6.5 Grendel hunting bullet

I have killed a boat load of deer and pigs with my auto shooting the 100gr nosler ballistic tip. 8208xbr, h335, and vvn135 have been my go to powders

I've shot the most stuff with the 123 SST, then 130 grain Berger. I didn't get the performance I wanted but felt the one failure I had the tip was maybe not opened. I had solid results Leigh 110 grain controlled bullets…the grendel shines with 120 and less—get the velocity up and still plenty of BC to reach out to sane distance with the little round

What's Your GUYs Opinions of the 100 gr Nosler Partition bullet out of the Grendel at 2700 fps or so ? I think its should open up Well - Expand and still penetrate good !
Whats NOT to like ?
I believe the 100 NP will do just fine in the Grendel. The front half of the bullet is pretty soft.

I'm a big fan of 123 gn SSTs, they are devastating on hogs. We took out the Grendel (123 SST), Creedmore (123 SST) and PRC (143 ELDX) hog hunting and I was really impressed how the Grendel kept up. With that said, the Grendel was the only one we had to use follow up shots with, the Creed and PRC dropped them one shot. All shots were taken on moving animals so none of the shots were the perfect 2 inches behind the ear.

I'm a big fan of 123 gn SSTs, they are devastating on hogs. We took out the Grendel (123 SST), Creedmore (123 SST) and PRC (143 ELDX) hog hunting and I was really impressed how the Grendel kept up. With that said, the Grendel was the only one we had to use follow up shots with, the Creed and PRC dropped them one shot. All shots were taken on moving animals so none of the shots were the perfect 2 inches behind the ear.
The 97 or 99 gr Hammer would be my choice , look at the velocity gain . The performance of the hammer bullet 300 yds and in with that bullet in the Grendel , will be a game changer.

The 97 or 99 gr Hammer would be my choice , look at the velocity gain . The performance of the hammer bullet 300 yds and in with that bullet in the Grendel , will be a game changer.
I'd need a failure of some sort to get away from the SSTs. I've played around with Barnes TTSX and Lehigh, but never got the performance I had out of the SST. I know the Hammers are well loved around these parts, but I have a lot of trust in SSTs right now.

I'd need a failure of some sort to get away from the SSTs. I've played around with Barnes TTSX and Lehigh, but never got the performance I had out of the SST. I know the Hammers are well loved around these parts, but I have a lot of trust in SSTs right now.
Try the hammers once you will be hooked.
Thanks be tried quite a few and yes I got kills but nothing like the hammers. Softer targets the sst works great and is a good bullet. But The hammers are something special in the Grendel.
If interested pm my I'll give you a load that you can get tuned with several shots then go take a few hogs. Everyone I've hunted with since switching to them is now running g them in the Grendel.
It's the combo I believe of great speed yet a tough enough bullet to still bust through both shoulders if hogs are running.

Keep in mind I did truly like my sst and still have a soft spot for them. I am juts able to take game I would not try with the sst.
If juts for hogs who cares really?
I built a 6.5 Grendel a couple of yrs ago the 123 gr SST and 100 gr Barnes are great bullets but I'm not waisting any more time with those when I can pick up the velocity and terminal performance of the lighter Hammer bullets . The Hammer bullets will make that little round perform way above it's pay grade.

The energy equation is the problem and going with an even lighter bullet won't solve that issue.

Sectional density and momentum work together for deep penetration but you really have to pour the gas to lighter bullets just to make up for the loss of energy.

Even with that though, the lighter bullets lack the ability to penetrate deeply which is very important with hogs.

The energy equation is the problem and going with an even lighter bullet won't solve that issue.

Sectional density and momentum work together for deep penetration but you really have to pour the gas to lighter bullets just to make up for the loss of energy.

Even with that though, the lighter bullets lack the ability to penetrate deeply which is very important with hogs.
That little bullet will penetrate any hog sectional density is a factor with a sst but that Hammer bullet picking up a extra 200 too 300 fps won't be stopped easily . I don't think you have ever used Hammer bullets then you may have a different opinion of their capabilities they out penetrate Barnes

That little bullet will penetrate any hog sectional density is a factor with a sst but that Hammer bullet picking up a extra 200 too 300 fps won't be stopped easily . I don't think you have ever used Hammer bullets then you may have a different opinion of their capabilities they out penetrate Barnes
The math simply won't support such a contention.

The only advantage Hammers have is that mono's don't loose mass as fast as cup and core bullets.

If your biggest fragment of a cup and core bullet outweighs the remainder of the Hammer after it shed's it's petals you're still going to get deeper penetration out of the cup and core bullet.

Personally I'm pretty well sold on mono's but I recognize their limitations and the fact I have to adjust my thinking to be successful with them.

The math simply won't support such a contention.

The only advantage Hammers have is that mono's don't loose mass as fast as cup and core bullets.

If your biggest fragment of a cup and core bullet outweighs the remainder of the Hammer after it shed's it's petals you're still going to get deeper penetration out of the cup and core bullet.

Personally I'm pretty well sold on mono's but I recognize their limitations and the fact I have to adjust my thinking to be successful with them.
I can tell you with confidence the 97 gr absolute in the 6.5 Grendel compared too the 123 gr sst , the 97 gr will out penetrate and have more retained weight with a impact velocity of well over 200 fps.