6.5 Grendel

Hunting, target, plinking? I'm running the 120gr gold dot in mine this year for whitetail. Running the 107smk for target/plinking because I picked up 1k for stupid cheap.

I am running 120 Speer Gold Dots and Sierra Pro Hunters with IMR 8208 and getting great results. PAY ATTENTION TO PUBLISHED LOADING DATA WITH THE 6.5 GRENDEL IN THE AR PLATFORM. I pass this on from a number of people work with this caliber as well as my own experience or 40 years of hand loading. It is a different critter and if you push the loads over published data thinking that you can back off when you see "normal" pressure signs like in bolt rifles with the 6.5 Grendel you will already be way over pressure for the AR platform. You definably need a chronograph when working up loads. With an 18" barrel with 120/23 gr bullets if you are much over 2500 fps you are over pressure in most loads. I have two ARs in 6.5 Grendel one with 20" and the other with 18" barrel. Don't be surprised if you can't get good accuracy with Hornady 123 SST factory ammo or ANY LOAD using the bullet. Some rifles love this bullet and some hate it and there seems to be no middle or the road from what I am hearing and in my experience. Both of my rifles hate it. I killed a deer last season with the 120 Speer Gold Dot out of the 20" rifle running it 2550 fps WHICH IS MAX in this rifle but it shoot sooooooo good. AWESOME results on the deer. Both my rifles love the 120 Sierra Pro Hunter and that is what I have my 18" rifle set up to use for deer hunting this coming year running it an average of 2500 fps. It all depends on what your intended usage of your rifle will be as to bullets and loads. Give more information please.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.