6.5 PRC for Aoudad??

.they are tough, but can't live very long without their lungs. Shoot a good bullet accurately….any reasonable long range caliber that YOU can shoot will work.

Boom done...they're not real big, 325 or so on the top end I believe. Wreck the lungs, and it's game over. If I went I'd take my 25/06 or 22/250 and get into 400 yds or less. I have mo fun stalking than I do shooting a bit further. Just my way anymore. When I was a younger pup I was all about how far can I take something. No mas

Your 6.5 PRC will be fine as will the 127 LRX bullet.

I have a buddy that shot his Auodad with a 6.5 PRC and 140 Accubonds and DRT.

That said, when I go for one I will be taking my 300 or 338 Norma. 😬

I watched a young Ram soak up 3 rounds from a 308 shooting 175 Berger VLDH @ 2800fps at less than 125 yards.

I think I have about decided to take the 300 Win Mag. with 180 Accubonds. Both it and the PRC shoot very well. This may be the only time (I hope not) that I get to do this and I don't want to make a mistake I could have prevented. Sure grateful for all the comments and feedback all !
When's the hunt? Report back after!

I think I have about decided to take the 300 Win Mag. with 180 Accubonds. Both it and the PRC shoot very well. This may be the only time (I hope not) that I get to do this and I don't want to make a mistake I could have prevented. Sure grateful for all the comments and feedback all !
KTP, take the rifle that you shoot the best. Shot placement is always the key factor in a quick humane kill. Thinking that taking a 300 Winchester is going to solve the issue if you make a bad hit is the wrong way to go about it my friend. A well placed shot from a 6.5 PRC with a good bullet, and the Barnes LRX is a good bullets, is going to anchor any Aoudad out there. If you shoot the PRC better and have 100% confidence in it, than that is the rifle you need to take. I have killed lots of elk, mule deer whitetail and antelope her in Montana with a 25-06 and 257 Weatherby using 100 Grain TTSX bullets. Is it the optimum bullets for the task, maybe not for Elk but when you put it in the kill zone it works just fine. Supplementing with a larger caliber just in case, only puts doubt in your mind and if your on a once in a lifetime hunt you sure don't need any doubt creeping in at the moment you pull the trigger. Of course the is all just my opinion, but I have 40 plus years of hunting under my belt and have taken and seen lots of animals taken. More times than not its a marginal or poor hit that creates problems, not the rifle or bullet combination used.

I had a 6.5 PRC built for an upcoming Red Stag and Tahr Hunt in New Zealand in April. I have been shooting it every other week for months now and I have no doubt it will take both of these species with no issues out to 600 yards. Good Luck with your hunt and please let us know how it turns out.

The young man on the right killed this one Sunday with a Blaser R8 in 6.5 Creedmoor at 370 yards. Hornady 143 eldx at 2750. A nice one for his first. The gentleman on the left used the same rifle to kill a real trophy at a hair over 400 yards. His first shot was a little far back but second shot put him down for good. Moved 30 yards between shots.

Attachments

• 56143036-0120-4D81-9695-49F6F8B6C3B3.jpeg
    56143036-0120-4D81-9695-49F6F8B6C3B3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 107
I am shooting 156 gr Berger EH over H1000 with <1in groups at 300yds from my home built 6.5 PRC. MV 2887 and ME 2888, at 600 yds velocity 2100 and energy 1650 ft/lbs That should be good for Aoudad.
I would also like to go Aoudad hunting, I used my 6.5 prc and the 156 over H1000 on Caribou last fall and at 327 yards it was one and done. It's what I'll use for my future Aoudad hunt, when I can find a reasonable one

I'll try to remember to report back. My friend and I are doing an aoudad hunt in 18 days. Both of us are using Weatherby 6.5 RPM's. Only difference is I'm using 127 gr. Barnes and he's using 140 gr. Partition handloads. We'll see if there's any noticeable difference.

Both will be dead :D Seriously though, I would really like a detailed look at the terminal performance in comparison to one another. My money says the LRX will exit.

t

Recent Posts