6.5 prc

timmymic

Reading up on the 6.5 prc I'm finding a lot of references to fits well in most short actions... any experience with running the prc in a short action? What bullet weights can it be ran in short action?

The PRC has the exact same problems as most so called short action rounds. The neck/shoulder junction is way too far forward so the bullet has to be buried in the case quite a ways so that it will fit in the magazine. The extra case capacity that it has is taken up by the bullet, so is essentially wasted space! The only way to get the performance out of it is single feed with a longer throat, or build it on a longer action/mag combo.

Sauer have decided to chamber their model 100 in 6.5 PRC. They list it with the magnums which backs up what elkaholic has said above.

The
I thought it was "designed" for a short action, i.e. like the Creedmoor?
It was designed for a short action. It is a little longer than a Creedmoor, it is real close to the same length as a 308 Winchester.

Would the 6.5 PRC fit into a Remington Model Seven that is currently a 7 SAUM?

Factory ammo will not fit into a factory mag box. The factory ammo is 2.950". My factory 700s are 2.850". The second part of that is just because it will fit does not mean it will feed. It needs a little room.

I have a 700 clone and use accurate strapless mags. 2.95" feeds fine

If it were me I would Tikka with "long action" mags on a budget or a Defiance medium if wanting full custom. Both of mine on long action switch barrels.

Just had my Win 70 300wsm rebuilt to a 6.5prc.. feeds great, only shot it once so far. To cold up here in ND. Proof carbon barrel, H&S varmit stick, burris eliminater 3. 11# rifle.. ouch