6.5 PRC for Aoudad??

I would bring a 30 cal. Take a look at the drop at 400+ yards with your PRC. It's likely a lot more drop than most people think. I'm always amazed at all the questions regarding if the creedmor and PRC are "big enough". Well shoot yes they are big enough if you hit them in the right spot. If there is a question I would definitely go 30 cal! I would also suggest trying to get within 300 yards if possible!

Anyone have an Aoudad place they would recommend? I think 5k is about my budget

I would bring a 30 cal. Take a look at the drop at 400+ yards with your PRC. It's likely a lot more drop than most people think. I'm always amazed at all the questions regarding if the creedmor and PRC are "big enough". Well shoot yes they are big enough if you hit them in the right spot. If there is a question I would definitely go 30 cal! I would also suggest trying to get within 300 yards if possible!

What? Perhaps the context of your message was "lost in the text" but the first thing to come to my mind was... This dude really think a .308 or -06 is going to drop less at 400yds than a 6.5 PRC? yeah... nope. .300win? At 400yds, BC just barely begins to factor into the equation. It's a very moot point at such close ranges, at least in my experience.

I'm not sure what you're amazed at, honestly. The OP was asking for quantifiable data & real-world experience. That is how a lot of folks (myself included), educate ourselves & grow as hunters/shooters.

Perhaps I completely misunderstood your reply & if I did, I apologize.

t

We shot our audad last year with 6.5 RPM's. I shot mine with the 115 Power Hammer and Brian shot his with the 134g Power Hammer. Mine was about 100y, centered the shoulders and dropped to the shot. Brian's was about 150y, 1st shot too far back but he only went about 30y and held up in the thick. Second shot on the point of the shoulder at about 100y and dropped him. The poor shot was very telling since he could not muster the energy to leave with the herd.

They are not a big animal but very dense and have that African toughness. If I were not testing bullets and shooting a 6.5 PRC I would load the 124g Hammer Hunter. We are running these north of 3400 fsp very nicely. This makes an easy 700y combo and more if needed. The 124g Hammer Hunter can handle shoulders or odd angles without trouble. I am confident that you will see better terminal performance from the 124g Hammer Hunter at over 3400 fps than anything else mentioned.

As others have said, run what gives you confidence. Confidence should not be overlooked.

If it's what you've been practicing with just stay with it.

Me personally I'd go with the 147eldm, 140eldm, 143eldx. But if you're comfortable with the barnes stuff, press on.
I tried those 147 on an Aoudad hunt and had very poor results with it from my 6.5 creedmoor. Put one in the center of the shoulder (vitals are placed farther forward) @ 200yds and the ram didn't even flinch, kept running like nothing happened. No blood on site so the guide told me to shoot another one. They found the ram 2 weeks later a couple miles from where I shot it.
Shot the second one in the neck. Instant kill, but no exit. Bullet exploded as it encountered bone.
29020D35-4C6B-4B49-80F3-6F79DEA5F1AE.jpeg

Depends —I have killed quite a few with 22, 24, and 25 calibers—I would not suggest u bring a 220 swift, or 243 but they work. A College friend of mines 11 year old son just killed a good ram with a suppressed 243 at 270 yards. My favorite is a 338 win mag/33 nosler/338 Norma—bucks the wind good and good past 300 yards—with plenty of power. Shot opportunities can be far—especially on some properties. One of our places you are probably not going to get closer than 300–but getting back to the subject a 6.5 PRC is fine—more than enough—but keep your shot placement good. Remember shoot further forward than you think.
Look at this username. He probably knows what he is talking about...

I tried those 147 on an Aoudad hunt and had very poor results with it from my 6.5 creedmoor. Put one in the center of the shoulder (vitals are placed farther forward) @ 200yds and the ram didn't even flinch, kept running like nothing happened. No blood on site so the guide told me to shoot another one. They found the ram 2 weeks later a couple miles from where I shot it.
Shot the second one in the neck. Instant kill, but no exit. Bullet exploded as it encountered bone. View attachment 429440

My experience on elk and aoudad with eldm's are the exact opposite. Very dead animals in short order. From 50yds out to 660yds.

Do you have pictures of the damage the "exploding" Bullet did?

I have a possible chance to hunt free range Aoudad in west Texas. This will be the first time for me on these critters. They are known for being big boned and considered tough. I have recently finished building a 6.5 PRC on a medium Zermatt action, Shilen barrel and it's topped with a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44. I've developed a load that the rifle shoots very well and I've run it out to 500 yards on 4" steel. I'm shooting a Barnes 127 LRX at 3040 muzzle velocity, 2282 muzzle energy and still holding a velocity of 2117 at 500 yards and 1264# of energy. (Calculated with StrelokPro). For you guys that have hunted Aoudad will that be enough of a gun to handle the job?
It will work perfect. One of my employees shot an Oryx two weeks ago with a 124 hammer at 350 yards took maybe a step and fell over doing the legs extended tail flopping thing.

My experience on elk and aoudad with eldm's are the exact opposite. Very dead animals in short order. From 50yds out to 660yds.

Do you have pictures of the damage the "exploding" Bullet did?
Pretty nasty bloodshot from the neck all the way down to the chest, but penetration left a lot to be desired
87D3B8E1-144A-4F68-BA0C-0279E8F906D7.jpg

IMG_2726.jpeg

Recent Posts