6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

I can't find 8208 anywhere.
Yeah, I think I got lucky finding when I did. Seems like it's one of those that's not getting made right now.

I also ended up with 500 pieces (or maybe less, I'm not sure) of Starline brass that I picked up from Midway shortly after I got my rifle too. I don't even have that many bullets. Starline has been good to me in pistol and I even have some for my Creedmoor.

Yeah, I think I got lucky finding when I did. Seems like it's one of those that's not getting made right now.

I also ended up with 500 pieces (or maybe less, I'm not sure) of Starline brass that I picked up from Midway shortly after I got my rifle too. I don't even have that many bullets. Starline has been good to me in pistol and I even have some for my Creedmoor.
I like Starline a lot. Just that anyone who sells it for Grendel wants a small fortune. I read up on PPU and the newer stuff seems to be pretty good. May have to ream the pockets a little.

Yep, You need to work up your load again. But they work fine. I use CCI 450 in my Grendel. Small rifle magnum. If magnum primers is all you can get, use them.
Thanks Bill. I have some LRP, but all they had at the store was large magnum primers. Had thought about giving them a try, specifically on my reduced 270 loads.

Here's one for folks, completely different subject. Anyone use large magnum primers in place of large rifle primers?
It's a pretty normal thing to substitute in a magnum primer for a standard. When you do you will want to reduce your charge a couple of grains from a known safe in your weapon load and work back up.

I agree but a Grendel is starting at the muzzle slower than a lot of traditional Partition harvest impact velocities.
Possibly so but isn't it starting at slower than almost all bullet harvest impact velocities?

I can't imagine a Partition not opening up at almost any velocity faster than a handgun can deliver.

If they open up in a coyote and exit with a fist size hole I can't imagine them not opening up on almost any game at almost any velocity.

Possibly so but isn't it starting at slower than almost all bullet harvest impact velocities?

I can't imagine a Partition not opening up at almost any velocity faster than a handgun can deliver.

If they open up in a coyote and exit with a fist size hole I can't imagine them not opening up on almost any game at almost any velocity.
Nosler Partition.jpg

Sooooo..... In summary it appears that since the 6.5 Grendel can launch a Nosler 125gr Partition at about 2400fps that the 6.5 Grendel is fully capable of delivering a lethal blow at short to moderate range with said Partition. Nuff said???

Oh... And one more thing... Nosler makes a 100gr Partition for the 6.5 caliber and the 6.5 Grendel can launch that one at upwards of 2700fps... So that is simply that....

I have been racking up a healthy body count with my Grendel. WT Pronghorn, Aoudad rams and ewes and a bunch of pigs. All of it was w Hornady SST. If you could find the Nosler equivalent, I'd say try it!

My Grendel did not shoot the 129 ABLR very fast. I abandoned it for the123 SST.

I'm very impressed w the Grendel. I'm a big Nosler fan, but in this instance, I didn't see any Nosler bullet, in stock, that worked.
Absolutely agree. The 123 SST with 28.3gr of TAC in my 20" AR is a sledgehammer on WT deer inside of 100 yds. Better still in the Howa mini bolt action. Very accurate too. Haven't tried it on 300lb SC hogs. The 6.5 Creedmoor takes care of them.

There are many factor options that work wonderful. I use the Hornaday SST's. Have Kildair at 50 yards no problem. Excellent penetration and create a heck of a cavity. I built Mike Randall off an AR platform with an 18 inch barrel. I should have suppressed and it is a tack driver.

Mine is a PSA upper and Stag lower. 20" stainless heavy barrel. I was getting good groups from Nosler Partitions, but the Benchmark would not cycle at mid-load. I am going to test max loads. I am also loading up some Speer Gold Dots with Pro Varmint for this weekend to see how they work. Supposed to be a great combo. Might try another powder as well. TAC or BL-C(2).