you start to show pressure. I always try to get to the highest safe node in all my rifles. I will also never give up accuracy for speed.
Your gun is shooting great where your at but could do better maybe. Don't sell yourself short on your ability that group suggest you shoot quite well.
Let your gun tell you when it's happy.
Shep

I ran some higher charges today and got to a little over 2800 but got hard bolt lift in the 2840 range, so I think I'll back down to where I was at and trial at distance.

The accuracy node for my son's creedmoor 24" bolt gun came in at 2788 with a 147 with RL 16. It also had an SD of about 6. With .5 moa, 6 SD and 18ES, I'd call it good. Look at how much wind drift another 50 fps will get you, it usually isn't enough to risk a good load.

I recently redid my 6.5x47 load. The last load I had was 2820 with a 147 with an SD about 8 and an ES in the low 20's with RL 16. However, the new load is 2735, but the SD is 3-4 and the ES is sub 10 with Varget. I also wanted to find a use for the varget because I had good bit.

Here's my first batch of hand loads. Wondering if I can speed this bullet up a little or if those more experienced would advise staying where I'm at. Carefully looked and no pressure signs. I only loaded 5 and shot at 100 yards, but can place paper to 600 yards for more testing.

Berger 144 VLDH
1x fired Norma
CCI 200
H4350 43.0gr
CBTO is in garage but these are about 80 thousandths off the lands (magazine limited).
24" 8 twist Kreiger with min spec SAAMI chamber
Temp: 73 F
DA: 6255 ft
Avg MV: 2781 fps
SD: 6
ES: 18

Group under 0.5", which is about as good as I can shoot. If I didn't know the velocity I'd be done, but feel like a but more might give better performance 400-1k yards. Breaking above 2800 fps just seems tempting but not sure if worth chasing a number, or if even practical.
Thoughts?

I'd go one charge increment higher and lower and if that didn't show any improvement, I'd be done.

John

Just to muddy the water a little, I'm getting .300" moa with the 143 gr ELDX and RL26 at 2953 fps. Didn't think this was possible until a highly respected friend from this site told me to try using RL26. He's getting 3040 fps in his Creeds. I never hit pressure and ran out of case capacity. I got over 3000 fps, but my accuracy node was at 2950 fps. I'm only getting 50 fps more out of my 6.5-284 Norma with the same bullet. I'm sure this is a barrel burner, and many will tell me that, but it will be a devastating hunting load. I shoot a lot of 140 gr SGK in the high 2800's, so that's more of a practical load

Rl26 in that size case is stupid fast. Just put it in a 243 and watch out. I just can't get the 1000 yard accuracy out of it. My best load was 2975 with the 147eldm but my h4350 load at 2850 kicks it butt at 1000.
Can't wait to try the new Berger and see if it does better.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.