6.5 Creedmoor build 2K budget

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for an elk hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.
Legacy Sports out of Nevada...HOwa AP
Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for an elk hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.
Legacy Sports out of Neveda.....HOWA packages on APC .....and HCR....scope,hard case, bipod,muzzle brake and unbelievable accuracy out of box with factory shells. Look em up on YouTube... complete package for 1500.00 I have 5 and ordered 2 more for friends. Bottom 3 shots working up.....sight in....next 10...using factory Hornady 143 gr....speak for themselves. 10 0 yards. 500 yards 2.275"
IMG_20180906_190227.jpg

I agree with "light shooter", the 6.5 CM is great at long range for targets and antelope or coyotes but not big deer and especially elk. I have 6.5 CM rifles in both competition (RPR) and hunting (X-Bolt Pro) but I know that cartridge's limitations. For elk I have a .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt.

That's why the 30 PRC interests me so much. It is designed to overcome problems of the .300 Win mag (belt & head spacing), .300 Norma mag (neck & COAL W/long bullets), and 30 Nosler (overbore/short barrel life, kicks like hell).

If that 30 PRC is too much recoil the 6.5 PRC will kill bull elk to 500 yards with regularity.

Why do I like the PRC cartridges? Because Hornady has put a lot of design thought into them and while they are not blazing fast barrel burners they are quite flat shooting with the above named problems solved.

Eric B.

How many elk you guys think have been killed with a 270 130 grain bullet. Not much difference energy wise in a 270 with a 130 and a creedmoor with a 140. Both will get you around 1500ftlb's at 300 yards with the 6.5 having better sectional density there for penetrating better. Nobody says anything if somebody is elk hunting with a 270 but god forbid they bust out a creedmoor.
Fair enough.270 and 6.5 CM might have similar energy have similar energy at modest SHORTER ranges and can get the job done. However, my point was if you're starting fresh build or buying a dedicated elk rifle why would you choose a 6.5 CM or .270 for that matter.
Get the right tool for the job.
I'm not knocking the CM. I have one and love it but I won't take it elk hunting.

I agree with like hiker. I have several 6.5 mm rifles including 6.5x47 that I compete at 1000yard f class. I am extremely aware of what a gust of wind will do to a shot string. Look up the drifts a different bullets to get my point. If you want to hunt be a hunter. I'd shoot an antelope at distance but not an elk with small caliber bullets but use 30s for the big ones. I guess everyone is watching the shows and is an expert

I'm doing the same thing. Building a 6.5 CM..... For my 10 year old daughter.

Bought a savage. Glass bedded. Had a brake put on. Redid the trigger by watching YouTube. Bought a vortex scope. Haven't shot it yet. Waiting on the stock to repaint after sanding all the mold marks off and free floating.

Can't go wrong with that 7MM Good luck on the build.

in my mind a purpose built or bought elk rifle = .30 cal or .338 cal ..... that being said, whichever i could shoot well from field positions.

You might want to look into the Browning Hell's Canyon long range rifle. Bought one for my son in 6.5 CM and it shoots like a dream. Sub MOA. Gun by itself is between 1.1k-1.3k. With good optics you can stay under 2k-2.5k.

Legacy Sports out of Nevada...HOwa AP

Legacy Sports out of Neveda.....HOWA packages on APC .....and HCR....scope,hard case, bipod,muzzle brake and unbelievable accuracy out of box with factory shells. Look em up on YouTube... complete package for 1500.00 I have 5 and ordered 2 more for friends. Bottom 3 shots working up.....sight in....next 10...using factory Hornady 143 gr....speak for themselves. 10 0 yards. 500 yards 2.275"View attachment 121438
And don't tell anyone else ...lol...these guns shoot and are harder than hell to get in Canada...do don need anyone else buying them

If you want a 6.5 buy an unabused 700 and build a 6.5-284 Norma

I know a fella with one for sale ;)

I don't disagree with much is this thread, but need to add one fact: All elk are not the same.

Where I live in Wyoming and hunt in Eastern Idaho an elk can range from a 200 pound calf to an 850 plus pound bull. Elk are tough animals for sure, but the anatomy has the vital zone farther forward and lower than most expect. I suspect that fact accounts in part for their reputation as being bullet proof.

So let's assume you shoot that 850 pound 7 x 6 and the shot him a little too far back and the elk is a little too far away. With the 6.5 CM, you have a wounded animal. With a .300 WM, you have a good chance of a dead animal.

My son and I shoot two large bulls almost every year. We both shoot 200 gr. Barnes LRX in .300 WM running close to 2,900 fps. We both have put two bullets into the same spot on elk at less than 200 yards more than once because the elk absorbs the first round and stands there thinking, "that's the best you got?" The elk is dead but just doesn't know it yet.

Didn't some once say, "Bring enough gun."

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.

Get more money!! If you are going to buy factory made rifle then get a Savage Hunter model, put a muzzle brake on it and then you should be able to get a leupold VX-3i scope..

If you get a Remington you have maybe a 50/50 chance it will shoot good. They don't pay attention to the direction of the broach when fitting the barrel to the action, Savage does and it makes a difference.

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for a deer hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.

6.5 Creedmoor rifles
$Hi to Low

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/cat...reedmoor&pp=30&sortby=priceDescend&sortType=1

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.