Aoudad hunts

Depends on a lot of stuff. Physical fitness level? Rifle, bow, etc? You want to spot and stalk or sit feeders? Hill country or far west Texas? High fence/low fence?

I've killed a couple. Hunted my ram in some rough country out by Van horn. It was a great hunt. Killed a ewe in the hill country south of rocksprings which was another great hunt.

Check out westtexashunt.com mike McKinney does some great hunts

2020 ram
A4744242-BAD1-4BCC-8160-430FDFD918CF.jpeg

2023 Ewe
1A0EBF5C-9717-4C68-A369-1F7529C8E0E5.jpeg

Josh Johnson at premier hunts Llc is the best place we have found. Awesome group of guys that will hunt the way you want to. Lodge and food are fantastic. Huge ranch so plenty of room to run around. These are from our trip this year. The scenery really does put it up there as a true sheep hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpeg
    IMG_1318.jpeg
    520.2 KB · Views: 177
  • A4CDC275-FBB7-4940-B34A-A03C16B3C2ED.jpeg
    A4CDC275-FBB7-4940-B34A-A03C16B3C2ED.jpeg
    299.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 93BF3337-8074-422A-98FE-EBADE5561096.jpeg
    93BF3337-8074-422A-98FE-EBADE5561096.jpeg
    750.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 8950F32D-5545-47A9-8D86-E191A9B32D07.jpeg
    8950F32D-5545-47A9-8D86-E191A9B32D07.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 179
I won't name my outfitter, as he leases land in Alpine on occasion just when he has clients. But I had to crawl up a mountain on my hands and knees to get to the peak, without being seen. And I mean through catcus, thorns, nasty brush. Be prepared with knee pads and thick gloves.

There are big populations of Aoudad in North Texas as well. Palo Duro Canyons and Caprock Canyons have two good populations. Post TX has ranches with Aoudad and there are ranches on the Pease Rive between Quanah and Childress with Aoudad.

To the best of my knowledge, none of these populations are connected naturally. They all started individually, either intentionally or through escaped populations.

I've got a friend that guides for Top of Texas, he post a bunch of big rams and mule deer on Facebook. Rockin G ranch out of Turkey kills some big ones off the cap. Theres a bunch in palo duro and caprock canyon, here's one I killed a handful of years back while hog hunting, shot him from 10 feet away in the throat with a 308. Amazing he didn't see or wind me, we walked up on each other.

Attachments

• IMG_4625.jpeg
    IMG_4625.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 114
Thread jack here…
I've got a potential trip to El Paso area this coming March. I will be driving my 4x4 truck and equipped to camp. I'm looking to mix in a hunt but don't want to break the bank. Any ideas on a 3+ day or so Audad opportunity? Prices I'm seeing advertised are in the $4K - $5K plus range, that would be a no-go for me.

Thread jack here…
I've got a potential trip to El Paso area this coming March. I will be driving my 4x4 truck and equipped to camp. I'm looking to mix in a hunt but don't want to break the bank. Any ideas on a 3+ day or so Audad opportunity? Prices I'm seeing advertised are in the $4K - $5K plus range, that would be a no-go for me.
In a market where guys easily book up at $7500-$8500, I'd be wary of hunts priced below $4k.

The most expensive hunt is often a cheap hunt. Caveat Emptor friend.

Thread jack here…
Might be some cancellation hunts or high fence hunt deals out there if you start calling around. Otherwise ya unfortunately prices on free range aoudad hunts have doubled. In January 2020 my free range aoudad hunt cost me $2750. Same hunt with the same outfitter today is $4950. Great hunt but no longer willing to pay that when for just a bit more I can go to Africa or South America or something.

Great hunt but no longer willing to pay that when for just a bit more I can go to Africa or South America or something.
So few people can see outside the box like this.

I don't buy guided Western hunts anymore when I can hunt free range Stag in one of dozens of incredible European countries and shoot big fallow, Mouflon or boar while I'm at it.

The hunting culture there is something every hunter should consider experiencing.

Might be some cancellation hunts or high fence hunt deals out there if you start calling around. Otherwise ya unfortunately prices on free range aoudad hunts have doubled. In January 2020 my free range aoudad hunt cost me $2750. Same hunt with the same outfitter today is $4950. Great hunt but no longer willing to pay that when for just a bit more I can go to Africa or South America or something.
I recently did a cancellation hunt in far west TX. Current pricing is eye watering in this thriving economy.

I recently did a cancellation hunt in far west TX. Current pricing is eye watering in this thriving economy.
Kinda sad really that it's gotten that expensive. Still cheap compared to a $60k desert bighorn hunt but…..

Axis are also way expensive. $4,000 for a axis buck is way more than I'm willing to do.

Recent Posts