6.5 PRC bolt click?

spin-one

I just had my 6.5 PRC re-barreled. The first barrel started getting a bolt click after the 4th or 5th reloading using Hornady brass. I started using ADG brass with the second barrel and started getting a blot click after the 2nd reloading. I purchased my own SAMMI spec reamer and my smith used it on both barrels. I am mot running a hot load and it shows no pressure signs. I have researched this brass, bolt clicking issue and have read conflicting information about it. My question is, what is the best remedy to correct this problem?

Thanks
Scott

Here is a thread to address your problem. Hope that helps.

So I understand the problem being the Sammi spec is just a little too tight for harder brass like ADG. Is the solution to polish my exist die, police my chamber or special order a new die?

I will talk to my smith, what size dimension would you recommend between the die and the chamber? Will the existing brass that is clicking be corrected by polishing the chamber?

Thanks for your help

I just had my 6.5 PRC re-barreled. The first barrel started getting a bolt click after the 4th or 5th reloading using Hornady brass. I started using ADG brass with the second barrel and started getting a blot click after the 2nd reloading. I purchased my own SAMMI spec reamer and my smith used it on both barrels. I am mot running a hot load and it shows no pressure signs. I have researched this brass, bolt clicking issue and have read conflicting information about it. My question is, what is the best remedy to correct this problem?

Thanks
Scott
Have you carefully measured the shoulder bump? If your off a little bit with this case you're gonna get tight closing resized cases and clickers. Its almost better to push the shoulder back 0.003in. to put more pressure on the web area to resize. Its the only thing I've found to get a few more shots out of cases. I guess eventually the industry will come up with a fix for it.

The shoulder bump I feel is good, I have also started bumping it back from 0.002 to 0.003. There is no stiff bolt except for the very last part of the extraction were the click occurs.

The shoulder bump I feel is good, I have also started bumping it back from 0.002 to 0.003. There is no stiff bolt except for the very last part of the extraction were the click occurs.
Are trimming to 2.015ish? Take a dark marker and paint a case. Then slowly run it through the gun and look for rub marks,

The issue is the case base is likely .5315 after sizing. Saami chamber is designed for .5320. You need .5295 or around .002-003 for proper expansion.

MGM makes a chamber reamer that opens up web .002 and allows standard dies to work. Custom dies by whidden address the issue by undersizing the brass like a small base die does. Another option is to cut the top off a 6.5 PRC and shave the bottom of the die or a shell holder and remove some material to allow the die to size further down the web in a tighter area of the taper.

I talked to my smith today and he didn't think altering the chamber was the best solution. He felt a custom die was the best way to go. I use all Redding dies so I gave them a call this morning, they are not doing any custom work at this time because they are trying to catch up on their backlog of orders. I will contact Whidden and see what my options are. Thanks for all the good advice.