6.5 prc analyzed

Hmm on his 3rd barrel already.

He's replacing them at about 1100 rounds, but they're still holding just over .5 MOA. This is the same barrel life you'll see from other cases with similar ballistics when shot in the same conditions. The 6.5x284, 6-'06 and the other 6.5 short mags all have pretty limited barrel life when run hard.

I torched a 6.5x338 RUM Improved barrel in about 200 rounds by running it hard while working up baseline load data. My other one (identical barrel) is at 600+ and still shooting well because I've been much nicer to it.

As fat as I know, PRS/NRL, aren't worried about chasing the lands, to get the most from the barrel, when they just get another new barrel for Max accuracy and that's why a "short action" works for that form of shooting. Like the vid says, it's "barely" a short action and that's where you would run into an issue of a short blind magazine or even a AICS mag, that the round won't fit, if chasing lands. I myself am not too concerned with barrel wear, as it's also a consumable item.

As fat as I know, PRS/NRL, aren't worried about chasing the lands, to get the most from the barrel, when they just get another new barrel for Max accuracy and that's why a "short action" works for that form of shooting. Like the vid says, it's "barely" a short action and that's where you would run into an issue of a short blind magazine or even a AICS mag, that the round won't fit, if chasing lands. I myself am not too concerned with barrel wear, as it's also a consumable item.

Now that you mention it, you're right, I don't know any PRS/NRL guys who chase the lands in the guns. They just run it until the throat is gone then chamber up another barrel. The cost of a new barrel is pretty minimal compared to the cost of ammo/components needed to burn that barrel out most of the time.

ok, realize this is a bit of an old thread to bump, but looking for advice.

I had a 6.5PRC Christensen that I ended up selling as I didn't like the action. Having a custom rifle built now and initially planned to go 6.5SS. But I'm wondering if I wouldn't just be better off with 6.5PRC. Main reason? I've zero experience with reloading.

I don't need the rifle to do everything, I already have a 300WM for big game, just looking for a more mid-size game rifle. The draw with 6.5PRC isn't ballistics as much as it is just having factory loaded ammo options.

I do already have a Forster Co-Ax and all other tools since I had planned to reload 6.5CM . With that though, I found factory ammo shooting 1/2 MOA so figured I'd save my time and just buy factory ammo.

The cost to get going with the 6.5SS would just be the $240 for the die set. The 6.5SS brass seems in line cost wise with ADG 6.5PRC. But its more the process & time commitment of reloading and fears of blowing up my gun that I'm worried about. Is the 6.5SS worth the effort vs 6.5 PRC factory loads when I won't be chasing velocity or different bullet weights?

Last edited:
If you go 6.5 SS, you will have to hand load. If you go 6.5 PRC, you will have factory ammunition available.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one if you hand load, but if you don't, your only choice is 6.5 PRC.

With not having ever hand loaded, and with already being pressed for time, seems I may be well suited with just the 6.5PRC and factory ammo

With not having ever hand loaded, and with already being pressed for time, seems I may be well suited with just the 6.5PRC and factory ammo
Don't expect tight deviation. My buds BadRock northfork chassis rifle from defiance has a 26" tube, ran 10 rounds over the labradar, and es was 57, SD 14 not too good. I just ordered a Tikka prefit carbon from standalone armory 24, 6.5 prc to try out. They're a noname but have saw good things from their carbon ar barrels. It was 650$ for the complete chamber/tenon/muzzle are cut for install. Cheap......we'll see how they shoot.

Don't expect tight deviation. My buds BadRock northfork chassis rifle from defiance has a 26" tube, ran 10 rounds over the labradar, and es was 57, SD 14 not too good. I just ordered a Tikka prefit carbon from standalone armory 24, 6.5 prc to try out. They're a noname but have saw good things from their carbon ar barrels. It was 650$ for the complete chamber/tenon/muzzle are cut for install. Cheap......we'll see how they shoot.

Any info on standalone armory? Can't find anything about them on the net.

Any info on standalone armory? Can't find anything about them on the net.
www.Standalonebarrels.com is their website, if you're on Facebook, the owner's name is Jacob Robbins. He's getting his blanks from the same company that makes the barrels for black hole weaponry aka Columbia River arms, these are some the better AR barrels on the market. He should be shipping this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts