6.5 Creedmoor load/brass HELP

tbshltn

I am looking for help with my DPMS 6.5. I have not been able to come up with much published load data on this round. I have found some (very little) but not for the 140 sierra hpbt match. i have h4350, varget, 748, and xbr8xxx. I also plan to reload some with 140 Amax as well.
Also i would like to know about forming new brass in hopes of finding something better than hornady brass. I had some 260 brass and thought i would run it through my re sizer and to me it looks like it worked (after trimming alot). I checked the body and neck and they were the same. the shoulder looks the same but i don't have a good way to check that other than human eye. I didn't shoot any of it because I'm scared to due to my inexperience with this.
If anyone has any thoughts, ideas, or info on loads or brass i would greatly appreciate it. :)

Thanks,
Travis

Travis,

I have not yet begun to reload for my 6.5 CM since I just received it on Friday (I got the Ruger M77VT), but I know that in Hodgdon's annual load book / magazine, there is some load information for the 6.5 CM. I am not sure what bullets are listed though I assume the A-Max is since that is the factory bullet. H4350 is the factory powder, as well as 210M Primers. IMR 8208, Varget, H4895 are all listed in the Hodgdon book.

As far as forming new brass, I have no experience with it so I can make no suggestions.

Adair

Travis,

You picked a tough row to hoe here for someone with limited experience (no offense, but by your own admission). You're dealing with a factory cartridge, but one that doesn't have a real wide audience outside competitive circles. Good round, from what I've seen of it, and I'm sure it fills its niche very nicely. But don't expect to find a great deal of data out there for this one. I'd check with Hornady directly, since they were the co-developers of the round, and worked in conjunction with the folks at Creedmmor. That should solve the first issue for you. The other problem is that you're loading for an auto, which is definately a form of advanced handloading. If you don't have one, I'd suggest you pick up a copy of Zediker's "Handloading for Competition" from Sinclair's. There's a wealth of information on handloading accurate ammo, but the part you really need will be the sections where he addresses the specifics of loading for semi-autos. Forget Benchrest techniques where gas guns are concerned. Most won't help you much, many will cause some annoying problems, and some are downright dangerous. Sounds to me like you've handled the forming process just fine, and assuming the brass chambers freely and doesn't have an over abundance of headspace, you're probably good to go. I'd strongly suggest using gages to set up and adjust your dies when loading for an auto, just so you know where you stand in regards to this fit. Might also be worth spending some time on nationalmatch.com or usrifleteam.com to get some feedback from Service Rifle shooters who are more familiar with the quirks associated with these types of rifles. Like I said, it's definately a form of advanced handloading.

Hope that helps, but feel free to ask, always!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Yea I knew it was going to be a rough road when I decided on that round. I just didn't want the same old same old and had read alot of good things about the 6.5cr. Yea I wouldn't consider myself anything other that inexperienced when it comes to hand loading but everyone has to start somewhere :)...Thanks for guidance on the other websites and the book I will have to check those out.

Thanks,
Travis

Kevin, is Lapua going to make us some new 6.5 Creedmoor brass? Also, in the book you mention, does it have information on more advanced reloading, such as neck turning, fire forming, forming brass from a different cartridge etc? The best book in my minute library is Lyman's 49th.

Thanks,

Adair

ADAIR,

Haven't heard anything about this, but I think it's pretty safe to say no, it's not very likely. We make a cartridge that's very similar, the 6.5x47 Lapua. Somehow, I suspect that Dennis and the Hornady crew were eyeing this one when they whupped up the 6.5 Creedmoor.

As to the Zediker book, I believe he touches on these issues (I don't have my copy here in the office right now), but there's probably some better sources for such specific questions. Precision Shooting Magazine has put out some books, including one on reloading for competition that was very good. John Feamster wrote a chapter in that one specifc to the Service Rifle. There were other chapters on the quirks and problems of reloading belted cases, and an entire section on Benchrest reloading. Have to verify the name, but if you call Precision Shooting, you should be able to order directly from them. Sinclair used to offer a reloading handbook that was excellent, and updated every so often. Last time I spoke to Bill Gravatt, he mentioned that he'd been working on the latest edition (11th, I think) but just hadn't put it to bed yet. I think the 10th is out of print now, but if you can locate a copy, they're good little guides. No reloading data, but excellent info on procedures and practices that will give you better reloaded ammo.

The Lyman 49th is an excellent start, but there's plenty of good books out there that you'd enjoy. I'll take a look at my own shelves and see if anything else jumps out at me.

Hope that helps!

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

I have been shooting the 6.5 CM for about 6 months now and found using the new IMR4007ssc powder 35.0 gr to 39.0gr (C) with a 140gr an extremely good load. I load at 80% of load which is 38.2 gr Hornady also has load data in their new manual.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.