6.5 Grendel Nosler Bullet Choice - Deer Hunting

Looking at loading the Speer Gold Dots Rosebud sent me. The powders I have on hand listed are

Alliant Power Pro 2000 MR
Varget
IMR 4895

Looking at speed, the Alliant looks like a good choice. Had another kind gentleman send that to me but I only have maybe 2/3 of a pound.

Thoughts? I don't want to waste powder.

I will say this, the reloading community has been like no other. I have had folks help me out. Send or sell me things they had that they don't use anymore. Just a bunch of kind folks.

In my AR Grendels the slower powders tend to operate/cycle better than the faster powders, I would try the Varget or the IMR4895. I haven't used Alliant Power Pro 2000 MR so I can't offer an opinion.

I read your previous post about Benchmark not cycling in your rifle. What exactly was happening?

These are on the slow side for a Grendel. But Varget will most likely get the best accuracy. But Alliant Power Pro Varmit is available in most places. It is around here. Should get you mid 2400 FPS. Using the 120 GD

Yeah, I have a fixed gas block. I will try the higher Benchmark loads and also try H335.
Make sure your gas block is aligned correctly, if adj open it to max, is your spring is correct? I think it's 28 coils for carbine and 30 for a rifle(look it up). Always start with a regular buffer and spring. Then try a H2 buffer if you want. Look at where the bass is ejected to. You want 2 to 3 oclock. More forward is over gased and 4 to 6 o'clock is under gased. Even a minimum load should cycle the weapon. So going to a higher charge weight is the wrong answer, you need to address the cycling issue first.
Any load over 2450 fps, <15 fps ES, and good moa is a winner. I've shot pretty much everything but AR comp and only cfe223 got over 2500 fps from a 20" barrel.
I've tried H335, 8202, TAC, A2520, benchmark, Leveraction, Varget, and cfe223, all with a 123 grs-smk's/sst/Nos CC's and a little with 130 gr otm's. I was just banging steel, not hunting with my 6.5 Grendel. For hunting and shooting under 400 yards, I'd use 8208 and a 120 Nos bt. Start at mag length, find the charge weight with a 1 or 2 shot ladder test, find a speed node(SN), and then load that weight and test seating depths to find the Accuracy Node/AN.
But am trying some n133 I just got, soon, am gonna throw together another Grendel for just hunting. I'll say it again, Benchmark went from ok to over pressure fast. So I gave it a pass. H335 would be OK to, and about as fast as 8208, and as temp stable, about.
Another thing, always check/trim your 6.5 Grendel brass. It stretches a lot. I've had to "mortar" a AR to unstick a stuck live round on more then one occasion. Mostly others while rso'ing. I learned the first time. I over trim by 5-10 thou usually and can get more then one firings in all other calibers, mostly bolt guns. Just checking a few cases before loading. Not with a AR 6.5 Grendel, check every round, every time. I've found that locking a caliber at the max case length and passing every case through it stops the issue of stuck cases.
I'll let you know if I find N133 to be magical. I'll be testing it and 8208 side by side. With 120 bt, when they come available.

I'm finishing up my last couple boxes of Hornady black 123 gr. When I'm done with that, I'll be switching to the 85 gr hammer. It's awesome out of my 6.5 creed bolt gun. Highly recommend

I'm finishing up my last couple boxes of Hornady black 123 gr. When I'm done with that, I'll be switching to the 85 gr hammer. It's awesome out of my 6.5 creed bolt gun. Highly recommend
85 Hammer Hunter, 32.9 grains of power pro varmit. 24 inch barrel in CZ 527. Low of 2997 high of 3017. No pressure issues whatsoever. Most accurate load I've ever had in the CZ. Absolute deer, pronghorn killer. I'm 65 thousands off touching the lands. Acc. 2520 will do this as well.but I can't remember the load, sorry.

Last edited:
Well, I got some new powder to try and some on the way. Went to a neurologist appt in the next county and dropped into a small gun shop. Got some TAC, BL-C(2), A4064 and CCI small rifle primers. Also have some Alliant Power Pro Varmint on the way from a fellow Air Force veteran. Time to do some testing. Thanks all.

Well, I got some new powder to try and some on the way. Went to a neurologist appt in the next county and dropped into a small gun shop. Got some TAC, BL-C(2), A4064 and CCI small rifle primers. Also have some Alliant Power Pro Varmint on the way from a fellow Air Force veteran. Time to do some testing. Thanks all.
I know I've ended up with 4lbs of XBR8208 for my Grendel. Haven't had much time to figure it out yet. That's where I ended up searching forums and every other thing trying to figure out what I needed for it.

Recent Posts