6.5 prc analyzed

Amazes me how someone can have the opinion that people are stupid because they like something. I get it you don't like the PRC or the Creedmoor, LOTS of people do though. I'll shoot my factory rifle with factory ammo into 5inch groups at 900 yards and be happy while all the haters whine about the hype
I never said people were stupid because they like something, I said they were stupid for falling for the hype, and peer pressure trends to try to be cool.

I ordered a 6.5 PRC precisely because of Hornady's marketing hype. I didn't get a 6.5 cm because I shoot two .260 rems and couldn't see a reason to based on published ballistics. Comparing the numbers between all 6.5's and considering my purpose for the rifle, I didn't get concerned about the 150 fps I was giving up to a belted cartridge or wildcat. I'm hoping the herd stampedes to the PRC, ensuring quality cheap factory ammo for the foreseeable future since my kids will end up with the rifle (I reload, they don't). My decision included many other factors as well, but in my case I chose the PRC on its relative merits.

The 6.5 PRC or 270 WSM and the like is a conversation I've had with quite a few people over the last several months. People who don't reload like the idea of the 6.5 but most don't know the COAL ramifications as described in the video. I built a 6.5 SAUM and used a savage action as their mags are longer and thus wouldn't require modifications. The only thing keeping me from the SS and SSTs are the fact that you have to spend hundreds more on custom dies. Having recently done a 6 Dasher build, I don't mind the case forming process but most do not.

I'm have a 6.5 PRC build in the process right now. It was delayed because I canceled the original build on a S/A, bought a Stiller Predator medium action, and sent it to the smith. I believe it can reach it's potential in the medium action. I back calculated ~ 88 thou of bullet bearing area is buried in the case below shoulder/neck on Hornady's factory ammo. I don't shoot any factory ammo and believe i'm going to get superior results with my loads. Even handicapped in a S/A it shoots lights out @ ~ 3150 FPS.

All that being said I would have went with a Sherman cartridge if I had known about it. My next build will be on a Sherman. I hardly ever watch TV & just started reading the shooting forums on the Internet. I would never have found out about the Sherman cartridges without the forums. I thank Rich for the feedback he gave me on them. I believe he will be there to offer advice & support should you go with a Sherman.

Even though I wouldn't have mine built on a S/A doesn't mean it doesn't work well for some. People who are only interested in performance & accuracy & also don't want to reload it is a viable option. I always look for maximum efficiency from a cartridge. I recognize not all do and they can be very happy with the results they are getting on S/As. The S/As that are working best are having a moon shape cut out of the front of the action feed port & the feed lip on the mags slightly modified.

Last edited:
When comparing the 6.5 PRC with cartridges like the 6.5-06, 6.5 Rem mag., & 6.5x284 your looking at the same velocity with equal bullets & Bbl. lengths . All of these before mentioned rounds were performing PRC ballistics long ago. It's not that the PRC is not a good round , which it is. It's that this level of performance has been around for decades. No game animal when hit knows the difference between any of these rounds. The difference lies in the mind of the beholder.

When comparing the 6.5 PRC with cartridges like the 6.5-06, 6.5 Rem mag., & 6.5x284 your looking at the same velocity with equal bullets & Bbl. lengths . All of these before mentioned rounds were performing PRC ballistics long ago. It's not that the PRC is not a good round , which it is. It's that this level of performance has been around for decades. No game animal when hit knows the difference between any of these rounds. The difference lies in the mind of the beholder.

Hespco, you are correct. I believe the reason the PRC will succeed is that major ammo manufacturers will not manufacture for the 6.5x284 because there are many variations and a round could be chambered in the wrong cartridge causing damage. Liability issue. They are and will load for the PRC because it will not fit into other cartridges. I think that is why it was developed. I think the PRC may actually outperform the 6.5-06 from my last look at reloading library.

There are cases that can do it yes, but are they commercially loaded and readily available? The 6.5x284 yes, but there are many different versions of the reamers floating around which all don't work well with lapua brass. The prc was designed to duplicate 6.5x284 performance, without a rebated rim, that can be run in a short action. It has cheap quality ammo available as well. I'm not a Hornady fan, at all. But they're doing somethings right with the prc. Will I own one? No as my 6.5 saum surpass and I handload. But for average Joe who don't handload, or who does, rebarrel a Tikka, or buy a sauer 100, Montana Rifle Co or run it on a win 70 wsm action. They'll be long enough to use most the saami freebore.

During WW 11 Elmer Keith came up with an innovative concept to significantly boost velocity of the 50 BMG. A concept that can be used in any cartridge though costly. He threaded the primer flash hole inside the case. Then a threaded brass tube was screwed into the flash hole. The tube was long enough so as to ignite the powder at the top of the powder column. When fired the expanding gases held the unburned powder in the case burning back toward the base. Not allowing the powder to move into the barrel with the bullet reduced mass moving down the barrel . Therefore more powder could be added producing more expanding gas & a higher safe velocity.

