Questions on 6.5 prc

My kids and I have killed 7 elk now with the 143 eldx in a creedmoor. I'm sure it'll work similar with the extra speed. The eldx pops open and the top fragments a little but the jacket and core drive through or almost through at longer range. All elk have been a one shot affair.
20201110_153000.jpg

The guy in the pic hit a little far back but managed to hit the last inch of lung possible and she died 300 yards away. Considering the poor placement I felt fortunate that she piled up so fast. All the others fell over very close to where they were hit. I have shot the eldx out to 1400 yards for practice but 600 yards is as far as ill hunt with it. 800 on my prc.

That's my 2cents...

My kids and I have killed 7 elk now with the 143 eldx in a creedmoor. I'm sure it'll work similar with the extra speed. The eldx pops open and the top fragments a little but the jacket and core drive through or almost through at longer range. All elk have been a one shot affair. View attachment 226950
The guy in the pic hit a little far back but managed to hit the last inch of lung possible and she died 300 yards away. Considering the poor placement I felt fortunate that she piled up so fast. All the others fell over very close to where they were hit. I have shot the eldx out to 1400 yards for practice but 600 yards is as far as ill hunt with it. 800 on my prc.

That's my 2cents...
Wow nice shot this your son or daughter no offense hard to tell, I love to see the kids getting involved we have a year old and he's ready shots a .243 at 100 yards bullseye

Ha ha.. he's a handsome boy thanks to his mom. He can shoot off bags and bipod. I had to bend down and he shot the elk using my shoulder as a rest though because he can't hold the gun up (10 years old). We were waiting for them. Worked perfectly 202 yards.
My step son hit his @ 315 using my shoulder as a rest. He couldn't get steady and let the big ones get away. But 315 is a good poke for a kid standing. Eldx smoked it

Attachments

• 1222181449.jpg
    1222181449.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 139
I use the 156 g Berger EOL at 2960 fps. 1 shot kills on an elk (only 240 yds) and a mature mule deer at 550 yds performed flawlessly. Neither animal took a step. They are super accurate in both of my 6.5 PRC rifles.

Ha ha.. he's a handsome boy thanks to his mom. He can shoot off bags and bipod. I had to bend down and he shot the elk using my shoulder as a rest though because he can't hold the gun up (10 years old). We were waiting for them. Worked perfectly 202 yards.
My step son hit his @ 315 using my shoulder as a rest. He couldn't get steady and let the big ones get away. But 315 is a good poke for a kid standing. Eldx smoked it
Good job boys and dad sounds like dad teaching you the right way.

Welcome. there will be plenty of input on this. I would say something in the 140 grain + unless you are using hammer bullets.
apologize for posting something not thread related, but had to comment when I saw your auto signature that says "Every day that I wake up to my family is a good day". I'm recovering from almost dying & am still on oxygen. This is the 4th time in my life doctors have told me that I almost didn't make it. Nothing to make you appreciate life like almost dying.

apologize for posting something not thread related, but had to comment when I saw your auto signature that says "Every day that I wake up to my family is a good day". I'm recovering from almost dying & am still on oxygen. This is the 4th time in my life doctors have told me that I almost didn't make it. Nothing to make you appreciate life like almost dying.
Get well buddy! Keep living life.

Amen.

Best of luck my freind this year has not been good year lost kidney due to cancer,lost my mom and a total knee 2 weeks ago i

i have a lot of 127 LRX that i had bought for my 6.5 Creedmoor, and after getting its big brother the 6.5 PRC i've just shot 143 ELD-X so far. they have been great. this year we've (my boys and i) killed 5 deer and an elk with it. Elk at 493 yards - perfect one shot kill broadside through the lungs. Mule deer doe at 360 yards also broadside lungs/heart, 12 yr old shot this one. Mule Deer Buck 45 yards broadside quartering spine shot- (my 10year old shot this one) rifle is sighted in at 200 yrds... - a Whitetail doe 250 yards, broadside, mercy shot after a friend wounded it, a whitetail buck at 90 yards broadside lungs, and a 350 yard whitetail doe low in ribs quartering away.

i have a lot of 143 gr ELD-x and my reloads are matching accuracy and velocity from factory loads, so i'll keep it! i will keep using it for now until i can find a 140ish all copper that works well. i've really loved this PRC this year. its what i always wished i had from the creedmoor velocity wise... the Creedmoor is still an awesome shooter and has done its fair share of shooting and will continue to take game...

welcome and good luck.
Thank you for the info I hope I can find some bullets I have 100 bullets of the 127 lrx looking for some sceanr bullets and the 143 eldx

There will always be instances of component failure under the right conditions but we have taken several deer and elk with the 142 ABLR and had nothing but outstanding results. It may be the overall most lethal LR 6.5 pill I have witnessed over the past few years. I have heard of excessive damage at closer ranges but for reaching out past 350 yards or so they have been highly reliable for me (closest shot we have taken with the 143 was 220 yards and it worked perfectly. I have also had great performance from the 156 Berger and 143 ELD-X. These three are my current preferences for true long range hunting but this year we loaded the 156s because the combination of high BC, reliable accuracy and easy load development has been hard to ignore. We loaded the 156 in the Creedmoors last year and had impressed results with deer and elk so this hunting season I loaded the CMs and PRCs using the 156 EOL. For closer shots I would look at the regular Accubonds, partitions, or monos if you prefer copper. Obviously there are many good options I have not mentioned but these are what I am most confident with today in 6.5 at longer ranges.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.