Need help with 6.5 creedmoor loads

TristanTilberg

I am picking up a Ruger m77 mkII target in 6.5 creedmoor and have not purchased reloading components yet but leaning towards 140gr berger hunting vlds and obviously Hornady brass. I would like to know whats working for everyone else and load data I am hoping to reach 2900+fps with a 28" barrel please help me out.

2900 in a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 140gr pill is moving along pretty fast my friend... Not entirely sure that is going to prove do-able. For reference the factory load uses H4350 and a Fed 210M primer and used to be listed at 2800 fps with a 28" barrel. Very accurate ammunition.

I appreciate your input dierel the reason I would like 2900+ is for hunting at long range in my opinion every little bit helps. I also have not seen much information on different powders and was hoping there was some stellar load people had worked up.

I'll have to ask my buddy what his exact recipe is but his 6.5 is a tack driver!! I know he's seating his bullets just back off the lands and using 4831 sc, federal match primers and the burgers and he's convinced that's the ticket. He took an elk at about 400 through some fog this year so I know it works.

I am picking up a Ruger m77 mkII target in 6.5 creedmoor and have not purchased reloading components yet but leaning towards 140gr berger hunting vlds and obviously Hornady brass. I would like to know whats working for everyone else and load data I am hoping to reach 2900+fps with a 28" barrel please help me out.
petersen and lapua make better brass

You might get there if you can find some R26.

John

If you are trying to get to 2800 fps you may want to look at the small primer pocket Lapua brass. It holds up a little better at high pressures (primer pockets stay tight a little longer).

You won't reach 2900fps, with Hornady brass, even in a 28" barrel and that's using good ole RL17. As good as Hornady brass is, it's not that good, for what your trying to accomplish. For that kind of result, use Starline SRP 6.5CM or Peterson SRP 6.5CM with RL17(if you can get it), that should get you real close to your goal?! Through my testing with these components, I found that a 26" barreled 6.5CM with a 140gr bullet, could be right on the heels of my 26" 6.5 Norma, in a smaller case, safely even...WTH.

Something tells me he figured this one out already.

Attachments

• Snapchat-132485587.jpg
    Snapchat-132485587.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 32
I appreciate your input dierel the reason I would like 2900+ is for hunting at long range in my opinion every little bit helps. I also have not seen much information on different powders and was hoping there was some stellar load people had worked I wi

If you are trying to get to 2800 fps you may want tolook at the small primer pocket Lapua brass. It holds up a little better at high pressures (primer pockets stay tight a little longer).
smaller primer pocket equates to more brass around the primer....makes sense. Use small magnum primer for better ignition