6.5 Prc 140 vldh or 140 eol

Rl-26, n565, h1000 are the 3 powders I've been using.
I have 2 lbs. H1000. Haven't started reloading yet. I'm still getting components up. Trying not to buy twice. I don't need the very best, but in a budget that I can still produce accurate loads. My time is not an issue. Thanks to all for your input.

Jimmy

Need y'all's advice. I'm having a rifle built and new to reloading. I'm in the process of getting compensates up. Iv never shot Berger's but that's what I want to try. So what gives between the two? Does one have better terminal performance that the other? Iv heard the vlds are harder to find a sweet spot if that's what you call it lol. I found the 140 vlds at Fun fur and Feathers and bought them. Did I make a mistake? Just for info I'm hunting Elk this fall and iv read about the 156 eol but 99% of my hunting is deer so I'm setting it up for that. Thanks for your advice!!!! This is my first post so if I messed up… forgive me lol I promise I have many more questions
The 156 EOLs will kill deer and elk equally good ;-). My go to 6.5 PRC is the 156 EOL over 58.2gr of H1000. I've used it for everything from Mountain Reedbok, Springbok, Coues Deer, Up to Sable and Eland. Its been so incredibly accurate it still amazes me.

In the different ogives Berger has sometimes the VLDs can be tough to work with. They usually shoot great really close to the lands or really far off the lands. The hybrid ogives are more forgiving. Like any bullet you have to test them in your rifle because every barrel is a snowflake.

Either of those bullets should be fine for deer or elk out to further than most should be shooting at them. I don't know offhand what Berger wants for impact velocity on those bullets but if you follow their recommendation on impact velocity you'll be fine. I'd say roughly 700yd for elk and a little further for deer will be close. That'll vary slightly depending on muzzle velocity, altitude, temperature but whatever it is stick with that. Download a free or cheap ballistics app once you get your muzzle velocity and it'll get you close. Verify the estimates the software gives you true the velocity numbers and you'll be ready to rock.
I see lots of folks using bullets outside the parameters they were designed for then blaming the bullet for poor performance. Stick with manufacturers impact velocity/energy parameters and you shouldn't have any issues. Let us know what you decide and hopefully a successful hunting story or two.

Any recome
Either of those bullets should be fine for deer or elk out to further than most should be shooting at them. I don't know offhand what Berger wants for impact velocity on those bullets but if you follow their recommendation on impact velocity you'll be fine. I'd say roughly 700yd for elk and a little further for deer will be close. That'll vary slightly depending on muzzle velocity, altitude, temperature but whatever it is stick with that. Download a free or cheap ballistics app once you get your muzzle velocity and it'll get you close. Verify the estimates the software gives you true the velocity numbers and you'll be ready to rock.
I see lots of folks using bullets outside the parameters they were designed for then blaming the bullet for poor performance. Stick with manufacturers impact velocity/energy parameters and you shouldn't have any issues. Let us know what you decide and hopefully a successful hunting story or two.
Any recommendations on the ballistics app?

Strelok I've used for years, it's always been good for me. I got it when I first started out and it really helped to visualize holdover. Works in moa or mil you can change all sorts of variables

Does anyone use LR primers or is the LRM primers better suited for the 6.5 Prc. I have some CCI BR2 primes that I could swap out with a friend for the LRM primers. Or should I try both to see what works better.
In all my short mags I shoot the CCI BR2s. I have never needed mag primers. Some say they are good in really cold weather.

What is it that you like over the others, having used them.
It is super accurate. I have made first round hits out past 1500 with every rifle I have stored. I definitely cannot say the same for Streloc or Streloc Pro. Applied Ballistics is good, but Shooter is easier to use.