6.5 prc velocity question

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Bro Dave, Jun 24, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

Dave,
    Your 24" barrel is fine for hunting. That's the length of the Browning X-Bolt Pro I ordered. SAKO barrels are just too short at 20" and 22".

I think we will see Hornady and others bring out their Superformance line for the 6.5 PRC once they catch up on the ELD-M and ELD-X orders and the 300 PRC Army sniper contract.
    When we see 6.5 PRC Superformance ammo with their proprietary powder we'll get back a lot of the missing velocity.
    In the meantime we'll have to see what powders work best. Maybe Hogdon Superformance as it seems to work best in short magnums which is exactly what the 6.5 PRC is.

Eric B.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  2. Bro Dave

Bro Dave Member

thanks all. bd

3. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

All True. Be sure to clean it religiously during the break in process. You should suddenly see a point at which it seems to foul much less. When you do, you're close to broken in.

Next step, watch your velocities shooting the same consistent load. When it peaks and settles in to low ES and SD, you're there and there should be a noticable improvement in accuracy as well. If not start tweaking the load.

Till you get to that point you can waste a lot of time and effort and gain a whole lot of aggravation working with different loads and tweaking them for accuracy.

4. adamjp

adamjp Member

I don't have a 6.5 PRC, but I do have a 6.5-06 and a 6.5 SAUM. The 6.5-06 is identical in performance to the PRC, same capacity, pressure limits within the tolerance of brass (ie about 4k psi). I'm writing this as a small amount of expectation advice.

In my 6.5-06 with a PacNor polygonal barrel I struggled to get 140gn bullets going harder than 3050fps with single base powders like H1000. Even upping the pressure by 8% to 65k PSI isn't going to make the PRC deliver 6.5 SAUM/264 Win Mag velocities of 140gn bullets at greater than 3100fps with safety.

Superformance powder may be different, but then you are tied to a factory offering.

I agree with those who have found bullets in the 130gn and under 140gn to be your best approach for cartridges in this capacity spectrum.

5. DeathstalkerDan

DeathstalkerDan Member

I have a 24" Barrel and with the 143 ELDX I got a five shot average of 3054 with 59.0 grains of H1000 in a new gun. Sometimes they speed up, mine did not.