6.5 prc analyzed

So the wsm, saum cases arent short action either? They're longer than the prc. Only thing about the prc is the long free bore for a short action cartridge. Main reason for that, the Hornady eld-m and eld-x like a lot of jump.

That was a great video on the new 6.5 PRC and clearly shows the positives and negatives.
It also shows why the 6.5 SST was designed and is so much Superior to the PRC. Left is the prc with a 147 ELDM loaded to the factory 2.945" spec and right is the 6.5 SST loaded to 2.910".
It clearly shows how much case capacity is taken up by the bullet in the prc and how little is taken by the same bullet in the SST at an even shorter coal.
No mystery why the sst will outrun it by a bunch and fit in most actions easily. The short free bore reamer for the sst will
IMG_20190319_132021705.jpg
even fit in the STD Remmy 2.8" mag box and still outrun the PRC.

So the wsm, saum cases arent short action either? They're longer than the prc. Only thing about the prc is the long free bore for a short action cartridge. Main reason for that, the Hornady eld-m and eld-x like a lot of jump.
Nope. With anything seated longer than SAAMI spec, it is basically useless in a short-action unless being loaded and unloaded and shot as a single-shot rifle.

With new ADG 6.5 SAUM brass being available, and Rich selling 6.5 SS brass pre-formed ready for final-forming, the 6.5 PRC is basically dead already.

...the 6.5 PRC is basically dead already.

I don't own a prc, nor do I intend to.

If you honestly believe there are more people seeking out information on cartridges like the SST vs buying the latest Hornady hype then you need to get out of the house more. I already know 3 guys that have bought the PRC hype.

If you honestly believe there are more people seeking out information on cartridges like the SST vs buying the latest Hornady hype then you need to get out of the house more. I already know 3 guys that have bought the PRC hype.
What's your opinion on the sst?

The more times you repeat a lie, the more believe it's true. Hornady's new marketing team slogan. ;)

And yes, 90% of the world is stupid...So I'm sure they do believe the hype.

Last edited:

It's what Remington should have done 15yrs ago and they wouldn't be laying off people right now.

I built my first 6.5 saum in 2010 before GA made it popular. If I hadn't already got into that then I would have gone the SS route.

I have 2x 6.5 saum, and soon to have a 257 saum. I like its efficiency and performance adg brass is a big plus. Here's what the 6.5 prc has going for it, 6.5x284 and almost 6.5 saum performance in a saami standardized short action layout that has quality CHEAP ammo available over the counter. I personally think it will succeed, not creedmoor takeover but it'll do well enough with Hornady, Ruger, GAP, and the internet/TV/gunwerks commandos saying it's the best thing ever. A friend of mine picked up a sauer 100 in 6.5 prc, swapped out bolt stops and.mags ala Tikka style, and can now load as long as he wants, but guess what, the eld-m and eld-x ammo both shoot **** near half moa, sometimes better, with acceptable ES for 800y which is where a 6.5 bullet in 6.5# gun should probably draw the line anyway. Hate all you want, but there is no mass commercially loaded round that pushes the performance thise case does. Yes the 264wm beats it by a bit, but how often do you see quality ammo for that? 6.5x284 runs with it, but nosler ammo for it is 60$ a box. 6.5 rem mag is gone, 6.5x68S nowhere, 6.5 saum, SS, SST, all wild cats, can't get ammo but from say maybe copper creek MAYBE. It fills a nitch and does it fairly well. The 300prc however is trying to fill a nitch that isn't there. 300wm,300wby,30Nosler,300Rum,300 norma all do it, or better and ammo is all over the place. That cartridge will fail quickly I feel, or at least it should.

Do you own a creedmoor?

I'm on highdrums team on this one. There are certainly better things under the sun for sure but for factory rifles with factory loaded ammo with a SAAMI spec .. it's hard to beat. Plus, their chamber dimensions per SAAMI website on the creedmoors and 6.5 and 300 PRC's are a lions share of what makes all those factory rifles shoot factory ammo so well. A properly designed chamber around a properly designed case.

When I was at the local Sportmans, getting the new Hodgdon manuel, I picked up a Hornady 6.5 PRC modified case, to see what all the "hype" is? I'm looking for REAL numbers anywhere and everywhere, but I ain't seeing them, when compared to my 6.5X284 Norma with less powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.