6.5 PRC - RE16 - 124 Hammer

Varmint Hunter

I just started with RE16 and the 124 Hammer bullet in my 23.5 Proof barreled 6.5 PRC rifle. I worked up to 44.9gr but only got 3,049 ft/sec. I'm looking to get much closer to 3,200 ft/sec.

Anyone have experience with this combination?

We have only used rl26 in the prc. 3200 fps is where we have topped out. Are you finding pressure? Rl16 seems a bit fast?
No pressure yet. I worked up to 44.9gr on a single day and I'm ready to increase incrementally again but was looking for advice. I can exceed 3,200 ft/sec with RE26 but groups were about 3" @ 400yds IIRC. I'd like them to stay under 2" if possible.

I also tried 4831sc but didn't get acceptable groups with that powder either.

So you are under moa but not tight enough. Here is a dumb question. Is the rifle capable of sub half moa?

Did you mess with seating depth and or diff primers?
If you will use n165 h1000 rl 26 rl 23 or slower powders than rl 16 you get a better case fill and better accuracy r16 is too fast

I used RL-16 in my PRC with the 130 AB and the 140 Barnes match burner. I cant find the 130 AB notes but worked up to 53.5 with the 140 MB. the faster powder actually worked better and burned cleaner than slower powders because I was able to hit higher working pressures before running out of case volume getting a better burn and less fouling. RL-16 isn't to slow it is close to H4350 which Hornady lists as an option

So you are under moa but not tight enough. Here is a dumb question. Is the rifle capable of sub half moa?

Did you mess with seating depth and or diff primers?
The rifles shoots sub .5moa @ 400yds fairly often. I've gotten the Hammers to shoot that good in other rifles but sometimes it just takes some experimentation.

I tried a few different seating depths with varying results and I switched from Fed 210M primers to Fed 215M primers.

Just for the heck of it I loaded a few of the 124s with a heavier charge of RE16 and a few with Retumbo which probably has too slow of a burn rate but it fits with a little compression.

Here's an example of what the rifle can do when the moon and the stars line up. :>)

1619899299372.png

Last edited:
The rifles shoots sub .5moa @ 400yds fairly often. I've gotten the Hammers to shoot that good in other rifles but sometimes it just takes some experimentation.

I tried a few different seating depths with varying results and I switched from Fed 210M primers to Fed 215M primers.

Just for the heck of it I loaded a few of the 124s with a heavier charge of RE16 and a few with Retumbo which probably has too slow of a burn rate but it fits with a little compression.

Here's an example of the rifle can do when the moon and the stars line up. :>)

View attachment 271584

Im getting 3300 fps out of 58.3 grs N165 could go more cci 250 124 gr hammers 26 in proof my 25 in Bartlein with 131 gr hammers 57.3 grs N165 3180fps looks like the burn rate is like rl23 peronally I think if your using Rl16 you would do good with the 123 gr absolutes I'm getting one hole groups at a 100 yds your acc at 400 is awesome good shooting

Im getting 3300 fps out of 58.3 grs N165 could go more cci 250 124 gr hammers 26 in proof my 25 in Bartlein with 131 gr hammers 57.3 grs N165 3180fps looks like the burn rate is like rl23 peronally I think if your using Rl16 you would do good with the 123 gr absolutes I'm getting one hole groups at a 100 yds your acc at 400 is awesome good shooting
After looking at your target something isnt adding up your saying rl16 but you have Rl 26 written on the target

After looking at your target something isnt adding up your saying rl16 but you have Rl 26 written on the target
The rifle shoots quite well with RE26. However RE26 and the 124 Hammer bullet just wasn't a good combo. H4831 could have been a good combo too but that didn't pan out either.

With a little luck I'll get to the club tomorrow and see what the RE16 load and the Retumbo load produces.

FWIW - the target above was with bullets I just purchased from Deputy819. It was literally the first three rounds fired with that bullet.

The rifle shoots quite well with RE26. However RE26 and the 124 Hammer bullet just wasn't a good combo. H4831 could have been a good combo too but that didn't pan out either.

With a little luck I'll get to the club tomorrow and see what the RE16 load and the Retumbo load produces.

FWIW - the target above was with bullets I just purchased from Deputy819. It was literally the first three rounds fired with that bullet.
With thePrc case capacity I think you will be better off with something slower than rl16 thats too fast from everything I studied and experienced loading the prc if it works it works good luck