I mention this because I don't see any significant velocity increases because of case shape. The laws of basic physics control pressure. Given the internal capacity of our brass cases, when you burn a fixed amount of powder a fixed amount of expanding gases are created pushing a projectile of what ever weight /cal to a fixed velocity all things being equal. Any difference in velocity between the 6.5-06.6.5 Rem mag, 6.5x284 & the 6.5 PRC is insignificant in the hunting field. A difference of 100fps makes so slight a difference in trajectory it means nothing.
I'm just an old guy here in SW Colorado who has been shooting 6.5's since 1964. I have read the accounts of the old masters like "Karamojo Bell" & his exploits in Africa using the 6.5x54MS. He took numerous elephants with it using 160 RN bullets at barely 2300fps. These bullets would penetrate 22 to 24" of elephant skull , then into brain. He also took over 400 head of every size of African plains game, averaging 1 1/2 shots per animal. Meaning many were taken with one shot. Sorry to go on so. Yes I am prejudice when it comes to the 6.5 no matter what case is behind it. My old 6.5x308 wildcat ( aka 260 Rem ) I built long before the 260 Rem showed up, 6.5x55, 6-5-06, & 264mags. have all performed perfectly for me taking numerous deer & elk over the years. . My personal preference is my 6.5-06. I reload every thing & it is an inexpensive to reload well performing round. You always hear about BC. Sensational Density ( SD ) is also a factor that makes the 6.5 excel. This means mass in line. The more mass in line means retained momentum as the bullet holds together better & deep penetration.

I see no down side to what ever 6.5 you prefer . They all work splendidly. It's about fun & personal satisfaction. Enjoy the 6.5!!!!!

Last edited:
Good comments. Everyone seems to agree that 150 fps is relatively insignificant in normal hunting scenarios unless it's a Hornady cartridge. Buy a 6.5 cm or prc and you're ballistically incompetent. Why aren't there similar posts about Weatherby or Nosler cartridges and their supporters? I believe both these companies have promoted their brainchild loadings with considerable hype also.

Good comments. Everyone seems to agree that 150 fps is relatively insignificant in normal hunting scenarios unless it's a Hornady cartridge. Buy a 6.5 cm or prc and you're ballistically incompetent. Why aren't there similar posts about Weatherby or Nosler cartridges and their supporters? I believe both these companies have promoted their brainchild loadings with considerable hype also.
Personal opinion that is going to **** a lot of folks off, but it's simply my opinion, whether someone else likes it or agrees with it, is their problem.

I've said for years Weatherby's designs were scientifically outdated with the rounded shoulder, excessive freebore, and concept of "just stuff more powder behind it, and it will go faster". I don't hate them, I just think they're archaic in modern times, and there's better designs out there.

The Nosler cartridges, while basically being ballistic copycats, do actually serve a legit purpose that was a problem... They now produce ballistics of big magnums in a shorter package that actually fits in standard long action receivers without modification. Their real-world ballistics are not inflated, but their numbers in their manual seems to be pushing the Nosler at full-potential while downloading leading competitor cartridges of similar real-world ballistics...I have noticed this. Nosler also got caught inflating BC's of their bullets.

My point to this is, if we really want to nit-pick, we can find something to bitch about with every manufacturer. They've all done stupid things. Hornady just seems to wholeheartedly believe their own hype. Claiming the 6.5CM was ballistically equal to a .300WM. And now releasing the .300 PRC, as if it's something brand new, when it's nothing more than a beltless .300WM with equal ballistics in a different case.

Last edited:
I had the itch to build a 6.5-284 for years. I waited long enough for the 6.5 PRC to come out and i'm glad I did. I don't reload as of yet and $50+ a box for 6.5-284 factory ammo would have made it hard to shoot on a regular basis. I bought 10 boxes of 6.5 PRC ammo the other day for $29 a box, ended up around $31.50 a box with shipping. I know that is still much more than it cost a guy who reloads his own, but for high performing ammo, I think that's decent. The flyer in the pic of the 5 shot group at 100 yards was the clean bore shot. I'm getting about 2980 fps with a 24" proof barrel.
IMG_0340.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG

I know I should start reloading my own, and hope to soon. Hopefully by the time I shoot out this barrel, I will be. If so, I'd like to re-barrel in Rich's 6.5 SS or SST, would like to get the 147 ELD-M to 3000 fps in a 24" barrel.

I had the itch to build a 6.5-284 for years. I waited long enough for the 6.5 PRC to come out and i'm glad I did. I don't reload as of yet and $50+ a box for 6.5-284 factory ammo would have made it hard to shoot on a regular basis. I bought 10 boxes of 6.5 PRC ammo the other day for $29 a box, ended up around $31.50 a box with shipping. I know that is still much more than it cost a guy who reloads his own, but for high performing ammo, I think that's decent. The flyer in the pic of the 5 shot group at 100 yards was the clean bore shot. I'm getting about 2980 fps with a 24" proof barrel.View attachment 127408 View attachment 127409
I know I should start reloading my own, and hope to soon. Hopefully by the time I shoot out this barrel, I will be. If so, I'd like to re-barrel in Rich's 6.5 SS or SST, would like to get the 147 ELD-M to 3000 fps in a 24" barrel.
$1.60/shot is pretty good!
"Shooting out" a barrel, ain't as easy as I or other's may have made it sound, it does take a while?! Even with a Shilen barrel and the 7STW, it was years before it finally gave up the ghost, accuracy wise. In the end, it wasn't all bad, it yielded a lot of useful data that I used for the new barrel in 28 Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.