6.5 prc

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by timmymic, Aug 28, 2018.

1. timmymic

timmymic Well-Known Member

Reading up on the 6.5 prc I’m finding a lot of references to fits well in most short actions... any experience with running the prc in a short action? What bullet weights can it be ran in short action?

2. RevJim

RevJim Well-Known Member

I thought it was "designed" for a short action, i.e. like the Creedmoor?

3. elkaholic

elkaholic Well-Known Member

The PRC has the exact same problems as most so called short action rounds. The neck/shoulder junction is way too far forward so the bullet has to be buried in the case quite a ways so that it will fit in the magazine. The extra case capacity that it has is taken up by the bullet, so is essentially wasted space! The only way to get the performance out of it is single feed with a longer throat, or build it on a longer action/mag combo.

Trnelson, Mike 338 and kiwikid like this.
  4. kiwikid

kiwikid Well-Known Member

Sauer have decided to chamber their model 100 in 6.5 PRC. They list it with the magnums which backs up what elkaholic has said above.

5. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

The
    It was designed for a short action. It is a little longer than a Creedmoor, it is real close to the same length as a 308 Winchester.

jdrigel likes this.